rear spotlight/reversing light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Reaction score
Hey all,
just wondering if anyone has installed reversing spotties on the back of their nav, and what brand they went with, where did you mount them, wiring and anything else that will help me. Haven't chosen any lights yet, think i'm a bit picky. Cheers in advance

If you do it, I'd recommend floods and not spots (patterns in the glass lens to spread the light around, not the clear glass lens that allows a single spot of light).

The law will require that these only come on in reverse gear.

Electrically, the wiring for the reversing lights is nowhere near good enough to carry the kind of power your new lights will use. I'd recommend the following:

Battery -> 30A thermal breaker -> 6mm auto cable to rear -> relay activated by reverse lights -> new lights.

if you can afford it get an led one, that way you can wire up off reverse & tail light circuits at rear lights. relay power from tail lights, relay switch from reverse light.
you could possibly get away with wiring up halogen with low wattage bulb in this manner but the load would be a little risky due to the insufficient wire size nissan used to rear lights.
check out ebay for led work / reverse lights, theres heaps on there.
theyd be pretty cool mounted to the underside of your sports bar but running wiring inside it could be a little trick and would look crap cable tied to outside. if youve got any spare holes on towbar mounts you could use them but you are not supposed to drill or weld towbar.
be sure to post pics once done too.

I was going to fit one, but the reverse camera I bought has IR, It is unbelievable how well it works in the dark, basically looks like daylight on the screen, so there was no need for the lights.

Worth considering....

Yeah unfortunately the internal screen does the same thing inside the cabin. Nothing like the glow of the screen in a completely dark cabin, mine is like having someone come towards you with high beam on but then I don't use my camera and the reflected light whilst trying to use the mirrors is annoying and has made me consider on more than one occasion to rip the camera out.

ah crap power went out just as I was hitting send caused double post as FF restarted, so I edited this one. Now if only the UPS worked properly.

As a note to using spotties as a reversing light, given that you aren't trying to see 100 meters then there really is nothing wrong with a good spread from a 25 watt globe and although some might argue 25 watt is too much for the reversing wire that runs down the system I've run Kmart spotties with 25 watt globes as reversing lights on cars like late 70's Corollas and early 80's Mazdas and never had a problem with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers for the replies... still looking for a set of lights was thinking mounting brackets around the sports bar and having two lights off the sports bar... can anyone show me a wiring diagram of how i would wire these up to come on with reverse as well as by switch?

I'd have to sit down and think about it but it's dinner time and we are expecting another onslaught of hail and thunderstorms soon so if no ones replied by tomorrow sometime I'll come up with something.

Hello i stole the power from rear foglight never use that anyway and the rear goglifght are wired over relay so you can have 2x55w without problem and you have a switch ready.

2hybbsw.jpg

2dr813l.jpg

b3naqt.jpg

Later i will put one light on the bumper back and steal power directly from original reverselight.
Hope you understand

I think ADR (Australian Design Rules) contain something about white lights on the rear of the vehicle - and that you can't use them with a switch, ONLY while reversing the vehicle. I just went looking for it and have drawn a blank, but I'm fairly certain that it's one thing the cops will definitely have on their agenda.

G'day Jacko, work lamps don't have to be wired into the reverse lamp circuit.. Straight off the battery, fuse (as close to the battery as possible), switch, light(s) and earth to the car..........lights on when you need them.
I have one 55w light mounted under the rear of my tray in the manner, only down side is I need to change the switch to a led one so I don't forget to turn it off!

Cheers Brad

Last edited:
I ran all the wiring and a relay and stuck 2x 50w "driving lights" from SCA on the underside of the bumper. They were small and discreet and threw out a decent amount of light - just need to work on the mounting position though. I smashed em within 2 weeks of fitting them. 2 words - Departure Angle. :smile:

Thems the serious kind of words Aido :big_smile:

I really like BSmokes setup! Though looking at how cold it is heaters would seem more appropiate :idea:

Brad

There is something about not using white lights on the rear of vehicles while traveling in Victoria but realistically the chances of ever being caught have to be extremely slim. If you're not silly enough to turn them on while driving then the secondary switch is never likely to come into question and any copper would only see them as an aid to the existing reversing lights like so many other vehicles have.

We used to use 4 inch round 60 watt lights on the rear of the rigid trucks, sure they weren't connected to a switch but they were as big as many cars would use for driving lights and no copper every questioned them. For me I wouldn't be putting a separate switch in for any light as low as the reversing lights and instead concentrate on making a better lighting system that lights up from above but that's just the way I'd do it.

Thems the serious kind of words Aido :big_smile:

I really like BSmokes setup! Though looking at how cold it is heaters would seem more appropiate :idea:

Brad

Yes so sick of this winter now

On my old d22 i had this setup the wiring was direct to original reverslight cable 2x55w

22170-186285.jpg

Last edited:
Old Tony is correct, rear lights can only come on when in reverse, not a seperate switch and your only allowed a max of 2, if you want to run a spot your suppose to disconnect one of the reverse lights.
It's very annoying following someone who's forgotten to turn of their rear facing lights!

I don't go off road that often but lights mounted there wouldn't last a week on my ute. There is a lack of other places to mount them on a Nav if you don't have ladder racks or a canopy though.

I don't go off road that often but lights mounted there wouldn't last a week on my ute. There is a lack of other places to mount them on a Nav if you don't have ladder racks or a canopy though.

thats right they didnt hold for long, thats why they are mounted high up on my new d22 :big_smile:

High is the way to go, they can be used for more than just lighting your driveway when reversing if they are up high. It's a matter of what there is to mount them too

Latest posts

Back