raised gvm

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo

Reaction score
Hi everyone has anybody had their gvm upgraded can you carry extra load and tow van legally

That depends greatly on what you're towing, and you'd have to get the certifier to give you a similar chart to the one provided by Nissan. For increasing ball weights, you need to reduce GVM by certain amounts.

Haven't sought one myself - previous van was only 1.8T loaded, and the new one is 2550Kg loaded.

The upgraded GVM will allow you to tow and carry more but you'll have a higher weight tax in your rego (in NSW at least).

Hi guys l have a steel tray and aluminium box when going away the box is loaded with gear which puts ute close to gvm and with van on the outfit is JUST legall l was wondering if gvm was raised l could have a bit of leaway (a bit better than JUST legall)

I'd like to know what is that box of yours & how heavy your tray is as well every thing else you got on it.
I have to go through my box to see what i need and what I dont for day to day. Come to think about it where are jumper leads.........

Anyway GVM is always going to be a costly problem, And you dont want to tow something to much heavier then your truck. I towed a car trailer with a d22 dual cab on it with a mates vr ute the other day. Not something I plan on doing again:violin2:.......

I guess you could maybe get rid of somethings you dont really need. But thats all up to you. Go to a suspenion shop. NOT pedders. And talk to them about GVM. Some states in needs to be done before the car is 1st rego. But you will need engineering and the works. Another idea is a Lazy axle or 6*6 coversion.

G'day

ARB 2" lift and upgrade is the one they offer that has a Mod plate available. It adds 200kg to GVM but 0 to GCM I think, Someone has a 300kg upgrade for West Aus vehicles.

Hi all checked out gvm upgrade no point doing it cause dosnt alter gcm so no advantage if towing van

Hi all checked out gvm upgrade no point doing it cause dosnt alter gcm so no advantage if towing van

Thanks,

That's good to know.
As I was thinking about it the other day. And now I know that it doesn't change the GCM as that was kinda my plan.

I then wonder if it's possible to have the vehicle certified for a GCM upgrade? I'm pretty sure the 550 is more than capable of pulling 3.5T, so surely it's GCM could be raised to 6.5T? I wonder if there's a VSI about that ... I might go hunting it down.

On a brief look around, I can say that it would appear that your max towable limit is there to stay. Qld apparently will NOT consider it at all. NSW won't change the towable mass. WA will change the GCM depending on which inspector/engineer does it, but their rules are similar to NSW/QLD. Don't know about other states, but I'd read enough to consider further searching fairly pointless.

There's a possible issue with raising the GVM over 3.5T with emission controls and the prohibitive costs involved. I don't know any specifics - but I do not like the sound of it.

I was thinking if you rasied the gvm to 3.5 ton or even 3 you could leave the towning a 3000. But i guess not

I suppose a raised gvm would be ok if just using ute for camping etc but no benefit for towing BUGGER

G'day

A few issues to consider. The GVM upgrade is supposed to improve ride comfort, ground clearance, vehicle stability and 'rear end' sag.

Gday o4hug you can still get better ride etc by upgrading your suspension without the LARGE expense of gvm upgrade

Back