TD23 gearbox problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmeataxe

Reaction score
Hi there everyone Ive got a 1990 Nissan Datsun diesel ute (2wd Navara?? well it looks lots like one) it has a TD23 and 5 speed column change gearbox the box has decided to self destruct and I was wondering if there are any choices of box to replace it with? Any help would be much appreciated Cheers MIKE

Are you in Australia? Sounds like a weird import model. I don't think we got the TD23, Europe and Japan did though.

Looking to keep the column shift or go to a floor shift?

There are column shift diesels around but it'd be better if you could go with a floor shift and bolt the column shift linkage on, it would make no manufacturing sense for it to be different though it could be.

In floor shift, you've got the TD25 gearbox to choose from, or if you keep your bellhousing and just change the gear box you can use a four cylinder petrol box, the same five speed was present in the four cylinder petrol and all the TD motors. A 4x4 box won't be much good to you as the transfer case is married and you don't want that flange.

Also consider the Urvan, it's column shift and the diesels and Z24 petrols had the same gearbox.

Im in NZ and ute was Jap import as for column/floor change it wouldnt worry me just as long as I can get it back on the road. Tag on firewall has model as PGD21L if that helps, Cheers

Number on tag is RS5W71CHF43

RS5W71C as suspected. I now know R=column shift, F=floor shift.

I don't have anything column shift, so maybe you should drop your column shift box out of the truck, take a photo of the linkage, and take that along to the wreckers to determine if you're going to be able to keep the column shift, because I suspect you'll struggle to find a column shift. I know over here four speed column shifts are around, not sure about NZ, but I've never heard of a five speed column shift.

The HF43 on the end is your axle code, disregard that (FYI, you have a H190 rear diff in 4.3 ratio... another part we don't get here).

With that TD23 your unladen fuel economy must be amazing. While you're at it, if your TD23 feels a bit sluggish you can do a bolt-in swap with a TD27 (2.7L), or if you're even keener, a TD27T (turbo) is practically bolt-in. I wouldn't put that much torque through that little diff though.

Best of luck.

If you just want to replace the internals, there were a stack of other Nissans that also used the same gear box, including things like the Pintara and 300ZX. Would be more mucking around, but would let you keep the column shift.

Course, might just be easier to get the box reco'd. Got a quote for that?

had a few quotes between 800 & 1200 but didnt want to spend that much ute not worth much more than that

Are you in Australia? Sounds like a weird import model. I don't think we got the TD23, Europe and Japan did though.

Looking to keep the column shift or go to a floor shift?

There are column shift diesels around but it'd be better if you could go with a floor shift and bolt the column shift linkage on, it would make no manufacturing sense for it to be different though it could be.

In floor shift, you've got the TD25 gearbox to choose from, or if you keep your bellhousing and just change the gear box you can use a four cylinder petrol box, the same five speed was present in the four cylinder petrol and all the TD motors. A 4x4 box won't be much good to you as the transfer case is married and you don't want that flange.

Also consider the Urvan, it's column shift and the diesels and Z24 petrols had the same gearbox.
Hi once again Im having problems getting a box the same , you mentioned using a petrol 4 cylinder box what should I look for Skyline? Pulsar? Bluebird? been looking on trade me and theres that many different types its starting to get really confusing. Cheers once again Mike

had a few quotes between 800 & 1200 but didnt want to spend that much ute not worth much more than that

That's cheap-as.

Im having problems getting a box the same , you mentioned using a petrol 4 cylinder box what should I look for Skyline? Pulsar? Bluebird? been looking on trade me and theres that many different types its starting to get really confusing.

Easiest to use would be a four cylinder petrol five speed floor shift from a 4x2 Navara. Unbolt the bellhousing from the gear box and bolt it to your bellhousing. The internals in Pintaras are the same but there's a little bit of messing about involved.

Fifth gear bearing problems are common as hens teeth in these boxes, 200,000km+ gearboxes almost always have this problem. Perhaps the best solution is to find a box in better condition than yours, put that in the Navara, and get a bearing kit for your original box, fit it yourself, and run a synthetic oil through it. Store it in preparation for your replacement box dying a similar death.

I have a Nissan Cabstar/Atlas with a TD23 engine and only 75 hp.

But i need more power.

Can i find a Turbo kit or which engine will fit without problems ?

Thanks
dodo

Yes, i did but will the 2.7 Turbo Diesel damage the clutch or is it the same ?

Do you mean is the TD23 clutch the same as the TD27? not sure. I would guess so. TD27 and TD23 should be identical other than capacity.

Latest posts

Back