D22 tail gate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingara bob

Reaction score
hi all ...
first post here...thinking of buying a d22 duel cab(new) was told
that the rear tail gate lets in water and dust...BB

Dont know about water generally, will if submerged.

Dust gets in big time and bloody annoying.

Have sealed the bottom section easily and effectively but having probs sealing the sides.

Would'nt stop me buying another if i had to though.

Water hasn't come in mine, but the dust does get quite annoying. everything in the rear gets a fine coating of dust and i have a canopy with the roof vent open. not much you can do except buy sealed tubs or ute boxes. still, small inconvenience considering how awesome they are. definitely the worst aspect of the truck IMO.

D22 tailgates have unsealed gaps either side at least 10mm . Same as Ranger, BT50, Collorado.
Running a canopy with a vent causes it to pressurise though and you do not get any dust intrusion.
The dust is drawn in by the low pressure created under a torneau or an un-vented canopy.
Watwer gets in when you get beyond 28inches deep.

D22 tailgates have unsealed gaps either side at least 10mm . Same as Ranger, BT50, Collorado.
Running a canopy with a vent causes it to pressurise though and you do not get any dust intrusion.
The dust is drawn in by the low pressure created under a torneau or an un-vented canopy.

Tried this out many times, but the dust still gets in from the tailgate gaps specially down the dry forest tracks or when I'm working on the motorways before bitumin is layed.

Mine's a D40 but it's just like Aido says there is a good 10mm gap on either side which will always let dust in. You could go to the effort of running rubber or like stuff up the walls and the tailgate but in general you will still get dust in. Dust gets into everything under the right conditions, it's hard to make something dust proof.

As far as water goes mine had several manufactured holes in the front of the tub which were a bit of a bugger to find at first. Before I put the canopy on I didn't think about it much but once the canopy was on and I knew it was fairly well sealed the water was still getting in and it pissed me off. The holes were basically due to the manufacturing process not lining up every join, bugger all I could do about it other than bog it up but since finding those holes my tub is fairly water tight in the rain, and when using the pressure cleaner but I know if I ever tried to cross water that was higher than the tailgate hinges water would get in the tub.

I went to a foam and rubber shop and showed him the tail gate, he had a door seal that fitted perfectly over the lip on the sides, made it a bit tight closing the tailgate but well worth it. Along the bottom I used some self adhesive foam that is compressed when the tail gate is shut. I have a canopy as well. Have done a few short trips on gravel and no dust in as yet. I drove to Nhulunbuy the other week and after the amount of dust from 1200km on dirt I had to do something.

Latest posts

Back