Quick question on BULL BAR ???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEE8SS

Reaction score
Hi I am chasing a alloy bullbar for my D22 and have noticed while trolling ebay and the forums that the D22 and GU patrol ones look identicle?????

I have also found that some people advertise them as patrol/NAvara Bullbar's in add's

Can anyone here tell me if they are thre same or if they fit with different bracket/s thanks

Michael

Go for steel.
Alloy is for show ponies.
Genuine steel bars have winch mount and will withstand much more abuse than the alloy. Much easier to keep clean too with the powdercoating as opposed to having to polish the alloy.
Didn't answer your question but I do place alloy bars in the "Why bother?" category.
If your looking for something to cope with little bumps, grinds and touch parking then save your dollars and just get a nudge bar.

Pfff hardly for show ponies. Alloy suits my needs at the moment because it improves the departure angle of the standard bumper by about a gazillion percent (ok maybe exaggerated) and I don't get the weight of a steel bullbar, also not interested in a winch just yet. Oh and did I mention I got it cheap second hand :p

Not sure about the Patrol/Navara compatability, I also have noticed how similar they are. I remember reading somewhere the Patrol one is wider?? Not sure. I think they are supplied by TJM, maybe give them a call?

hey mate...not sure about the patrol/nav compatibility but if ur thinking of serious offroading go the steel...but for general hw/4wd then alloy be the go (heaps lighter)..i went the steely

Go for steel.
Alloy is for show ponies.

A mate of mine has a very modified GQ, 37 inch muddies, twin lockers, big lift and still runs an alloy bar. Seems to have done the job so far ;)

I bought steel to make up for my lack of driving ability lol.

95kph, 9 tonne of truck and 7 cows head on and a steel bullbar folds just as well as an alloy bar. Of course steel will provide more protection from some things but it's not going to stop everything.

I'm not sure of their compatibility either but I would be careful when reading such things, I've been noticing quite a number of things on ebay being advertised as Nav/Patrol lately. The latest was a Nav/Patrol spare wheel that was labeled as a factory standard rim suitable for both vehicles but at a size of 17 inch. Sure it will fit on a Nav but it will look a tad silly if you want to use it as a spare against the other 4 factory wheels.

yeah I have my eye on a 2008 alloy one at the moment.... I don't want a steel one I like the look of the alloy one... As i work with aluminium on a daily basis I have the ability to strengthen in a heap If i want to and same as JASON I am after a better angle and clearence on the front.... thanks for your help and opinions but if anyone else knows whether they will fit feel free to post up what u know

Yeah I saw that one it is also on ebay aswell love the look I actually saw it in person when he was up my way was funny actually i saw the navara at a local shopping centre and thought gee that looks so much better setup than mine and then what do you know he is actually from down south and it pops up on ebay and on here for sale

dont let my location put you off buying it lol i need an excuse to head north for a week again! my grandparents live at banora point so let me know ;)

Yeah I saw that one it is also on ebay aswell love the look I actually saw it in person when he was up my way was funny actually i saw the navara at a local shopping centre and thought gee that looks so much better setup than mine and then what do you know he is actually from down south and it pops up on ebay and on here for sale

hehe its a sign mate.

95kph, 9 tonne of truck and 7 cows head on and a steel bullbar folds just as well as an alloy bar.

What the!!! Um... i guess we're not talking Navara's anymore. seriously though, the risk of hitting the odd Kangaroo whilst traveling OZ, although not guaranteed, is definately something to consider. Alloy bars are just not up to the job of deflecting a large roo and remaining useable. a steel bar on the other hand has the strength to cope with quite a bit more being hurled into it. and thats aside from the winch options, high lift jacking and recovery points.

9 tonne pretty much takes out the idea of it being a Nav. My point was simply that it doesn't really matter whether you get steel or alloy there is always something out there that can bend either. Sure steel is stronger but if you put 100% faith in a steel bar and hope it will stop everything I can tell you you are mistaken because they don't stop cows at 95kph.

For country travelers roos aren't just an odd chance, I see multiple roos every day on the roads around here before 7am and then after 8pm. I've hit roos (as well as many other forms of wildlife) and I can bend just about any bar you put on a vehicle no matter what it's made of. The fact that the OP was asking about an alloy bar and got replies that he should/must get a steel bar because they stop more isn't entirely true and I just figured I'd make a point of that.

back on topic, patrol chassis rails are 200~ (maybe 400, but that sounds too much) wider then nav rails. So no it wont fit without mods.

Gu body is also wider then nav body by about the same...have measured it but its been a while.

back on topic, patrol chassis rails are 200~ (maybe 400, but that sounds too much) wider then nav rails. So no it wont fit without mods.

so will they fit to the front end, as in marry up with the underside of the front grill ? if so does one only have to make custom brackets to make it fit to the chassis

at a minimum youd have to make custom brackets or move the ones that are there and make the bar narrower or itll stick outside the flares of the nav. If your doing that much to it then id say you can make it fit the underside of the front grill but i dont see the point.

Yeah good point mate... I have the skills and welder to do ally stuff with ease but it defeats the purpose when it will end up looking messier and not ADR approved if not engineered inway int eh case of an accident thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back