UHF antenna?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trb012

Reaction score
Hey guys finally fitted my uhf over the weekend and now its time to choose an antenna. Just wondering what people have used and recomend before I buy one thanks :big_smile:

That all depends on your needs. I use a standard 4 foot whip with nothing special added but if you want longer range UHF then you obviously need something that more resembles a fishing rod mounted to the bull bar. I don't need that sort of communication so a $35 stick is more than adequate for me.

There is apparently a real science (which I fully admit to not understanding) to UHF antennas.

So...I went with what was recommended to me (by a radio comms professional) for bullbar installation - which was basically a gound independent base (spring loaded in the interests of longevity and pedestrian safety) with a metal whip on top. Works like a treat. My particular antenna is an Icom brand. Similar products from companies like GME are very popular in the 4wd community (models like AE4012K1 for example) as being robust, yet fairly discreet - a lot of people aren't into big broomstick antennas...

Yeah I went with the GME AE4018K1 Antenna, got it from Prestige Communications in Perth. Great online store and great prices. It was part of a package.

Mobileone....RF470FWSS.....

Raised feed, ground independent, is a great allround unit that has exceptional
TX/RX range and is only 880mm and works mounted on a bullbar or front guard.

Attachments

• 4wd_hill.jpg
    4wd_hill.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 4wd_hill 1.jpg
    4wd_hill 1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 447
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh,

and you should always have your SWR checked before you finish off you install job.

The raised feed with glass antenna types i find are really great all purpose and get great range at both ends of the scale and recommend them all the time.
On the other hand just got me a GME 4705 for a great price so I will be fitting that when ????? who knows...got to get a job with more time off GRRRRRRR.

The raised feed with glass antenna types i find are really great all purpose and get great range at both ends of the scale and recommend them all the time.
On the other hand just got me a GME 4705 for a great price so I will be fitting that when ????? who knows...got to get a job with more time off GRRRRRRR.

We all seem to be a little time poor lately :/ Haven't really stopped since Christmas!!!
Your antenna looks like the bigger version of mine, I have the AE4703
Im not overly impressed with the distance in hilly country, i am Trying to find a suitable solution that screws onto the base i have

We all seem to be a little time poor lately :/ Haven't really stopped since Christmas!!!
Your antenna looks like the bigger version of mine, I have the AE4703
Im not overly impressed with the distance in hilly country, i am Trying to find a suitable solution that screws onto the base i have

similar ant but different type base.
Get yourself an AE4705 6.6dbi...white or grey colour option, they are 1200mm and then if you want buy just the 4706 8.1dbi (2100mm) without the spring base...its interchangeable

The biggest issue with non raised feed type ants is they dont have their own ground plane...and bullbars are really not great ground plane material...not the worst tho, but the ant really has to be higher than the roofline to radiate 360deg.
centre of the roof (fixed to the vehicle roof sheetmetal) is the ultimate ground plane position, tho most times not practicable so a compromise to a bullbar fixing is made but to less than best rx/tx results.

Hi guys, I work for an Australian antenna company so I guess I'll give you my 10 cents worth.

As somebody previously said, ground independant is very important unless you are mounting an antenna in the middle of the roof. Mounting a 'non' ground independant antenna on your fender or bull bull will create a poor radiation pattern, not omni directional and hence you will experience poor reception.

- Elevated Feed antennas (long tube normal supplied with spring and either metal whip or fibreglass whip) are most popular. Good alround performance and are ground independant

- Fibreglass 'broomsticks' are also very popular. While generally similar gain to elevated feed antennas, but their extra height can help to produce a better radiation pattern. Some 4x4 drivers feel these look better.

If I can recommend 4 antennas to check out from my company, they would be:
- RFI CD63 Series
- RFI CD900 Series
- RFI CD5000 Series
- RFI CDQ5000 Series

http://www.rfi.com.au/consumer/index.html

Check out my Navara in the video.

All our UHF CB antennas are manufactured in Australia at our Melbounre factory and are the best antennas available...............but I am biased!

If you have any specific questions I can answer, happy to do so.

Hi guys, I work for an Australian antenna company so I guess I'll give you my 10 cents worth.

All our UHF CB antennas are manufactured in Australia at our Melbounre factory and are the best antennas available...............but I am biased!

Naaaa, who'd a thought that

If I can recommend 4 antennas to check out from my company, they would be:
- RFI CD63 Series
- RFI CD900 Series
- RFI CD5000 Series
- RFI CDQ5000 Series

http://www.rfi.com.au/consumer/index.html

Check out my Navara in the video.

If you have any specific questions I can answer, happy to do so.

they look the good mate, I noticed up around the 5000 series the thread where you attach the two ( antenna and base) is different, Im going to guess if i was you purchase one of these id soon be rerouting my coaxial cable??? or will they screw into my GME Base?

Hi Mike,

If I have understood your question correctly, the RFI antenna you mentioned was the CDQ5000, not the CD5000. The CDQ5000 is our removable whip (5 dBi) antenna while the CD5000 is a fitted stud mount antenna. The thread between the spring assemble & whip will be unique to RFI (i.e. the RFI whip in this instance will not fit the GME equivalent antenna)…..sorry!

I run our CDQ8000 (8 dBi gain – 2080mm long) but have changed to the CDQ5000 whip (5 dBi – 990mm long).

I would especially recommend our CD63 antenna (6 dBi & around 800mm long). This antenna is extremely robust and is a great performer. The CD63 is available as a stud mount or removable whip.

Sorry I can prattle on forever. A copy of our UHF CB antenna brochure can be found at http://www.rfi.com.au/consumer/documents/UHF CB Antennas.pdf

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back