Poptop in garage

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knickers

Reaction score
Hi all, I am building a house soon and as it is still in design stage, i have time to do some planning. The question is, will a Poptop caravan fit under a standard height garage roller door opening? I dont have one yet, but it is on my wishlist in the next couple of years. I have 2 options, i could spend the extra and get high ceilings, but the cost of lifting the ceiling height to 2550mm or 2700mm is quite high. The other option would be to drop the garage floor by 120mm??? Do i need to worry about either though, and do any of you forum folk store a poptop in a standard height garage?

Hi Knickers

I was thinking of getting a pop top . measured our car port and roller doors sadly missed out by around 150mm :(
Did how ever have the option of putting those little wheels on and off just to get it in and out , Seemed like to much hastle

You will have no hope of getting a van like a pop top or expander under a standard hight door. I build my garage with a door opening of 2.5 meters and I still mis by 50mm. I built mine at the time just so a lifted 4x4 would fit in and now wish I thought of fitting a van in at the design stage. Your best bet would be to go check out some vans and get some heights. Or check online and download some brochures. Remember to allow for the door as doesn't open all the way to the top of the opening.
Good luck with the build. Exciting times ahead.

My father in law has a pop top and it just scrapers the rubber on the bottom of the roller door. Can you get the roller door lifted up and boxed into the ceiling so that the lowest edge of the door is no lower than the ceiling. Also is your driveway going to be flat? If you have a hill (like I do) the back of the van will be pointing up on the approach. Maybe google some pop top models and get an average height

G'day Knickers. I have an Outback Expanda pop top and there is no way it will fit through a normal garage opening. I had a shed built with 2700 walls but the roller door still does not open enough to get the van in so I had to put a lean to on the side of the shed and dug the floor down another 300mm and did not fit a door, just a shade cloth pull across screen. The van is around 2400 high plus a vent over the shower/toilet.

My shed is 3m high with 2.7m door opening my offroad poptop fits with about 100mm or so to spare but I wish I had of gone higher when the shed was built 10 yr ago because I wouldn't be able to fit a full size van in there, and back then it cost me $16000 for a 9 x 7 x 3m built, and I have recently been quoted $14900 for a 9 x 6m open awning to come off it.

Latest posts

Back