bleeding fuel lines

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colby

Reaction score
Hi this might be a stupid question but i just changed the fuel filter and now my car wont start, i have pushed the black bleeding plunge on top of the fuel filter a heap but still no luck. Is there somewhere else i should be bleeding it from thanks.

go search for the fuel filter guide a few people have posted.

most important thing here is DO NOT TRY TO START ENGINE.
you will have a big lot of air in the injection pump, trying to start it can stuff the pump.
take the outlet house off the fuel filter. pump the primer until fuel comes out. if it doesn't come out (it may take a while to pump it up especially if its drained back to tank) you will need to either fill manually with CLEAN fuel or fit a pump at the tank and pump it up.
if you fill it manually make sure you fill the fuel hoses to.

after filter is full of fuel, refit outlet hose and continue to pump. it should get hard but you will need to keep pumping. you have to fill the injection pump with fuel which can be quite hard to do. you may have to bump the engine over a bit and continue pumping the primer. by now your hand should be almost falling off !

try to get the pump as full as possible before trying to start it. when you do get it started continue pumping the primer a bit more, you need to get any air out of the system as fast as possible.

Ok so i should have checked this before i started! well i have turned the engine over a fair bit so hopefully its ok otherwise its gonna be a big $ learning curve, also did a search for the guide but cant seem to find it. pulled the hose off and pumped the primer still not getting hard should i get a hand pump onto it or something thanks

I once tried starting my car when it ran dry on fuel without priming it up first, lucky no damage was done, otherwise get a couple mates and keep pumping (the fuel pump that is) till it gets hard.
Am i correct in saying that you need to hold your pedal to the floor after all that is done and while you try to crank the engine?

i have a thought can i get a hand pump or electric pump onto the last point before the injectors and manually pump it to that point then just hook it up? if so where is the last point before the injectors? sorry not a mechanic but now wish i was cause this is just crap and im over it thanks

Undo your fuel cap too and put it back on again, just in case there is vapour lock. I too cant help you any further, i dont know myself what to do after that.

solidD22's comment just reminded me....... got an air compressor? put the hose into the tank and seal it off with rag etc. use the air pressure to push the fuel through.

ok got it with an air pump into the fuel tank, it must of drained all the way back to the tank as i had to go back to the shop for the right filter. from now on i will be clamping the inlet and outlet hoses. thanks for ur help

i changed fuel filter today and i clamped both lines and i've been pumping like mad man still nothing, i put clear lines on like scotty bobcat told me and i cant see anything coming up yet, so if i get air in the line dont i just have to prime few times to get it out??? everything is tight and sealed so i dont no why it wont come up, what am i doing wrong??

make sure you fit the IN fuel line, then pump. leave the OUT fuel line off until fuel comes out.

i did mine the other day and was a bit slow in clamping the line and fuel drained back to tank. to ages to pump up. the primer is not good at pumping air.

make sure you fit the IN fuel line, then pump. leave the OUT fuel line off until fuel comes out.

i did mine the other day and was a bit slow in clamping the line and fuel drained back to tank. to ages to pump up. the primer is not good at pumping air.

i just gave it another crack and nothing, the fuel is very close to the filter cause i put clear lines on and can see it as i sucked it up with my mouth and it was right there but then i hook it up to filter and pump for ages and nothing, i might try blowing it through with a compressor, i'm starting to think my pump on top is stuffed

one thing to try, put your finger over the outlet. when you push primer down you should get a bit of pressure and a hiss when you move your finger. let the pressure out and put finger back ie use it as a one way valve.

i just got it going by using a compressor to blow the fuel up but my primer still only primes upside down so i'm goin to change the pump on top this week and see how it goes then or i reckon i should bleed the lines first, i haven't worked on diesel b4 so i'm worried to do things myself in case i f... it up, i'm not hearing any hissing either

Has anyone heard of a fuel pump relearn needing to be done once the filter has been changed? The Local Nissan dealer says it needs to be done on the 2.5ltr engines everytime it is changed. I've never heard of such a thing.

On top of the question above.
What is required if you run the tank dry? Owners handbook has nothing, aside from return it to the nearest service centre..........yeah

Has anyone heard of a fuel pump relearn needing to be done once the filter has been changed? The Local Nissan dealer says it needs to be done on the 2.5ltr engines everytime it is changed. I've never heard of such a thing.

on the common rail motors yes.
the ECU stores fuel pressure data. in the manual it says that is to be deleted when you change the pump. BUT afaik its deleted every time Nissan checks for error codes at each service. i've heard of a lot of people changing fuel filters themselves then having large amounts of black smoke. reset fuel data and it clears up.

all that happens is the fuel pressure drops as the filter clogs up. ecu adjusts to suit and stores that data. change fuel filter and fuel pressure goes up causing over fueling and black smoke.

Is there any way of deleting the fuel data yourself or is Nissan the only one who can do it.
I have a power chip on mine and don't particulary want nissan to see it on the vehicle for fear they will void my warranty.

Is there any way of deleting the fuel data yourself or is Nissan the only one who can do it.
I have a power chip on mine and don't particulary want nissan to see it on the vehicle for fear they will void my warranty.

nissan ARE going to know you are using a chip when they plug in there computer diagnostic equipt and milk all the info from the ECU all your readings are going to be excessive to standard BE CAREFULL:devil::devil:

If your concerned about your warranty,
keep your vehicle "factory" untill warranty is over.

Back