d40 gear box jamed up - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon909

Reaction score
Hi guys

here's one for ya I was driving through town and 5th and 6th gear started feeling stiff to shift between either way. The 3rd and 4th eventually I pulled over went into neutral and now I cant select a gear not even reverse its jambed in neutral the gear stick will move side to side freely but will not select into a gate and that is clutch in or out car on or off. Any ideas on this one. Im taking the box out tomorrow.

What about when it's not running? How many ks on it? This is what Happened to me when clutch went in previous car.

My guess would be one of the linkages somewhere between the stick and gearbox. If it were the main gearbox then you would probably just lost one or two gears. It's likely that you will be able to sort the issue without splitting the gearbox.

I rebuilt the gearbox on my old Vitara myself, the video might give you a few ideas of what to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70zAu5aouwM

I'm betting the clutch isn't engaging. To test, turn the engine off and try again. It should (fairly) freely move between gears. If so, your clutch is having a spak attack - time to narrow down the reasons. Hydraulics, broken lifter (that's happened before) ... there are a few reasons for it. Also heat-affected pressure plate where the springs don't spring any more - that can do it too.

He said it doesn't matter if the car is on or off. So it might be something else.
I would check the oil in the box. Not sure how many ks you've done or if u have been though any water but a box did this to me once and it was from water in the oil. Im assuming Nissan put the correct oil and amount in it in the first place...Ha ha yeeeear right. You can access the selector and peek inside the box from the top it could be something simple.

Ahh I overlooked that. Must be something in the selector then - perhaps there's been a shift in the box, possible a loose mount causing the lever to not engage properly?

In my old Toymota 4Runner I had something similar. There was a pivot bush on the gear shifter and when the bush cracked it meant the shifter dropped too low for it to select gears properly. Now I know that some in the states have had issues with the gear shifter getting really loose and hard to get gears so maybe there is something in that area
This is a short shifter kit but sorta shows where the pivot bush would be

productimage-picture-prg-sts-4060_t366.jpg

Yeah its a very common design.
I've had it in a sierra. Same simptoms.

Water would be on my mind too.

thanks for all your replies, i have sent it to bears diffs, i had a mechanic come out and take a peak he is thinking the linkage arm in the box the connects the 3 rods to the gears has dislodged or jambed up somehow, i checked that pivot bush all is ok, oils is still clan and no water in it, 70000km on the clock and this isnt the problem but i am replacing the flywheel to a SM and new HD clutch anyways whilst the box is out, oh and yes there is plenty of oil, ill find out tomorrow from bears what the damage is ill let you all no.

ok got the box back, the sychronizer hub on the 5th and 6th rod/arm had a crack in it and it expanded and jambed up on a ring gear seizing the stick.
something so small caused so much issues, but thanks again guys for your answers

Back