Tacho on Z24?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattis

Reaction score
My D21 didnt come with a tacho unfortunately - was wondering if anyone has fitted one to their's and if so what wiring was used to do so?

Can you use something off the dizzy to connect it up to or does the ECU have a pinout somewhere that can be used?

Cheers for any assistance.

Hey mate. The Z24 is carby so no computer. US spec WD21 Pathfinders ran single point injection but Australia never got a EFI Z24 as far as I know.

Do you wanna use a factory instrument panel with the tacho or get a aftermarket unit ?

If aftermarket take the tacho signal off the dizzy.

Dave.

Yep, its definitely carby - just wasnt sure if it had an ECU for some other crap or not.

Was looking at a aftermarket gauge rather than switching out the whole instrument cluster.

Where on the dizzy do I wire it to?

From memory, it connects to the same point as the 12V side of the coil.

Good point, the coil is easier to go off. Was about 5 years ago I hooked up a tacho on my brother's old MQ Patrol. It ran the L28 which the Z series is built off.

Dave.

I have a Z24 and my taco isn't accurate, would that be the gauge or a dodgy wire

Then perhaps the wire.
On mine, there are four wires into the back of the tacho - 1 runs to the distributor, through a 220k resistor (via the loom in the left fender), and the other three I assume are 12V, earth and dash lights.

Is the movement smooth, or jerky?

It doesn't register until I rev it and it's lower than it should be. I would have thought it would pick up the pulse and the strength didn't matter?
Can the needle move on the shaft?

Can the needle move on the shaft?

Yeah, I guess it's possible.
Wonder if there's a capacitor or coil in there somewhere? Dud capacitor or coil might throw the frequency repsonse off. Can you find the resistor between teh dizzy and the left fender? Check its resistance. SHould be 22k or 220k. Can't remember which. Might also try cleaning terminal at dizzy. Extra resistance could in theory do something like that, if I remember basic RLC circuitry.

Latest posts

Back