ARB snorkel or Nissan Genuine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo4x4

Reaction score
does any know which is better snorkel..ARB or Nissan genuine?? i like nissan cause its not as chunky as arb but arb might have better airflow...

Heard from many GQ owners that the Safari (ARB) is restrictive.

I have a airtec (Nissan) on mine.

Dave.

I like the genuine (airtec) best. Price could be your deciding factor. I had my thrown in by the dealer at purchase.

P.S hopefully not literally thrown in!

I like the nissan factory one on mine, they seem to be kind of low profile compared to thers.
Would hate to see what is behind that black sikaflex though, recon they will have butchered the guard!

Would hate to see what is behind that black sikaflex though, recon they will have butchered the guard!

indeed. i got a bit scared cutting the front bumper for the bullbar but payed off in the end..need a good sharp circular blade...think il do it myself..knowing my luck il prod drill it on the drivers side *&%$%#!!!!

dave, where did you get one for $320 if you don't mind me asking? also does anyone have a pic of a safari snorkel or a Nissan snorkel on a 1997 d22 dx 3.2L(or similar)? Am thinking about getting a snorkel and am trying to decide which looks better on my model nav.

Through my local Nissan dealer about 2 years ago.

Pm Nizzbits and see what he can do. He is going oversea's soon, so do it quick.

Dave.

I paid $420 for my AirFlow snorkle from 4wdsystems in SA, incl postage.

I liked the look of the factory ones but I was quoted about the same prices as for the D40. Install was pretty easy

I bought a genuine over the spare parts counter last month for $390 - Perhaps the prices above were inclusive of fitting?

Airtec/Nissan on mine. I really don't poke my nose under the bonnet to look around too much, and I probably should. Dave and I had a brief look at it but only took a squiz at the filter really.

Dave, I think we ought to take a poke at it again and this time see how the thing is sealed up, I'd hate to think we have this snorkel attached and I go through 300mm of water and the thing starts taking a drink from splashing/overspray.

If it needs attention, there's a chance that any dealer-fitted unit needs attention, so it'll be photos and step-by-step again.

Mine looks to be well fitted, the sealant appears to be in all the right places. The airtec seems to be very robust, mines coped plenty of wacks from tree branches, with only a few scrape marks to show for it.

I checked my dealer fitted Airtec snorkel two weekends ago. It had a 20mm gap around the inner guard/engine bay join. I removed the whole thing and redid it from airbox back. I couldn't believe how poorly it was fitted and sealed.

At the last service I needed the air filter changed, about 20,000 k's early. There was water streaks inside the snorkel parts from the 20mm gap back to the filter, I should have twigged.

All good now after about 2 hours work and a tube of sikaflex.

BTW: I found out by taking the head off the snorkel and holding a thick plastic bag over the tube, it is supposed to stall the engine, mine didn't and I could hear the air being sucked in under the guard.

Just to add, the 20mm gap was because it was not sealed correctly around a flared piece of the inner guard. I had to enlarge the cutout in the snorkel component and seal properly (they had not applied any sealant to the join at all, the bolts were only half done up as well.

I think I just got an unprofessional and useless installer, looking at the components these things are not hard to fit, just shows it pays to check their work.

Oh and I will add that they also didnt seal any exposed metal (thanks Matt, got some cold gal from Supercheap) and I had to brush swarf away from some areas that it had fallen in, was going rusty but it wiped away.

Back