Car Computer Causes Roll Over?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
Please watch the video and make note of what it says on the intro slide...

YouTube - defender rollover

so then...

is it actually possible for the computer to effect the brake system in such a way?

is this a sign that all new modern cars are becoming unreliable and dangerous? i mean come on, if the computer glitches and causes the brakes to totally fail, thats pretty bad. its a bit like the throttle on the toyota prius's getting stuck (pretty sure its a TPS and not a wire cable controlling it all, the same sort of TPS in our newer navaras...)

dads had the brake booster in his cruiser ute fail, but he was still able to use the brakes yet all he had to do it press much harder on the brakes?

i also didn't know that the brake system is now computer intergrated? i know there is ABS, but surely if that fails you can still use the brakes?

yep pretty muich heading towards the computer scene...has its ups n downs.. pitty the downs could cause death

Looks like something out of Cloverfield. :big_smile:

Driver error. The brakes don't depend on the booster, they're just assisted by it.

makes me wonder how they got the conclusion of the brakes issue?

basic reaction would be to slam the brakes on (yes i know you're not supposed to slam the brakes on loose gravel as lockup will cause you to slide possibly), but there seems to be no signs of braking? also i know some people hit the accelerator instead of the brake, but there didnt seem to be any revving as he went downhill in the video.

I guess you can only take it on face value, like all the cruise control problems popping up here and there. I'm still finding it hard to believe that he lost engine compression as well as brakes because of the computer. He quite clearly stalled it before things went sour........

Brad

Last edited:
has to be driver error, seriously what a dumb shit. there is a number of thing s you could of done to prevent that roll over. 1 stomp the brakes. 2 pull the hand brake. 3 put it in gear. 4 dont turn so sharply, especially in reverse when going so fast and 5 could of backed it straight into a tree

total BS. no brake lights, driver never even hit the brakes. lights are not computer controlled.

Driver error for sure. I am sure they still run a a piston and master cylinder. Defender's dont get the electronic stuff like the Discovery's etc. If the computer failed, the brakes would still work. After all its still a hydraulic brake system.

Dave.

This is just like all the US deaths driving Toyotas where the accelerator sticks at full noise. Yes it's a fault in the car but you have to have got your licence in a wheaties box to kill people as a result. A) what are you doing giving it full noise to start with when there are people, cars, things to run into, B) slip your slush box into neutral and let the engine self destruct rather than plough bystanders, or, C) turn the bloody car off.

UNNH IT WAS THE CAR'S FAULT.

No, it's your fault, you're a crap driver and now you've screwed up royally.

This is just like all the US deaths driving Toyotas where the accelerator sticks at full noise. Yes it's a fault in the car but you have to have got your licence in a wheaties box to kill people as a result. A) what are you doing giving it full noise to start with when there are people, cars, things to run into, B) slip your slush box into neutral and let the engine self destruct rather than plough bystanders, or, C) turn the bloody car off.

UNNH IT WAS THE CAR'S FAULT.

No, it's your fault, you're a crap driver and now you've screwed up royally.

exactly.
a topic of discussion at work recently, it must be rigged for publicity surly. someone mentioned possibly done deliberately to make USA buyers buy USA made vehicles and prop their failing industry up.

the ONLY case i've heard that sounded genuine was the one where a person parking a car and it went full throttle and went through the barrier and down a cliff. especially with an auto you wouldn't get time to get it out of gear.

the other thing is, some of these people have had time to call the police and talk to them. if a car has gone full throttle you would have hit 200km/h in a very short time and most likly crashed well before you could dial a phone. if you have time to call the cops and talk to them you have time to turn the engine off or take it out of gear.

btw i do recall a case of this many years ago (on a doco). mechanical throttle stuck on and there was an auto gearbox fault. however police had no idea why the person was unable to turn the ignition off.

I saw that Defender clip a couple of years ago. The discussion on youtube way back then says that the folks who posted it up have no idea whatsoever. As has been posted up in this thread, until the ECU electronically controls valve actuation (As in computer fails, valves stop working) then no ECU can cause the car to loose compression and to be sold in Australia there are pretty rigid rules about brakes, some of which relate to how they work when vacuum is lost and how many applications have to be available before boost disappears. I never looked closely enough but now that it is pointed out, lack of brake lights is a bit of a giveaway.

My call then and now is that the driver stalled it, threw the clutch and panicked his way down the hill uncontrolled all the way to a rollover.

If you're game enough to roll your car over, try this exercise:

Accelerate to a decent speed (say 60-80km/h), pull up the handbrake and turn the wheel to the right. As the car turns to approximately 70-110degrees from the direction of travel, release the handbrake.

You should land nicely on your roof.

Accelerate to a decent speed (say 60-80km/h), pull up the handbrake and turn the wheel to the right. As the car turns to approximately 70-110degrees from the direction of travel, release the handbrake.

lol let us know how u go with that theory mate ;-) better yet video tape that

Talking from experience there? :crazy_pilot:

That would be highly effective, where did you pick that up from?

lol let us know how u go with that theory mate ;-) better yet video tape that

I did it with my 1962 Volkswagen beetle, actually stopped just before it went over (so we had a nice lift and it fell back on its wheels).

It was the most exciting thing that old bucket of sht could do.

Oh that's a lie. It could get 80km/h if we wound up the windows.

Errr I flipped my 1962 Beetle as well :/ Maybe they should have recalled them because of that nagging fault?

(Mine flipped doing and handbraky on wet grass, the grass peeled up next to the wheel and flipped it, wasn't going that fast. I scared myself shitless nice and young so I've been a reasonably safe driver since, it was on private property. It cost me $32 to replace the dinged panels, came in the same off-white colour as the car as well!)

Latest posts

Back