$1300 fine from council worker

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brisbrutale

Reaction score
yes you read correct. Yesterday I received in the mail a fine for littering. Apparently I was driving along Main St @ Wooloongabba and I disposed of a cigarette out my window which was spotted by a council worker!

Firstly, since when has council workers been able to issue fines? Secondly, I dont smoke in my car! It is a "company" fine and if an individual wants to pay for it its only $300.

What i'd like to know is where is the proof it was from my car (photos etc) and how well trained / qualified is the worker to identify the act (do they have security clearance? are they blind? ) and finally, who do I contact to tell them to go and get F&%$&cked? :stop:

one of the guys i work with got done a few months ago at mt gravatt, exactly the same and in a work vehicle so the boss got the notice in the mail. pretty sure it was passed onto individual but i'll ask tomorrow and let you know if they've disputed it.

I'd argue the fact that a council worker would have been asleep if he was on duty, so couldn't have seen anything haha.

Seriously though, thats a big fine!

funny thing is its my car! yes I have my own business but im a sole trader not a company.

I'll have to reread the ticket but I dont think they give the option of dispute, just to nominate an individual. I love our government........

Maybe I cut the guy off in my car and he got pissed so he thought.....i'll get this bloke? maybe the car in front of me flicked the ciggi? maybe it was a falling leave from a tree? maybe it was a part of a jeep i may have been following? who knows? problem is, I drive all over the place so dont even know if I was there on the date specified?

I've heard of someone in Brisbane getting done but they had a picture of him taken by someone in the vehicle behind.

If you don't smoke in your car you can argue that it wasn't you, it may have been the vehicle in front. I'm sure any good lawyer will be able to poke holes in that in an instant, especially if there's no photographic proof that you did it.

Evidence is required.

what an absolute crock of shit, that is the sort of stuff that makes my blood boil. since when were council given that much power, and any bob joe working for them. i agree with matt also, it were an on duty council worker or should i say social worker they would of been asleep. i would definitely be disputing that. good luck mate.

In Vic (I thought it was Aus wide but I could be wrong) it's an EPA ruling that anyone can dob in anyone else for littering out of a vehicle. I don't necessarily agree with allowing anyone to dob people but at the same time I'm sick and tired of people littering and it's not just smoke butts or food rubbish on the road it's anywhere.

In Vic councils have been able to book for parking offenses and the like by mail without proof for years so I'm guessing this is no different if in fact it's a council fine and not just a council worker dobbing someone into the EPA hotline for rules similar to those we have down here.

lol thats pretty funny...if they cant prove it they got nothing...fkn council trying to bluff the public...fkn wankers

that's just crap mate. sounds like some 2nd guessing from council worker who was probably asleep. shame they don't seem to fine the actual wankers who chuck the cigarettes butts out the car. i see at least 3 scum to and from work do it everyday

what an absolute crock of shit, that is the sort of stuff that makes my blood boil. since when were council given that much power, and any bob joe working for them. i agree with matt also, it were an on duty council worker or should i say social worker they would of been asleep. i would definitely be disputing that. good luck mate.

My feelings precisely Matty, stuff like this infuriates me because in reality i wont be able to do much about it. Id love to list how many times ive seen council workers throw rubbish and cigs on the ground when leaning on a shovel. Again another example of beaurocrats making the lives of others a misery because they have nothing better to do and because they simply can.

Would love to run into the person at a BBQ or something. Imagine this "hey Bob what do you do? well I work for the council. Oh hows that? Aww its great, the other day I got this bloke fined 1300 bucks for littering out his car window, not really sure it was him ***SMACK**** what did you do that for? Cause youre a F*&^khead!!!!!!!!"

In Vic (I thought it was Aus wide but I could be wrong) it's an EPA ruling that anyone can dob in anyone else for littering out of a vehicle.

Also to that the dobber, has to say that they are willing to go to court to say they saw you littering. If they are not willing to go to court you can challange and get of straight away. If the are willing to go to court you have to take it that far.

Or so is my understanding.

Edit: i mean the dobber is going to court as a witness to your accused crime.

Yeah there does have to be some sort of a chain of evidence otherwise they would be inundated with payback dobbers getting back at people who piss them off. It's not an entirely anonymous system and it shouldn't be but I still agree with the system in principle, if you litter you should be fined.

I'm not making judgment on this particular case because I don't know anything about it other that what is said here but the one thing that must be remembered here is that the council by laws officers are allowed to fine people for littering in the street whether it be out of a car or on foot the difference being that on foot they can usually reach out and stop you in a car they can't. Council workers leaning on shovels can't issue a fine off their own backs but that doesn't mean that a worker holding up a shovel hasn't got a mate in by laws but there would still need to be some form of evidence somewhere even if it was just in case the person getting the fine tried to take it to court.

It's the same basic principle camera fines are based on, unless you are willing to pay for the photograph you have no hard evidence the speeding fine is legit, and while many people do pay for the photograph as proof there would be just as many if not more who just pay the fine accepting that it might actually be true,

Arent most parking ranger's council employees. And all my parking tickets could just as easily be a setup as there is no photographic proof just a ticket under the window and my word against their that the meter wasnt expired.

Good luck Tiger!!

Last edited:
$1300.00 is absolute BS!!!!! $130.00 maybe, if they can prove you did it, but over $1000.00. This Qld govt/Brisb City Council are out of control.

Hope it ends well,

Dont you just love the increases in fines and everything else in Australia, this country is going down the drain.

Dave.

Here's an interesting story from today's news:

Brisbane City Council has been accused of "blatant revenue raising" after parking and littering fines skyrocketed by 40 per cent.

Residents coughed up more than $15 million in penalties over the last financial year.

The council's parking inspectors issued 256,500 fines worth $15.1 million, compared to $11 million the previous 12 months.

Litterers were slugged $541,000, an increase of more than 250 per cent on 2007-08.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-councils-fine-goldmine-20100324-qusf.html

Fight like hell and make them prove it. I got two suspect fines last year.
Fine 1 - qld gov debt collector - $250 - for a missed "beep" on the e-toll when going over the gateway toll bridge - 2 years earlier.
I said - all my cars have e-toll units supplied by you - your electronics failed - not my problem. They said prove it did not work, I said prove i went thru the toll. They could not prove it, so they dropped it. How many people would just pay up.

Fine 2 - holiday at lindermann island - parked in council car park at schute harbor - paid for 7 days of parking. Got back to the car after 6 days and had a fine($65) - the council supplied parking ticket had faded in the sun. A shit load of e-mails and threats from them of court action - they dropped it. Ruined a great holiday - assholes.

i reckon with a lot of council fines they rely on you giving up and paying it.

my 2 cents worth...