New Key ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R883

Reaction score
Hi

We have just got a navara D40 at work

We only have one key just now and are needing to get a new one cut

Spoke to nissan yesterday and they want £180 for one :shock:

So i have seen one on ebay for £20

Where could i get it cut and coded ?
Any idea on cost ?

Or is Nissan the only place to go ?

Cheers for any help

Similar thing happened to someone I know with Mitsubishi. The best advice they got was to get the blank from anywhere but Mitsu, any key cutter can then cut from the original. Then they took the newly cut key to Mitsu who did just the programming and charged a fraction of the cost of the complete key from Mitsu.

Ebay keys have the transponder in them, well the ones that I've looked at do. It's a complete blank key that just needs cutting then programming to your central locking/NATS system. Going by the Mitsu one once the key is cut the programming requires so little work even the receptionist can do the job on site at the dealership in a matter of minutes.

I had my spare Commodore key cut by Mr Minit (key cutter/shoe repairer/engraver). $99 and he programmed it as well - but that's also what Holden were charging. I think in order to have the little machine that does the encoding, they have to charge an agreed price for the job.

Don't you just stick the new key in the ignition, and run through a sequence of thrpttle on, key off, key on, hold left arm up, spin around 3 times, routine?? Pretty sure thats all you do with x-trail ebay keys.

I've only had experience with the Mitsu ones they claim have to be programmed by the dealer so I'm not sure about the Nissan road to success, however the OP asked the same question on the UK forums and their response was the same, get a blank and take it too Nissan. So if you can do the hokey pokey they don't know about it either.

I'd be concerned if the hokey pokey worked. That would mean any wiseass with the smarts to cut a blank into the right shape (and I've watched a locksmith cut a Commodore key in a couple of minutes by looking in the barrel) would be able to get the electronic safety stuff out of the way as well.

Please, PLEASE don't tell me there's a little dance you can do around the teepee that makes the car accept ANY key.

haha,
my bro use to have a 911 carrera. he locked the keys in the car one time. the raa (road service) told him to pick the cheapest window and smash that one to get in!

My understanding is that the transponder has to be programmed at the manufacturer because they take the VIN and the key number and their system has the appropriate info the transponder needs. The average key cuter wouldn't have access to the manufacturers database to get that info I wouldn't have thought.

Given that using the clay key like Krankin suggests is so easy I doubt there is much of a market for hacking the manufacturers databases just to get key codes. Anyone who's into thieving cars is more likely to go for that option than getting the codes for every car in an area and getting keys cut. But if you want to hokey pokey around a tepee feel free to try it.

xtrail key programming ( now known as the hokey pokey)

ID CODE ENTRY PRODCEDURE
Step 1) Sit in drivers seat, close and lock all doors.
Step 2) Insert key into and remove it from ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds.
(Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).
NOTE:
Withdraw key completely from ignition key cylinder each time.
If procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter registration mode.
Step 3) Insert key into ignition key cylinder and turn to ACC position.
Step 4) Push any button on remote controller once. (Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).
At this time, the oldest ID code is erased and the new ID code is entered.
Step 5) Do you want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes?
A maximum of four ID codes may be entered. If more then four ID codes are entered,
the oldest ID code will be erased.
If you do not want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes, go to Step 9).
Step 6) ADDITIONAL ID CODE ENTRY
Lock all doors with LH (driver side) lock/unlock switch
(in main power window and door lock/unlock switch).
Step 7) Push any button twice on remote controller once, (Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).
Step 8) Do you want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes?
If so, unlock doors then repeat Step 6) and Step 7).
Step 9) When complete, open door, and check operation of remote.

Thanks, Running Bear *cough* I mean Kingcab. Me wantum hunting bow and goodum knife. Stand guard with bow, use knife for scalp. Me no sleep no more.

Must now invest in large feathers and sing songs with construction and police men.

xtrail key programming ( now known as the hokey pokey)

ID CODE ENTRY PRODCEDURE
Step 1) Sit in drivers seat, close and lock all doors.
Step 2) Insert key into and remove it from ignition key cylinder more than six times within 10 seconds.
(Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).
NOTE:
Withdraw key completely from ignition key cylinder each time.
If procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter registration mode.
Step 3) Insert key into ignition key cylinder and turn to ACC position.
Step 4) Push any button on remote controller once. (Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).
Step 5) Do you want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes?
A maximum of four ID codes may be entered. If more then four ID codes are entered,
the oldest ID code will be erased.
If you do not want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes, go to Step 9).
Step 6) ADDITIONAL ID CODE ENTRY
Lock all doors with LH (driver side) lock/unlock switch
(in main power window and door lock/unlock switch).
Step 7) Push any button twice on remote controller once, (Hazard warning lamps will then flash twice).
Step 8) Do you want to enter any additional remote controller ID codes?
If so, unlock doors then repeat Step 6) and Step 7).
Step 9) When complete, open door, and check operation of remote.

When can i put my right foot in and shake it all about?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very interesting, but is the xtrail procedure the same as the D40 procedure? If so, I will print off a copy of this and put it in my owners manual for future reference :) If not, I can ignore completely, as I don't own an xtrail...

That is very interesting, but is the xtrail procedure the same as the D40 procedure? If so, I will print off a copy of this and put it in my owners manual for future reference :) If not, I can ignore completely, as I don't own an xtrail...

I don't know, maybe there is a similar procedure for the Navara???

I think the Nissan engineers had being smoking too much wacky tobaccy in coming up with a procedure like that. Maybe they came to their senses and scrapped it on other models?

Not suggesting the hokey pokey is wrong or wont work but it's obviously not meant for the Australian market as we don't have many "LH (drivers side) lock/unlock switches" in this country. Given the differences between the Nav's and their country of origin this may just be an interchangeable part of the instructions but it could also be something Nissan Australia didn't put in the Aussie cars.

For anyone interested in getting a new key and not wanting to pay Nissan for the whole deal it appears ebay australia has finally go the whole kit needed.

The blanks
NISSAN Blank Remote Key Blade for Navara Altima Maxima - eBay Anti-Theft Devices, Safety, Security, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 08-Jul-10 05:08:09 AEST)

The transponder
Nissan Navara keyless remote - eBay Keyless Entry Remote, Safety, Security, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 07-Jul-10 19:31:34 AEST)

You'll possible still need Nissan to program the key unless the X-trail procedure above works for Nav's but from prices people have quoted this option may be cheaper.

Back