Torneau fills with water?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_cat

Reaction score
Tonneau fills with water?

Recently got a new D22 with Tonneau cover fitted.

Its been raining fairly heavily here but I found the water doesnt roll off but pools to the point of almost snapping off the little tie down cords.

It has the rail fitted underneath which I thought would make the water run off but its not working.

Came out the other morning and the thing was like a swimming pool.

Any recommendations on this? Is it normal or should I get the fitting checked?

Last edited:

Its been raining fairly heavily here but I found the water doesnt roll off but pools to the point of almost snapping off the little tie down cords.

It has the rail fitted underneath which I thought would make the water run off but its not working.

I get a couple of small pools near the tailgate, even from new (disapointed with that), but yours sounds excessive.
Maybe the strap holding buttons are'nt fitted low enough on yours.

Use 2 bars. Mine did the same so I installed a second bar. Get the overall length of the tray, divide that by 3, then put a bar at 1/3 and 2/3. Nice and even, looks good and stops the water problem.

Might have to try that Azza, mine does it too.

I think the accessories jockies just fit them where they like, I'm sure I haven't seen two Navs with the same clip locations.

Use 2 bars. Mine did the same so I installed a second bar. Get the overall length of the tray, divide that by 3, then put a bar at 1/3 and 2/3. Nice and even, looks good and stops the water problem.

Where did you get the additional bars from Azza?

Maybe also remove the clips and put a packer behind them, even a couple of millimetres each side should put more curve in the bar when it goes back in. I haven't tried it, its just a thought.

We used to have the same problem with a '77 F100 and like Azza we used multiple bars. We manufactured the mounts and the bars and used two permanently but also had room for a third if heavy rain was expected. There was several storms where we also placed wood the length of the tray to raise the cover up slightly more along it's entire length but that was only a short term no driving solution. We were going to use mounts from and back but in the end decided the tailgate mount would only get in the way of other jobs.

Where did you get the additional bars from Azza?

I got the bar from a local steel supplier. Got all the gear at work to make the bar. I brought the bar about 100mm longer than the width of the tray. Measure the internal length of the tray, divide by 3 then pop rivit 2 sets of new rod holders on place at 1/3 and 2/3, I kept the old ones the centre.

Measure 30mm and and mark it. Place the rod in a metal workers vice/engineers vice with the 30mm hanging out the end. Bash it with a mini sledge till you get a 90' bend. Put a slight bend in the bar then install the bar with the end you just made, then with the unbent end mark where it meets the new bar holder, repeat the process then cut off any excess rod with a grinder.

Easy peasy

I have the same problem and have found that the water is getting in at the front of tub in the corners.

I got a new tauno and fitted a new C channel as i also found that it was getting in between the C channel and tubliner.

I fixed the problem but have not yet done anything about the corners. I thought about just pasting some silicone and be done with it. I don't really think you will ever stop it completely.

I'll have a look on the weekend and see what I can come up with.

Might be OK during light rain but with the recent rain we have had in QLD it cant drain quick enough.

Latest posts

Back