Jayco Expanda Outback feedback

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourocker

Reaction score
The wife and I just recently sold our soft floor camper trailer to raise money for our daughters operation in January, it's not all doom and gloom we wanted to upgrade to something else anyway so it's the perfect time to move on.
After we're over the financial part we'll start saving for the replacement but it's so hard to decide what exactly to replace it with, we've started becoming interested in the various forms of Jayco Expanda Outback's we've seen on Gumtree and Caravan camping sales etc but would really like some first hand experience from any one who's owned one, I realise they're not as off road as a full blown Kedron but surely they can tolerate some abuse without a massive failure.
I rarely post questions but due to the expense I'd really like to get to know what I'm dealing with.

They are good value for the money. You are rite that they may not be the toughest in build quality but with a little work you can make them better. Just something to look at to when you buy. Look at new verses second hand. From experience there could only be a couple of grand in it. When I bought my Jayco outback camper I only payed three grand more for a new one. They hold their value. I am going to update to the expander myself. Easy and fast setup and a little more compact than some vans. Good luck with it.

Cheers.

Build quality is the word ! In my opinion you get what you pay for . I purchased a second hand Golf . And its quality is so much superior than jayco its not funny .:rolleyes:

I agree with you. But at near 1/3 the price of some vans to buy they are a good start to get into the market and for what most will use it for they do the job. But if you are planing to do a lot of outback remote trips, spend the extra and buy a quality van. If you are going to just go to van parks just off the blacktop then a Jayco will do the job for most. That only my opinion by the way. Others may not agree.

Cheers.

Thanks for providing some feedback, my parents suggested them as an option to check out because we've come from a full off road soft floor and could literally take it anywhere, they thought it might be a good compromise for space.
They've had a Jayco Destiny since 2007, it's not off road and they've never taken it off road but they have had heaps and I mean heaps of holidays (they're retired) in it and don't have any complaints but obviously I'm unsure of the off road aspect.
One things definate, it must be made in Australia.

Windsor Rapid, heaps better than Junko :p

or if you got a bit more coin to throw a millard explorer, you wont find any pics of a new one online they are only built for one yard in Australia. They have cruisemaster independent suspension solar inverters etc. standard but your probably aroung the 58k mark and has no fold out bits

I've had a few jayco camper vans and now looking at buying another.
Firstly, they don't tolerate rough tracks and corrugated roads well with inside getting a little out of shape.. i.e. draws don't quite close right, frames gets a little lose.
In terms of value, I was looking at a new eagle, best price was $20420 plus a few extras yet they are asking $18000 for a 6 year old one so i agree with what others have said..compare new to second hand for a few grand.
$ for $ i reckon jayco have a great product. My first eagle did everything well, was comfy and had everything i needed, upgraded and same except my father in law borrowed it and took it to birdsville and then up the cape and it suffered a little as above and then it was stolen so now buying an off road flamingo with a few extra's. There are better quality units in other brands but u pay a lot more and frankly, for what I've put mine through, i don't think they are worth it.. In a nutshell id say they are great as long as your not rough on it and their off-road vans aren't real off road vans, they simply give you a little extra clearance and ok for light dirt tracks.

The wife and I just recently sold our soft floor camper trailer to raise money for our daughters operation in January, it's not all doom and gloom we wanted to upgrade to something else anyway so it's the perfect time to move on.
After we're over the financial part we'll start saving for the replacement but it's so hard to decide what exactly to replace it with, we've started becoming interested in the various forms of Jayco Expanda Outback's we've seen on Gumtree and Caravan camping sales etc but would really like some first hand experience from any one who's owned one, I realise they're not as off road as a full blown Kedron but surely they can tolerate some abuse without a massive failure.
I rarely post questions but due to the expense I'd really like to get to know what I'm dealing with.

Scroll through this thread of 6 pages from a tried and well tested Jayco. Should put your mind at rest for their potential. Pace.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/stone-stompers-mods-to-our-16-49-3.233/

Thanks for your input, I really like the Flamingo layout too and from all my research so far I think you have summed it up perfectly, incidently I recently had opportunity to check out the Golf campers and they're a copy of a Jayco, not really different in price or build quality, made in China and imported / distributed by Avan.
I won't be buing one of these as that would be pointless, luckily we have some time to research.

need to watch your loads in the Junko's. most can only take an extra 2 to 300kg of gear that includes in most cases gas bottles water in tanks and everything else you add. There is a good reason most of the grey nomads call them junko's and a host of other names as well.

need to watch your loads in the Junko's. most can only take an extra 2 to 300kg of gear that includes in most cases gas bottles water in tanks and everything else you add. There is a good reason most of the grey nomads call them junko's and a host of other names as well.

It's a shame really because they have a great idea in the Expanda series, heaps of potential.

Jayco Outback caravans.

Hi All, I know this is an old subject but anyone considering buying a Jayco Outback caravan may be interested in my comments, We purchased a new 17' Jayco StarCraft Outback Poptop in January this year, at this point we have travelled around 6000km and can say that we are totally happy with what we got. The build quality on Jayco 'vans has improved out of sight, this is our third Jayco in a long line of some seven caravans going back almost 30 years. I must say here that Jayco Outback caravans are NOT 'off road' caravans, the company goes to a lot of trouble to explain that to buyers, they are better described as 'dirt road' vans, their heavier chassis, suspension and increased ground clearance will allow them to be taken into places a normal blacktop 'van might baulk at, if you want a true Off Road 'van such as a Kedron or Bushtracker you will need to find many more dollars over what your Jayco cost.
We have only had minor issues with ours, the front vinyl stone protection covering was not secured correctly and the radio (with its tiny 'rubber ducky' antenna) is useless away from town. The hot water system and ensuite are a godsend. We opted for the larger 150L fridge but this meant that the air conditioner, which would usually be wall mounted, was instead installed on the roof, it does work exceptionally well up there and sends cool air to both extremities of the caravan very quickly, the downside is that it requires extra effort to pop the top. All in all we are happy campers and if I sound like I may have interests in Jayco Caravans I don't, just happy to pass on our thoughts.
Oh, one thing I just thought of, in some of the lower cupboards Jayco in their wisdom have brought some hoses and cables up through the floor right dead centre in the cupboard making the cupboard quite useless for anything!..Im going to fix this myself reasonably easy however.
Paul and Pam
Brisbane.

Attachments

• Isla Gorge 2014 01_2.jpg
    Isla Gorge 2014 01_2.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back