CAT Batteries

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals

Has anyone used cat batteries for either starting or deep cycle? I need a new starter and i have measured the space for the new battery i would like to fill the location. I have been looking at the 127-0826 General Service Line, Calcium battery. 875cca etc etc. Fits perfectly in the starter spot without being to close to the egr tube in regards to heat melting the casing.

Any reviews would be nice

That CAT battery would be ok as a cranker but with only 66Ah I'd be reluctant to use it as a deep cycle. For DC applications, I like the look of the 102-0400 (150Ah). The 250-0483 is an awesome battery at 338Ah but it's a bloody monster at 550mm long and 210mm wide, weighing in at 59Kg. How much room you got? Do you need to crank with it as well?

We're actually fishing for a new AGM for our caravan, I like the 75Ah D31A in the tub (I bought her a new charger yesterday from Jaycar, looks like it's doing everything just sweetly too, more on that elsewhere when I've had a few goes at it). We're looking at the 200-250Ah market, 330mm long or less, 175mm wide or less, posts 240mm high or less and we found one for $249 but I have to ask the smarter one in our family where the bloody hell she found it. Should pick that sucker up next pay, and the caravan will hold that baby.

I'm also (seriously) contemplating a solar panel for the canopy. I'm of a mind to use coach bolts to secure it from nimble fingers but have half a mind to electrify the bars that go across my canopy roof anyway. I'll make sure I include a small sign that says some parts of this vehicle have high voltage components.

Tony it will be for cranky duties only ad the things that need to run of startee ie. Spottie, winch etc. I saw the high cca on it and thought it would be good. Got a friend of a friend that works for hastings deering so waiting to see his discount

Cover the 550-600CCA and you're good for starting capacity. Cover the rest with a reasonable Ah and all is good. I think the one you've chosen is a good one for that sort of duty.

Spotties (not winch) are more covered by your alternator - sooner or later, if you're drawing 60A off the battery and it's only charging at 40A, the battery is going to die. The rating of your alternator (eg D22 = 90A) is valid for high RPM - at mid-range (cruising) you won't get that many amps off it.

Rusty I've been running one for about 6 months , I would hope that even a crappy battery would last that long Mehh Hard to say ?

CAT batteries are quite good. We use them at work on the UPS system (Don't think of it as small). The ones we use are huge, but they last excellently.

I would definitely look at getting one

I have a cat battery in my D22 as a cranker and winch, the rest is on the AGM. It has been there for about 8 months and it swings her over with no probs on a cold morning. fj

Yo fellas i need the product code numbers off the batteries you have. Went into hastings deering today and the battery i enquired about isnt sold in australia only in germany and would take 3 months to arrive.

Thanks
Rusty

Unrelated to cat batteries but after i fitted the safari snorkle with it's Hugh intake tube i fitted a century marine with 820cca been in for for 3 years now has the reinforced plates and a large standby current was the largest i could fit with a few mods after losing the 2nd starter.

Attachments

• IMG_3271.jpg
    IMG_3271.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 85
When I was looking for a CAT battery I could not get one with terminals the right way around.

I suppose if your looking for one with screw terminals, the issue of post location is not likely to be a problem?

Just dug my invoice out I paid $133.39 inc GST for a 710 CCA cat battery part no 8C3601. I have had it for 7 months with no problems.

Thanks farmer. I was looking at the 760cca, 156 5660 or something. The thing I liked best was the 5year warranty. So pretty much they guarantee 5yrs service life or a replacement obviously if it hasn't been abused.

When I was looking for a CAT battery I could not get one with terminals the right way around.

I suppose if your looking for one with screw terminals, the issue of post location is not likely to be a problem?

I agree. I would have purchased a d27 optima if terminals weren't an issue. I have looked at the 34/78 series in the CAT range but I think the terminals are almost central so it semi throws it out.

Latest posts

Back