winch bar?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit225

Reaction score
i wanna put a winch no my 96 d21. i went to arb and the dude was like have u got a winch bar and i said i dont think so so he told me it will be 1100 bucks. so wat is a winch bar is my question and does it go under hold the winch under the bull bar or does the winch just bolt onto my bull bar?? any help would be appreciated

winch bar is just ya bull bar that u can fit a which onto ...u cant miss it...if u cant notice it on ur bar then most likley u dont have one. look for a flat spot with several holes..to give u an idea..is there a rectangle looking thing at the front?

btw wot pound are u looking at?

see my garage (i havnet installed one yet..but u can see where it should go) u can also get top mount ones.
http://www.navara.asia/dto_garage.php

Last edited:
He may have meant a winch cradle. They can sit on the chassis independant of the bullbar and the winch sits inside them.

well my bullbar does have the holes in the front but it is an alloy bull bar so i donno if i could bolt it straight onto that probly lookin for maybe one of them 12000 lb ironman winches they look alright ?

Last edited:
12000lb...jesus! hanvt heard much of the ironman winches. try and get the plasma rope instead of cable

It depends if the bar is factory fitted. If so, it's a TJM bar and Nissan didn't provide an alloy winch bar option from factory.

A winch cradle will allow you to fit a winch, you'll also need to have a metal support that slots in the back of the alloy bullbar for the fairlead to bolt onto (the alloy is then "sandwiched" between the support and the fairlead) because the alloy bar is not designed for the lateral loads generated by people who insist on winching at a 90 degree angle to the direction of the vehicle.

Unless you're keen on a competition winch bar (Cheezy racing, etc), or a custom/DIY jobbie, I'd buy a steel winch bar from ARB before they stop selling them. Quick! Go now!

Food for thought: Toyota's present day factory fitted combination of an alloy bullbar, winch cradle and fairlead support weighs more than the steel winch bar.

well my bullbar does have the holes in the front but it is an alloy bull bar so i donno if i could bolt it straight onto that probly lookin for maybe one of them 12000 lb ironman winches they look alright ?

Might be best to post a photo of your bullbar and we can tell you if it's winch compatible.

slightly off toipic...who here has a winch with plasma rope? is it good or over rated?

I don't know that anybody on here does... Joshy may have some waiting to go on his truck.

It depends on your purpose, both cable and rope have advantages. Cable isn't damaged by the sun, isn't damaged by rocks, isn't damaged by heat, you don't have to wash it and it's cheap. Rope is light, won't prick your hands and is safer when it fails.

For mine they're about the same difficulty to repair in the field, but you usually can't spool cable past the break like you can with rope.

Certainly not a factory fitted bar. Judging by the design, it looks like it might be an ECB bar, which isn't marketed as being winch ready. Yes there's a hole there, but that's not always proof. Ask ARB if they are quoting you for a winch cradle or for a winch bar. Unless a previous owner has prepped it for a winch, I'd say you're looking at buying something to mount it to.

na they are definetly quoting me for a winch bar. but couldnt i just get the bullbar strengthened i know a few boilermakers ?

na they are definetly quoting me for a winch bar. but couldnt i just get the bullbar strengthened i know a few boilermakers ?

You're not looking to get the bar strengthened, you want an entirely separate sub frame that goes behind the bullbar, between the chassis rails. I'm hoping if there's a cable cutout, there should be enough space for a winch. Your subframe also needs to support the fairlead, so it should also have a flange that you can bolt the fairlead to, THROUGH the alloy bull bar.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread, by all means, go custom! Put thought into it though. Bolts are strongest when they're loaded with a shear force, they're not so good with axial forces.

It's a custom fab job so get your boilermaker mates to do it, or if you're after shops, it depends. Where are you located?

Dunno then, some of the Brisbane guys will be able to point you in the right direction, try Buds Customs, Monster Rides, Custom 4x4 Fabrications (brooksy on outers), Mex's Garage?

Back