Forefront industries oil air separator small

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malicious

Reaction score
Normally I don't go to the effort of reviewing items but this time I will.
Just got my D40 Navara and after having seen the previous negative effects of pcv blow by on other engines I decided to install a catch can ASAP .
So the hunt began reading this forum led me to Forefront's product on eBay his small oil air separator looked like it would fit with where I had planned.
So I also noticed that Forefront is just up the road from my home of Coffs, I like to deal with locals.
Ordered late on Wednesday woken by courier at 6am Thursday, ok well that's a new record for getting parts I want.
Looking at the filter the build quality is great and definitely worth the money.
Of course time to get busy so out of the box,

Yes already pulled apart and rotated the top , this was one of many reasons I grabbed one.
The instructions however suggest the top should be the outlet and the side the inlet , but when I looked at it all apart into opinion it should be the other way as the top goes direct to the drain hole.
So with that in mind time to mount it up
A quick bracket made from 20x25x1.6 angle aluminium and some 20x1.6 flat for a brace , removed the bracket that holds this sensor

Removed the clip that held the pcv hose and bolted the bracket to the hole left by the clip.
So with it mounted up to the bracket time for a test fit.

Happy with that and by my guess nissan marked the hose where to cut closest to the engine and a small section removed for it to fit at the front.

So as above all in and looks near to stock .
Forefront was great to deal with.
Item is of great quality.
It looks like it should be there.
And the price is cheap for what it can save down the track.
Would I recommend this item ? Yes most definitely.
But does it work? Well testing it now and the result so far is ,
Installed at 249km checked at 650km and what I have seen so far is a film of oil inside the lid a film of oil inside the filter , a film of oil in the drain plug ( yes I have just capped it at this stage as was going away for the weekend )
And the best bit no oil on the out side of the filter or into the hose going back to the intake.
So it works as claimed.
I was surprised by the amount of oil trapped by the filter on such a new engine so would hate to see how much goes in on an engine with a few k's on it when the rings have more wear.
Will keep an eye on it and post more pics over time.
But for how easy this fitted and at the price of only 2 cartons grab it if you don't already have one fitted.

Mal

Last edited:
Had I been a bit more organised I would have taken pics of the bracket etc but just kind of threw it in, but very happy with the factory look of it , will see if the dealer notices it this week on it's 1000k service

Ive got the same one on my d22, great bit of gear, catches a lot of oil in between services too 50-100ml i reckon.

Ive had mine on for a few months now and noticed it wasnt catching any oil....actually took it apart and had a look at it and came to the same conclusion you did....its marked the wrong way round...ive since switched it...looking forward to seeing my drain hose fill up

I had a look over the pics on the forefront ebay store. I'd suggest that the side (lower) barb is specified as the intake because (a) any oil entering is likely to be "flung" to the sides due to cyclonic effect, and drip down the sides of the filter, pooling in the bottom. And (b) in these kind of systems, then intake is generally lower than the outlet because the oil is less likely to "fall up" to the outlet...

Gotta be a better thing than the supercrap one I fitted, so might have to get one too.

Well after being in now for 1000k it's working a treat . When compared to larger similar filters the configuration of inlet and outlet I would definitely recommend it be plumbed the way I have, the side is isolated by the filter from the drain , the top has a baffle in front of the opening.
Will pull it apart and take a pic of filter and insides this week.

ive got the exact same one on my d22. looks stock, that was my biggest thing and yes it filters great. no more oil residue around the turbo inlet like the d22 3.0l r renound for

I've ordered one of these catch cans to replace the supercrap one I currently have. Looking forward to it arriving so I can install it. It'll just be a matter of deciding whether the intercooler is dirty enough to warrant removing it again for another cleanout. (Hopefully it isn't)

Ok well just had the 1000k service done, service manager asked about it told him, he said its good that some people care about their car.
So we took off the lid and did a wipe test with the finger as nothing out the drain yet.
Inside filter

Outside of filter

Yeah damn phone wanted to focus on the ground, but dry as a .........

So what can I say , that crap can stay outta my air intake.
Now for the EGR plate when I get time.

Last edited:
Mine's installed. Nice little separator. No pics yet though.

The only annoyance I found was the size of the nipples on the separator are different to the vehicle. 5/8" (16mm) on the vehicle, 3/4" (19mm) on the separator. Meant I needed to make up adapters using brass fittings to adapt the 5/8" hose coming off the cam cover to step up to the 3/4" hose on the separator. Then, to step down the 3/4" hose off the separator to the 5/8" hose returning to the turbo.

If using original shitty hoses it might be okay, but I used high quality oil resistant hose - no way would the 5/8" stuff go onto the 3/4" separator.

Something to bear in mind for anyone doing the job.

I'm going to attempt this in the holidays can I ask where you plumb the bottom outlet to??
Abs funding the hose's to two into its easy yes? I can figure most things out but not the best at identifying these hoses :/

I'm going to attempt this in the holidays can I ask where you plumb the bottom outlet to??
Abs funding the hose's to two into its easy yes? I can figure most things out but not the best at identifying these hoses :/

Currently, I have some clear reinforced hose connected to the bottom outlet. This hose is then blanked off. It will provide me with a visible indication of whether oil is collecting in the bottom of the separator. If it does, remove the blanking plug, drain the oil into a container for disposal, and reinsert the blanking plug.

Just recieved my forefront catch can yesterday in the mail now to install on my d22. I think the hose might be a problem like doc had. With the different sized fittings between engine and catch can. So will have to try work something out. Might try hose to suit catch can and then tighten the hose clamps on the engine and airbox up a bit more to make them fit those fittings.. hoping that will do it.

bart

Here is my forefront industries catch can installed on my zdnavvy. And after about the 30kms ive driven with it on the engine side has an oil mist over it and the air filter side is clean as. Going on a decent trip for chrissy starting tomorrow so will be able to get a decent test on it.

20131221_170957_zpstxcappc6.jpg

Does anyone have pic of this mod on a 2.5?? iv just ordered mine and want to make sure i get it right.

I recieved one of these right before xmas and ive only just had a chance to see where ill mount it, needless to say I think ill be putting it up for sale... I just dont have any bloody room! (with somewhere to mount is securely anyway)

does anyone have a secret hiding spot to put things?

Latest posts

Back