04 navara under powered

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gun32gtr

Reaction score
hi ive just bought a 04 navara 3l turbo and it seems very under powered compared to my brothers. they are exact same models etc and mine has less kms etc. the turbo does make this very high pitched scream. iove checked for broken or leaking hoses and they sem fine. the turbo spins freely and shaft play from the front is nearly nothing. now does anyone know if these things spit rear wheels etc cause this thing feels like it dosnt have a turbo????

also if the turbo is shot whats a good upgrade from the stock item???

ive serviced the fuel system and air filter etc so nothing there????

cheers kane

very hard to diagnose things over the net and noise are the worse ones of all.

could be tubo on its way out or simply exhaust or inlet leak somewhere. check the inlet hose especially, high boost and oil from the breather makes it real easy for a hose to come off.

the other common squels are from the fan belt and idler bearing.

this is def turbo related. i checked all hoses. looks like turbo is coming off.... upgrade turbo,does anyone have any advice there or should i just get one from nissan again if it comes 2 that

yeah mate that would be the go, a cheapie will do the job. Just T piece it off the boost sensor on the crossover pipe and it should read around 15-16 psi

I second the boost pressure measurement as the first goal. I'd also check things like lubrication lines to the turbo and make sure that oil's getting in to the bearings. It's possible that someone was driving it on full boost and just cut the engine, leaving the turbo bearings to boil the oil away and leave varnish inside. It'll spin nice with the fingers, but getting full rpm out of the turbine would be difficult.

Does it have the stock exhaust system still? I am winding myself up to change mine over to a deecent aftermarket job. One of the things I tried was removing the main muffler and the typical whistle sounds the D22 ZD30 makes then sounded like a demented piccolo. Turns out that noise is made by the little resonator near the transfer case as I removed the front pipe section as well and the piccolo noises dissapeared. If the main muffler has been removed the whistling noises are pretty loud.

Where are you ? If your close to someone else someone may let you try there map sensor.

Checked the map sensor ?

Dave.

ill get a boost gauge tomoz and try that. i would expect if the turbo was shagged it would give some other signs etc. im in bathurst nsw if anyone can help?????im getting a mate thats a mechanic to hAVE A look over it this weekend. gotta get it sorted its annoying and also rather bad on fuel compared to my brothers

yeh if only it ewas that easy. going to get injecters looked at this coming week because its rather dear to run... 440km outta 65l

yeh if only it ewas that easy. going to get injecters looked at this coming week because its rather dear to run... 440km outta 65l

geez that does sound like the injectors or shall i dare say, the injector pump with economy like that. for your sake i hope it in the injectors and not the pump. good luck mate

Injectors from nissan are about $400 each, but you can get them from any diesel service place for about $250 each, both are identical Zexel (Bosch) brand. A pump rebuild can cost anywhere up to $2500, mine was about $2200. The parts aren't that expensive, but like everything these days, labour is the big killer. It depends on what needs to be done as to how much it will cost. A new pump from Nissan is about $4000.

fuc.k me nothing is cheap for these things. i should have just got me gq patrol ute registed again. anyone know where i can dodgy blue slip :D

i did my pump also when i first bought my nav. i payed $4000 for labour and the pump wasn't happy but it had to be done. i hope its not the same as mine.

gun32gtr, did you cut a muffler out of the exhaust? or has the exhaust been changed.
cause my mate got one muffler cut out of the exhaust and it start making this high pitch screeching noice when coming into boost.
it went to nissan and they said it was some kind of nice cause of the exhaust. so he got the other muffle cut out and no problem since.

went to mechanic today and he found couple exhaust leaks. one coming from the top of the centre box and one from near turbo(manifold or something around there... but im sure this wouldnt cause it to go so bad.

the little butterfly type thing near the cross over pipe,when u move it it makes the ute wanna stall. shnould that happen?????

Latest posts

Back