what to see

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljacko78

Reaction score
Lads

So I'm down in Melbourne visiting the mother in law for 8 days (no ute this time) and thinking of doing a run out to Dandenong and also to 12 Apostles. I'm looking for some things to see on the way out to each that I won't find in a tourist map or basic google search.

I'll have like 2 days on the 12 Aps side, then some time in Melbourne, then 2 days ish out towards Dandenong. I am particularily interested to see things on the way out (i.e. the tourist map I have doesn't show much to see for eg between Melbourne and Princetown...)

Any tips would be great.

ta

Lj

Last edited:
Not much in Dandenong mate!! lol Im guessing your talking about mount dandenong etc?
Great Ocean rd is always a nice drive but i dont think there is 12 appostles any more probably 9 or 10..

So other than "it's better on the way out", there's got to be some little gems round Melbourne guys.

Lets try in Melbourne... what's good to see / do that people may not be readily known.

Lj

I was going to hold back suggesting this and let Krafty do it (because I know how fond he is of his in-laws) but I guess it's my turn.

Visiting the in-laws in Melbourne is the perfect excuse for a short trip to the Pilbara or Kakadu. Take a kayak from Port Philip Bay and start paddling. You can launch from any one of 6 ramps at the Mornington Peninsula if you want a slightly shorter trip.

Out of the ordinary for a queenslander, the fairy penguins at st kilda, I don't know the rules or regs for access or if there is any

Out of the ordinary for a queenslander, the fairy penguins at st kilda, I don't know the rules or regs for access or if there is any

Cost you a packet to sit among 40 or 50 chinese/ japanese tourists and their bloody cameras - but otherwise a great suggestion

I was going to hold back suggesting this and let Krafty do it (because I know how fond he is of his in-laws) but I guess it's my turn.

Visiting the in-laws in Melbourne is the perfect excuse for a short trip to the Pilbara or Kakadu. Take a kayak from Port Philip Bay and start paddling. You can launch from any one of 6 ramps at the Mornington Peninsula if you want a slightly shorter trip.

Rofl

Penguins - maybe....

Is there anything interesting near Bells Beach other than the obvious beach?

Out towards the 12 apostles/GOR... You could head out to Gellibrand/Forrest/Beech Forest and try the local pubs etc... Forrest has a micro-brewery if you'd prefer that. Mind you, I prefer the recently revamped/reopened "Wonky Donkey" in Forrest (that's the name of the pub).
There is also the Otway Fly up near Beech Forest, which is a tree top walk in the bush. I've not been there, but apparently its pretty cool. Not sure how much, but i'm sure there would be a website for it somewhere.

If you had your 4by you could try some of the tracks in the Otways, we've just opened our tracks up after the winter closures.

Great Ocean Rd is cool.

It's a lovely drive but when we did it there was bumper-to-bumper traffic from before Torquay to Apollo Bay. After the right-hand turn at the hotel in Apollo Bay it was peaceful.

Still think you need a flotation vest and a decent set of paddles. Maybe a helmet too, them penguins get a little narky.

If you go down the great ocean road from Melbourne then when you come back you can go to queenscliff catch the ferry and drive up along the other side of the port Philip bay. Nice stop would be Arthur seat and you can enjoy some wine at the wineries on red hill.
On the Great ocean road there are heaps of nice places but with only two days you better stick to the most tourist ones.
If you go up Mt Dandenong it is a nice drive with a view of Melbourne when you get up top. Up in Olinda you have the Cuckoo restaurant (http://www.cuckoorestaurant.com.au/) for something different.
Enjoy it

Also Cape Otway Light Station it is really worth a visit IMHO.
If I remember you have to turn left from the Great Ocean rd (going South) and you should cross a hilly area, look up and when you see gum trees with no leaves left on you should also see heaps of wild Koalas.

Thanks for the ferry idea and the tree tops walks. The missus seemed to like them

Tony - she wasn't impressed :)

Lj

The otway fly is much more than a treetop walk. Google it and have a look on the website. It's great fun - a pretty big flying fox.

Trip to Melbourne was great. 12 Apostles and Great Ocean Road was as good as people say. Did not realise how close the other cliffs and islands were to the 12... basically spent a day walking just about every track, good parking

Loved the GOR between Appollo Bay and Airle - the missus got sick of me saying I wish I had a motorbike. Wasn't that impressed with Cape Ootoway light house (more so the staff were crap). The lighthouse at SPlit Point was more interesting even tho could get inside it.

Went to the Puffy Billy train from Belgrave (train broke after two stop so waited an hour for a diesel to rescue us). Having done Lithgow and Cairns trains this one wasn't as spectacular but still nice. Getting charged a fee to got the Mt Dandenong lookout (Observatory Rd) was a bit rich.

Among other things we did see, the missus loves dancing so off to the Dance Sport Championships. All up great holiday!

Cheers for the tips

Latest posts

Back