Another who is looking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjno7

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time poster, complete Nav beginner. Thanks in advance for reading and your advice!

I've recently had my car written off due to hail damage and am in the market. I've been keen on a Navara for ages, so here I am.

My usage will be mostly my everyday car (though I don't drive a lot) and camping trips/long road trips/very light 4WD work.

My budget is probably max of $30k. It's looking like around a 2006 D22 STR, something like this:Used NISSAN NAVARA Private Seller Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au

That's not necessarily what I'm going for, but it's probably around the mark.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are things specifically that I should look for or ask. I've had a trawl around the D22 boards here and it seems the recurring theme is logbook service/oil and filters at 5000K.

Anything else that you learned folk can mention?

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. It's nice to read a forum where all the people seem to be pulling in the same direction. Makes a change from bickering and petty name calling!

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

With your 30k you are sooooo close to getting a new one, any reason why you're not going that way?

Welcome mate to the forum.

I drive a 2006 model D22 and its been a great vehicle, engine has been serviced but other then that, the engine hasn't been touched. Mine is up to 162,000km's now.

Dave.

Yeah as Jason said you are so close, if you intend keeping it for a while, I would be getting a brand spanker. STR's are a great car, I don't think you would regret it.

Thanks guys for your tips.

Yeah, I know I'm close with 30k. I've thought about going down the road and seeing if the Nissan dealer has any slightly hail damaged ones for cheap.

I just can't afford to go any higher as then it'll leave me no money at all for the extras I want to add.

That being said, aside from being new, what would be the benefits of getting a new one vs 06ish model? Any big developments or changes?

And yeah thanks for your encouragement, I"m pretty keen to get my hands on one.

Just different engines really. 2.5 vs 3.0 litres.

Have you got an ABN? Or considered getting one? They are free and get you to 30k easier!

If 30K your limit, and going secondhand, make sure you get one with plenty of extra's, otherwise like the rest of the guy's I'd go a new one.

Sounds like your from Rowville way?

Upwey. You in Rowville? How did your car go in the storm?

The ABN point is an interesting one, what's the deal with that?

Apart from the difference is the models (from memory 2.5 intercooled vs 3.0 non intercooled, slightly larger tray, dual batteries of sorts, not sure what else) someone hasnt been driving it around for 4 years. Navara's seem to hold their value exceptionally well, so you won't save a hell of a lot by buying a few years old. I don't want it to sound like we are ganging up on you though mate, you will know what is best for your circumstances.

The D22 guys may want to correct me n the differences if I have stuffed them up ;)

Na, I'm down Frankston way, we barely got any rain!
But a mates D22 now resembles a screwed up chip packet, $8500 damage to his truck, problem is he's a plumber and need its for work, only way he can get it fixed is to take a couple of week off for a holiday.

Be careful of Ferntree Gully Nissan, I know they have actually inflated the priced of their secondhand damage cars so when you bargain your still paying what they were originally asking for. Sneaky bastards!

Na, I'm down Frankston way, we barely got any rain!
But a mates D22 now resembles a screwed up chip packet, $8500 damage to his truck, problem is he's a plumber and need its for work, only way he can get it fixed is to take a couple of week off for a holiday.

Be careful of Ferntree Gully Nissan, I know they have actually inflated the priced of their secondhand damage cars so when you bargain your still paying what they were originally asking for. Sneaky bastards!

Thanks for the heads up.

What's the difference between intercooled and non-intercooled? Sorry if that's a basic question, my knowledge is limited at best.

To get an ABN you apply online, free.

An intercooler cools the air before the turbo forces it into the engine.

Thanks for the heads up.

What's the difference between intercooled and non-intercooled? Sorry if that's a basic question, my knowledge is limited at best.

Yep, the intake air gets very hot as it's compressed going through the turbo. An intercooler makes a huge improvement in the power stakes.

The 3L is a good motor, especially around that age your looking at. The first of the were average but so was the original YD25.

Both motor's have been out for a while and both have had alot of cash thrown at them.

Dave.

Welcome to the forum!

If you could, the new one would be better also because it would have a factory warranty.

The 2.5L intercooled may also use slightly less fuel than the 3L non-intercooled.

You can always add an intercooler to the 3L model later, and you can always add a misting system to the air-air intercooler on both to rev the power up even more!

Just on the intercooler: air works in a strange yet predictable fashion. The hotter the air is, the more volume it occupies for a given pressure. The inverse is also true: the cooler the air is, the less volume it occupies for a given pressure.

When applied to a combustion engine, it basically means that the cooler the air is, the more air molecules you can stuff into the combustion chamber before it gets sealed off for the firing stroke. That means you get more oomph out of the motor - and the intercooler does not cause any reduction in power to achieve the gains (it doesn't have to be pumped, driven or anything).

There are different kinds of intercoolers. If you're going aftermarket on the 2006 3L, look for one that has good flow characteristics and mounts in front of the radiator.

Well I have started driving my easier then usual for the time being, I am looking to be in the 8L's/100km's.

Will keep everyone informed.

Dave.

Hey mate,

Welcome to sanity!

I was in a similar situation to yourself. I opted for a second hand, one owner, 2006 model, which already had lightforce lights, UHF and a factory steel bull bar. This left enough cash to do other things - canopy, suspension upgrade and snorkel.

When I was looking there were quite a few around and it is worth narrowing your search until you find the right one.

Despite all the crap you will read/be told about the ZD30 motor, I have found mine to be strong and have had no issues whatsoever. Great ute to drive and does the job I expect from it. My only concern is the Bridgestone tyres - they've got to go!

Good luck.

Back