Replacement hose for ARB air pump

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryc

Reaction score
Are the fittings on the ARB air pump in plastic box standard fittings?

And what would people recommend for a replacement long (10m) hose?

When we purchased the D22 in 2010, we picked up an ARB compressor(in plastic box) with an extra/extension hose so I could also do the CT.

Normally you connect it, switch it on and it pressurises the hose to cut off pressure, then stops.

Trying to use it yesterday, it just didn't shut off. As I was attempting to run it off an old small car starter battery*, I blamed the battery and the fact that it could need more that the 8amps the battery charger could push out. So I fiddled around and paralleled a 13.5V/15 amp power source in parallel and still have the same problem. The power source is definitely pushing it out as it cooling fans kicks straight in and the dounble set of meter leads is warm to touch.

Finally, the brain kicks in and thinks there must be a leak somewhere and I start running hands along the hose. It wasn't a leaky fitting like I expected, but massive scabs of the plastic casing on the hose were had dropped off in a number of places and the air was flowing out easily. Mutter. It has probably had two uses to top up the tyres in the driveway. Mutter, mutter.

I figure two causes; (a) faulty mixing of the hose material before its manufacture or (b)exposure to chemicals to degrade the hose. Unfortunately for theory (b) both hoses have spent their entire time in the air compressor box and the other hose is as flexible and fresh as new.

So I'll take it past the ARB shop where I purchased it and see if they have seen any thing like that before and see what story they tell.

In any case, I want to pick up a spare non-ARB hose just to cover our backsides if we are out in the scrub. Hence, any recommendations or is this just a case of wandering down to the local air tool shop and picking up a hose?

eplacements. battery replacement

*It was only to pump up the tyres on the tall trolley

There fittings are an American style and not the usual aussi fitting. I changed mine to normal nitto fittings and hose so I can get spares anywere and borrow a mates hose on route if mine blows.

Thanks. I'll probably go the same route as I closely examined the non-leaking hose and noticed that it has started to get the same discolouration patches that leads to the plastic falling off and the hose leaking.

Don't know what brand hose I used as a mate got it for me but try to get a heat tolerant hose as it gets really hot just out of the compressor after about 4 tyres and this is where it will let go....

There fittings are an American style and not the usual aussi fitting. I changed mine to normal nitto fittings and hose so I can get spares anywere and borrow a mates hose on route if mine blows.

Thanks. I'll probably go the same route as I closely examined the non-leaking hose and noticed that it has started to get the same discolouration patches that leads to the plastic falling off and the hose leaking.

Better get mine out of the box and have a close look, might change my fittings over to jamec style, only because that's what I run in the shed at home

Update & resolution. Finally went along to Pirtek and had them fix it, aka complete replacement of everything from the socket on the compressor and put matching socket/plugs onto their 8m coiled hose, plus a compatibble plug onto the gauged inflator.

The ARB fittings are now shelved for I don't know what(Pirtek didn;t have a compatible hose) and the old orange hose is slated for eye catching devicves on guy wires around here.

Soz, can not find the invoice, but I think the hose and bits was under $100 in total. It was the other bits that brought the bill up.

Thanks for the info guys.

Latest posts

Back