Best bang for buck engine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z24troy

Reaction score
I'm wanting to pull the Z24 out of my ute in exchange for something with a little more balls. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the TD27t.

I'm not flat broke, but I'm not a millionaire so I'm looking for some budget ideas. I don't want it for hardcore 4x4 but I want it to be a little more capable than the worn Z24 that's already in it.

If anyone has any ideas, or if the TD27t would be the way to go, that'd be great.

Also could someone please give me a run through of what I'd need for the TD swap. I've figured bellhousing, wiring, etc, but if someone could give me a semi-thorough list I'd appreciate it heaps.

Cheers!

probably best to get a crashed wreck with working engine and swap everything over.

gearbox may be different, crossmember may be different. certainly need to swap fuel tanks and possible the fuel lines as well. dash, rpm gauge, maybe speedo depending on if its cable/electric.
also check diff ratios, petrols are often different so either diff swap or recalibrate speedo sender.
most common td27t are efi diesels. a manual pump conversion would be the easiest.

the other way is to look at a different petrol engine or turbo.

I'm pretty sure it's the same gearbox, just a different bellhousing. I figured the whole fuel system would be different also, but didn't even consider diffs.

I'm also considering just keeping the Z24 and chucking an SC14 supercharger on it.

Ca18 might be an option, dont ask me what is involved in bolting one up though! Z24 is a slug of an engine and thirsty, but could be ok with a blow-through carby set up and an mr2 blower or something?

Last edited:
Yeah the Z24 is a POS on road, but I was surprised (considering on road performance) when I took it off road. Still wasn't up to much though. I haven't heard much about the MR2 superchargers, but I know the SC14, which I believe is off a Supra, are about as universal as they come. Only downfall is that they're screamers, and I'm on my P's hence why I'm leaning towards turbo diesel.
However, one of my mates has an SC14 that he was gonna put on his Commodore that I could probably get off him for like $300 so it's still seeming like a big possibility.

Just have a look around for a Terrano should have everything you need for a conversion for a td27t. buy the way I did over 250,000 ks in my old terrano only problem was when they changed the diesel mix and my pump leaked. The old girl was good for 155kph loaded or not and not 1k more.

Last edited:
Here we go....

If we stick Nissan and stick petrol (saves swapping tank and stuff).
The gearbox is the standard nissan 4cy gearbox, so it means pick a nissan 4cy engine and you can probably put its bellhouding onto your gearbox and use it.
ill start you off

Ka24 from a a newer navara, newer engine than the Z and is EFI...good reliability and fuel consumption....but will require wiring work.

Sr20de, or sr20det. newer engine, turbo ones are comon and parts are everywhere and they can make Good power. downside is the wiring looms, there easier than ka24 tho, you can buy pre-made SR20 looms to suit conversions RTG. Sumps....if you have 4wd u will either need to lift engine higher or modify the sump.

do the ka24 and put the sr20 turbo gear on it, have a ka24turbo? more tourque and power (sr would be easier tho).

want to go diesel? sure thing kid!
the td25/27/27t gearbox is the same to, but you will once again need the bellhousing!

Td27t is a good engine and you can do upgrades to make it a little quicker...but if you think going from a z petrol to a turbo diesel will give you more 'preformance' than your wrong.

Id only do this if you tow heavy things or like diesel so much your willing to convert.

Ill bet ya it will be slow with a td27 than with a Z24 and i know ive raced my old modified td27t against my mates stock Z and not come close....but i would out pull him anyday and it would happily stay on all day every day doing whatever you told it to do - because its diesel.

**** all those engines you say? sure why not!
Get the V6 4wd gearbox and then wreck a Z32 and get the V6 3l twin turbo and make that fit somehow, i reckon it would be pretty close to fitting....

if you get that gearbox you can also get adapter plates and get shit like the VH4.5l V8 nissan makes.

but once again im not sure it will fit to well...and you would want to be handy with a welder or it will cost a duckload to do.

If your navs 2wd you could just go get a commodore v6 of the side of the road, with a gearbox for less than a carton of beer, put it int he engine bay and make it work.
If you have 4wd its not that easy....but ive heard there are adapter plates...you just need to go looking.

Anyway, have fun and goodluck!

Latest posts

Back