Performance gains from chip and exhaust in real life

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshsD22

Reaction score
Gday all,

I am asking the question of the actual performance gains that can be had by installing a chip and an exhaust onto a D22 with the 2.5td engine. After reading DeeJays thread about the DPchip i am surely off them however there was some mention about tuneit or steinbauer does anybody have some wheels to the dyno or even ground experience with those chips. Also with the exhaust it seems to be a toss up between taipan and the beaudesert systems does anyone have any opinions on those.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I got a 3 inch custom mandrel bent exhaust but Jasons beaudesert exhaust is a far better unit. I haven't seen a taipan one.

I have the steinbauer chip. Does it make a difference? Yes! It won't turn it into a race car, but where mine is much better is under load, ie big long hills. It is just excellent. Bear in mind mine is the D40 version of the 2.5 though, they are quite different.

From what I've read, and my own experience changing exhausts, adding chips etc .I think you would be better off going gas injection.

Noticable difference when I changed over my exhaust to the 3" Taipan System, turbo spools quicker and less lag, definitely need a chip to go with it though. I am still undecided between the Steinbauer, Taipan or DP Chips.......My local dyno guys here recommend Steinbauer or Taipan as they are fully programmable for performance or economy changes depending on the vehcile.

G'Day Josh,

I'm still dealing with DP with regard to the chip. I have spoken to Andrew who tested the chip I sent back (a second time). He wound it right up and changed the mapping then sent it back.

The difference is that the "kick" from the turb o is less severe making it better to drive but still not scorching performance. It's good and I like it, but it isn't what they have said on their website.

Andrew ramped up the chip so far he said it would definately trip the engine into Limp home mode if I went to highest setting. It didn't. It just over fuels.

There is something very different about the 2.5 in the D40 compared to the 2.5 in the D22. It was the same when we put the Diesel Power Chip to the test on the dyno whilst I was dynoing the DP chip. It didn't perform as good as the DP chip. I have the feeling no matter what chip you put in, there is something stopping it from really kicking.

The torque is good and towing is a breeze, it's definately better than standard and I now think I'll be doing an exhaust at some point after the suspension to get a bit more out of it again.

DP haven't been bad to deal with so long as you really keep ontop of them. Andrew is extremely hard to get a hold of as he does a lot of traveling.

Bottom line is, I will keep the chip because I like what it does, it's noice to drive with the extra torque. I reckon it now performs as good as my old ZD30 powered STR, and that was all I was really after anyway, anything above that is a bonus.

Cheers,

DJ

Last edited:
Exhaust 1st------(extra exhaust gas from more fuel - chip - needs somewhere to go ) Mine is a 3" mandrel + 3"dump pipe + Hi Flow cat / resonator.........Exhaust alone - diff is unbelieveable........then with a DP chip -I set mine on 5 out of 7 - the ute ( 09 STr ) is actually SAFE to drive - it actually ACCELERATES when you NEED it to ......and as a sideline - when you want it to. 2 excellent mods which for me are worth every cent. Exhaust was by Windsor Exhaust NSW

Thanks for all the replies its good to hear from people that have actually done it and not just all hype. Its nice to hear that firefly you have done the dp chip with the exhaust and you are happy with it. Would you compare the power increase to that of a D40 or a Hilux or would that be going a bit overboard?????

Once again thanks to all if there are anymore out there in the know i would like to hear and i will keep you posted on decisions in the long run.

2.5 D22 Intercooled Navara

27193_106147672745171_100000498163472_165695_6931108_n.jpg

This is a real life Dyno Graph from a Happy customer of a 2.5 D22 Navara. This kit is available as a DIY unit and comes with a tune matched module and 3" Exhuast system read to fit.

You will notice the improvement down low in the rev range where you really want it.

G'Day Josh,

There is something very different about the 2.5 in the D40 compared to the 2.5 in the D22. It was the same when we put the Diesel Power Chip to the test on the dyno whilst I was dynoing the DP chip. It didn't perform as good as the DP chip. I have the feeling no matter what chip you put in, there is something stopping it from really kicking.

Cheers,

DJ

DJ,
You are spot on about the difference between the D40 and D22, They run around 26Kw difference right from factory as a result of a different ECU and the D22 have a smaller Turbo.
Cheers,
Ben

Looking to some dyno time in the near future.
As such this thread interests me.
A bit soon but I would like to test DP, Steinbauer and Pro-bitz.

Probitz????
Found them on Ebay and sent the following e-mail

G'day
A few questions regarding your tuning module.
1. I have found listings on Ebay for the D40 model but do you have one to suit the D22 STR 2.5 Common Rail? Are they one and the same?
2. Is the unit tuneable or is it set as plug and play for a stock engine? What if I am to alter the exhaust and or the turbo dump pipe?
3 Can you quote me a price for sale and shipping to Melbourne Australia for a unit to suit the D22?
4. Is your 30 day trial still applicable outside of GB?
5. Your units are incredibly cheap. 1/5th the price of over the counter units here in Australia but seem to offer alot. I would be interested to get hold of one and test it on a dynomometer / rolling road. This would be a formal test and would be reported to Australian Navara owners through Home . Do you have any problems with that? Also on test will be leading chips / control units here in Australia using a base vehicle.

Cheers for your time and look forward to your response.

Adrian Lewis

The response I got was positive and I am keen to get my hands on one.

Hello Adrian

Yes the unit is one and the same
Its tunable, via a potentiometer (not dip switches)
the price to AUS including shipping is 114.99GBP

The 30 days applies anywhere

We have no problem with a bake off,

Our unit is pretty advanced despite the price,
It out performs most we have tested against here in the EU

But the AUS climate, Altitude, Barometric pressure and fuel quality is different so the unit is unlikely to perform at its stated maximum
It would be interesting to see the results though

You will still more than likely get 90% of the performance you would from hardware 5 x the price
The only reason ours is so much less in cost is the sales strategy
We sell MANY more units at this lower price than we would at 300GBP plus,
Overall although its at a lower margin, we make higher profits over 12 months so its worth it.

Its not made with poor quality components or cheap circuits,
Its manufactured to military standards and ISO9001 processes

Kind Regards

So before I got the chance to ask if anbody was willing to unplug their units and send them to me for testing it has all happened.
Soooo. I'm going to get ours on a Dyno in the coming weeks, I'm going to order one of these cheaper priced units from the UK and I need to ask is anybody willing to unplug they're unit and mail it to me for a test on them based upon a stock vehicle?

Lets settle the debate and produce facts.

I've being playing around with a CR Powerbox. Paid $440. First one didn't work, second one seems OK but only on the highest setting. I doubt it is giving me the power increase claimed. Your more than welcome to give it a try.
I was planning on going to a dyno but finding the time is a little difficult at the moment.

Latest posts

Back