STX - alot of smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzhill

Reaction score
hey everyone- very curious to know , if other stx,s blow as much
smoke as my 08 TD stx? is it a common problem? am i just being paranoid...
i know diesels blow when u get up them or under load, but mine seems
to smoke when starting off every time, and going through the gears.
once up and going the smoke stops ... any thoughts !!!

Hi Mate,

we had this thread not so long ago and it seems to be a common problem with the STX. Still not sure if its meant to happen as much as it does but one of the other guys, I think Navman_brent said he used some BP premium diesel and he said it was a lot better so it may just come down the fuel we all use. I am yet to use this in mine but mine blows smoke as well..

Look at it this way.....people don't want to see the back end of a Navara when you blow they off at the lights so now they can't......:victory:

Hi Mate,

we had this thread not so long ago and it seems to be a common problem with the STX. Still not sure if its meant to happen as much as it does but one of the other guys, I think Navman_brent said he used some BP premium diesel and he said it was a lot better so it may just come down the fuel we all use. I am yet to use this in mine but mine blows smoke as well..

Look at it this way.....people don't want to see the back end of a Navara when you blow they off at the lights so now they can't......:victory:

cheers bro -- will look for the thread.

no modern diesel should smoke at all.

common faults are crappy fuel, dirty air filter, dirty maf or fuel pressure data not being reset after fuel filter changes.

Hi tweak'e, I know what yoyr saying but it seems to be all D40's that have this problem. It must be the fuel we run out here.

There was mention of using the premium diesel so I will try that out and post the results.

We are you located??

probably shit fuel or the service guys there are slack.
i'm just north of auck NZ.
fill in your location details it helps to know which country your in.
if you have premium diesel then you must be in AU.

unfortunately Aussie has a really bad culture of thinking smoking diesels is a good thing so its not to surprising the fuel companies get away with crap fuel and the mechanics get away with poor workmanship.
over here you don't get a WOF if its smokes. its quite rare now to see a smoky vehicle. i've seen more smoky late model common rail vehicles than 20 year old motors. it may be a case of local mechanics not up with the play with modern systems.

I followed a STX yesterday that was puffing like a steam train.Mine gives a small puff on gear changes,i saw a D22 3.0 the other day that was the same. I buy my fuel from the major suppliers only because i was warned by a truckie that the smaller chains fuel is not as good.

if its puffing on/off a bit like a train, often it can be EGR system not working correctly. quite possible crap fuel puts all the other systems out of wack.
a comment from another forum....

Up until about three years ago New Zealands standard for diesel fuel was among the lowest in the world in fact there was not much difference between it and the fuel used in the old central heating units. No one realised how bad it was until the companies like Gull started bringing in imported diesel. The difference was quite significant as found out with my old 2.7 turbo Terrano. If i tried to maintain 100kph going up the Bombays by the time you got to the top you would be down to 85 kph and that was flooring it at the bottom. With my first tank of Gull I was cruising along at 100 and floored it by the time we got to the top we were up to 125. For a long time Gull was the only fuel I ever used. The word soon got around and the fuel companies here had to raise their standard and now there is not much difference between any of them.

Latest posts

Back