In need of new tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vomitbomb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a stock 2012 D40 (Thai built) and I'm pretty over these Grandtrek AT20s. Only have about 36k on the clock but they're complete rubbish. Lately I've noticed excessive squealing in the dry, using a round-about for example, and sliding out much too easily in the wet.

One was even punctured by a stick on a trip earlier this year (image attached). I'm not exactly sure if it's a common occurrence or not but my mates seemed to think my pansy tyres were a bit of a laugh.

So I was thinking about getting some AT's as my mates suggested would be built tougher and probably last longer anyway. Besides, I'm going up the high country this weekend so it probably won't hurt to have some decent rubber.

Anyway, I was looking at going up to 265/75R16's to get that little bit more clearance but I have been reading these forums (and others) for hours and it appears as if this size fits for some people (no rubbing etc) while it doesn't for others. Are some treads/brands slightly different in size/shape? I swear for every person that says it fits no worries there's another that says it's scrubbing. :hmmmm:

Is there a definitive answer or do I have to try and see?

Attachments

• 20130310_145758.jpg
    20130310_145758.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
All tyres have a rolling diameter which varies allot between brands, even if labeled the same size. I was going to buy bfg m/t km2's but the size I wanted had a rolling diameter 21mm larger than standard thus rendering them ' illegal'. I ended up buying hankook dynapro m/it's in the same size and they were an increase of only 14mm. Just as well cause they are awesome tyres and heaps cheaper than bfg's. Wasn't worried about scrubbing as we've been lifted. A little bit of scrubbing won't hurt you, it's mainly only the plastic guards and you can trim those accordingly. Hankook do an a/t in the dynapro range, well worth a look as I've got 40,000km on my m/t's, almost 20 thousand towinga 2.5t caravan on bitumen, still probably 50%. Bugger all road noise and good grip, even in wet, can safely assume their a/t's would be better if favouring the sealed surfaces as I tend to do.

ive got the hankook at on the back very good tyre got 55k kms out of them so far and still have heaps of tread

All tyres are different as the different manufactures seem to take there measurements from different spots, like tread width or from the waist some will say 265 and it has been measured across the tread while others do it from the side(waist) this then alters the height of the tyre due to the profile being a % of the width.

I had 265/75/16's mickey T's on my 2010 D40 for around 1000km before i got the lift and never had any scrubbing at all, and as mentioned even if it did scrub it would only be very minor and would be able to be sorted with a heat gun.

Im now running 285/75/16 kuhmo kl71 MT with only a 2"lift all i had to do was trim the bottom inside corner of the guard and heat the inner plastic guard, and no scrubbing, however it does rub ever so slightly on the chassis rail on full lock with low tyre pressure, as i said its only a touch just enough to clear the dirt off in that spot.

Cheers for the info guys. I was looking at the BFG ATs since a lot of mates have run them without issue, plus they're still highly regarded it seems.

Interesting to hear about how tyres are measured although I'm still perplexed. In one post the op says the 265/75R16s did scrub while another says they didn't (same tyres). I wonder if there's slight differences between D40s in the last few years.

Anyone put these tyres on the same nav as mine?

there is a a difference in the rim offset between spain and thai models, but i have not really heard of anyone having troubles with 265/75/16's and as you can see from my thread count i have read a few post and the overwhelming opinion that resinates in my memory and experience is they will fit no problems.
as i said earlier i had a thai built with 265/75/16's and they were no problems at all even at 16psi or 40psi.
If you are worried and dont believe me or others just put 265/70/16 which will be slightly lower profile.

Hi Nathan,

As you said the tyres can be slightly different in size depending on where the manufacturers decide to measure them from. So your Micky T's might be a little different to BFG ATs.

For example; http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=809&page=3 Aussie Frontiers tyres fit no problems while in http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=559&page=2 rafnavs scrub - Both BFG ATs on D40s.

I might look at 255/75/R16s or 265/70/R16s if I'm feeling overly cautious unless it's simple to stop them rubbing if that does happen.

Hi Nathan,

As you said the tyres can be slightly different in size depending on where the manufacturers decide to measure them from. So your Micky T's might be a little different to BFG ATs.

For example; http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=809&page=3 Aussie Frontiers tyres fit no problems while in http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=559&page=2 rafnavs scrub - Both BFG ATs on D40s.

I might look at 255/75/R16s or 265/70/R16s if I'm feeling overly cautious unless it's simple to stop them rubbing if that does happen.

the prob with Rafnavs is two fold, also aussie's is a spain built and Rafnav's is a Thai
1) he has changed the rims and therefor the offset.
2) he still has the stock bumper and no bullbar

Also if you put a Mickey T atz 4Rib next to a bfg A/T you will see the mickey is slightly larger.

Nothing wrong with BFG AT's mate - a good tyre, reputation built on success. Have used plenty of them over the years with minimal issues.

Am currently running Bridgestone 697's and am stoked with them (for what they are). Would recommend if you are after another option.

Size 265/75R16 no rubbing up front, but will touch rear chassis rails under hard articulation. Slow going though, with that kind of movement so no probs.

Your stock original tyres won't be LT (light truck) construction and therefore will be rendered useless by the most inane objects out in the bush.
I won't tell you what size to get as I have a D22 but I know there are not many options when it comes to 265 70 r16, many all terrains in a LT construction are 265 75 r16, it's far more common.
I have Bridgestone Dueller 693's that I bought used and really like them, a friend at work had these and got 100, 000k's out of them with proper care, pressures and rotation and so far look to be wearing very well for me too, really though any of the top brands should be pretty good.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up getting BFG ATs in 265/75/16 and they don't scrub at all.

Attachments

• 2013-10-31 18.20.27.jpg
    2013-10-31 18.20.27.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back