premature rear drum brake failure

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J13NST

Reaction score
Bought d40 back in Feb, recently done 20k km servicing done.
while inspection my mechanic said there is brake failure on rear right hand side brake. he said pad melted and were stuck on my drum. he said he couldn't even get it off with chisel. he said this is most likely would be faulty brake and asked to take to nissan for warranty.
So i booked to see local nissan dealership.
Told them about the brakes they were saying its damaged from my local mechanic while they removed it. i said have look at picture if you can damage like that by removing.
This is where blaming game started.
The photo was taken previous day before they refitted drum back on the car. At that time there were no sand or dirt and inspection grommet was there.
walla after 2hrs wait at dealership. they said grommet was missing and found dirt and sands and looked very fresh.. ones like sitting front of the dealership garden.

the thing you see on drum isn't dirt or sand grimes.. it's actually brake dust melted and stuck for good.

this is the photos taken before it went to dealership.

Last edited:
and here are photo from dealership. walla with dirts and sands.. i wonder where it came from..

they were saying dirt and sand caused the issue of failure and dirt and sand got inside the brake where grommet gone missing. i just laughed and told them to put that in writing. I showed them the photo how it was before it put together before I went to dealership. and they said "that past lets talk about whats in front of us. do you see dirt and sand?" are they really fcked up in the head?
oh and they said photo that taken before i got here is left hand side.. i said why is mud flap is showing on the left. and other doosh bag said do you wash your car after 4wd because certainly don't looks like it. So since when i need to wash inside the brake?

Last edited:
So I took their report to local mechanic and they had good laugh as well. they said take it to fair trading. they are more than happy to get involved with this matter. Local mechanic specialized in European high end cars I think i have better faith in them then Nissan apprentice mechanic. oh and i took to other nissan dealer and they said something about brake not adjusted properly. which never been touched. anyway I have decided to take this further. i know it's only $300 to fix but I just dont' like how nissan treat customer so crap. So i will give them crap too

yeah standup for whats is right, the more people that do it the more the average joe will hopefully be treated.

No good at all mate, it does get frustrating in situations like yours.

Have you done any water crossings? or beach driving?

done trip to stockton and creek crossing. but if that causes brake failure its serious issue for 4 wd car though.. i dont reslly care if i dont win i still want to raise the complaint. will inform you guys the outcome

Hmm glad I came across this. I bought my nav from lander in nov 13. Will definitely be double checking the services and marking filters

Disregarding everything else those shoes look like there worn down so low in 20,000K. The scouring on the vertical wall of the drum. Something is going on there and i don't think it's driver or conditions related even with a bit of ingress of dirty and crud.

From what I can see you would have had to drive around with the handbrake on for a while to cause that damage. Ive done it on a different car. Drove 150kms with the handbrake mostly on. Didn't look as bad as that.

Any more info on this case against Nissan

Hmm glad I came across this. I bought my nav from lander in nov 13. Will definitely be double checking the services and marking filters
I also bought mine from Lander Blacktown back in 2012. The whole exercise from Sales thru to Service was like having teeth pulled.Never ever again!

Back