offroad insurance cover?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo4x4

Reaction score
Hey my insurance (aami) will only cover me if the roads i go on are listed on GPS. so if i roll elsewhere stiff sh**. or try and get it towed to a road thats on the map.. does any1 else have insurance thats covered everywhere offroad and not just GPS listed roads? if so what insurance is that?

Cheers

What GPS does it have to be listed on?

OziExplorer has just about all tracks if you have the right map, also a Garmin loaded with Tracks4Aus has most as well. Tracks4Australia

Nismo

A topic I am across as my insurance fell due a couple of weeks ago. In most cases insurance companies use the term "surveyed road". If you are not on a surveyed road then you are not covered.

However some companies will insure "even if you are cutting your own track through bush" to quote my new insurer.

Allianz will insure you - but not if you have modified your exhaust in any way shape or form, as I found out after 25 mins on the phone. All other legal mods are fine.

Somewhat strangely, Allianz will insure you with your modified exhaust if you use one of the follow two brokers - DGA or TCIS. $400 difference in premium quote betwee them.

In the end I went through my own insurance broker and are now insured with CGU who have no problems with me being off road nor the accessories and mods to the vehicle. Their quote was competitive too.

Hey Nismo4X4,

I am insured with SGIO (WA) and they are happy to cover me anywhere I go with the exception of 4X4 competitions.

They were totally awesome when I smashed the hell out of my old '04 STR.
hitting a cow at high speed in the middle of the night on the way out of Carnarvon. Took them 20 minutes to organise a tow, a motel, taxi and they were happy to pay my airfare home as well as pay for the rebuild of the ute (which was sensational) and it didn't effect my no claim bonus.

Can't speak highly enough of SGIO. I now have most of my policies with them (2 x Car, House, Boat, Caravan etc) Credit where credit is due. Try them on 133233

Cheers,

DJ

I agree with Jason's question. What GPS does the road have to be on. My gps may not know every road or track but once I've been on a track and given the GPS a track to follow it remembers that track and can get me to and from there. Therefore I can be on a track known to GPS as soon as I get turn it on, doesn't mean the insurers GPS knows about it.

With the amount of reports around from GPS owners who have found roads missing on their GPS it would be a bugger to find out one day your insurer isn't going to pay out when your car's be knocked off because their GPS software has a glitch in it and it doesn't recognise the road you say you live on.

My insurer treats dirt roads and tracks just like they do running around the paddocks, there is no GPS listed roads running from the top paddock to the creek but if I'm silly enough to drive the car into the creek it's still insured.

I am covered through work's insurance and they confirmed I am covered off-road. Can't remember the company but it some international insurance company I hav enever heard off before but the provide all the insurance at work.

hey thanks heaps for the replies...sounds like my insurance is pretty crap...then again i dont have a GPS and didnt know u could make ur own tracks and didnt forward that enquiry to them...will check again tomorow.

SGIO sounds pretty good..bit worried of the premium tho. i currently pay $370 (aami)

Latest posts

Back