Looking for Canopy for my D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starcraft1

Reaction score
Hi all

I am undertaking the process of trying to find a canopy for our D40 RX Dualcab. I would welcome and help with Types, what to look for, retailers in Brisbane or any thing that will assist us in making a decission. I am the type that will reserch something to death before I make a purchase.

Thanks
David

I got an ARB one after e heap of research, and I am happy with it.

I got the highroof model as the lift up door is quite small on the low roof ones, it means you have to open the door and the tailgate everytime you want to put something any bigger than a basketball in (slight exageration). Just check them out anyway.

Hi Dave

I have a TJM canopy. It has sliding windows - i wanted them as i cart the dish lickers around in there.
The TJM canopy has internal supports for roof bars(can carry 100kgs).
The thing i like the most id the rear window lock/latch. It is a center handle that operates "slam" latches on each side. they operate the same as a car door latch.
Also it has a smooth abs "plastic" finish.
The TJM model costs about $3k

Hope that helps.

I've got an Avenger Canopy, don't see too many of them around but having used several other types of canopies in my time I'd never go back to them in preference to the Avenger. There is a review in the reviews section that tells of a few issues I had with mine but having fixed those I'd still never go back to a TJM or ARB.

The top of mine sits about 3 inches higher than the roof of the cab but the huge lift up side windows allow me enough room to get a 34 litre microwave in its original box out through the window with no struggle, which is a huge bonus in car parks and garages where you can't always get access to the rear tailgate.

There is another mob who sell very similar if not identical canopies listed as Caddy Canopies but they couldn't or wouldn't provide me with enough information before purchase so I chose the Avenger which cost me under $3K

I have the Flexiglass sports canopy. Great looking with rear wing and brake light, rear demister, interior light and carpet lined. Is a smooth finish with roof rails, only good to carry around 50kg though. The tradesmen doors are good for accessing the front of the tray as well.

I've got an ARB one on mine, I'd suggest you avoid Caddy as their installations are as rough as guts, a pity when the canopy itself isn't half bad.

I've got an ARB one on mine, I'd suggest you avoid Caddy as their installations are as rough as guts, a pity when the canopy itself isn't half bad.

Their customer service is crap too. But considering these things really only take 2 blokes and about 3 hours max to install (if they install the same way Avengers do since they look the same) their installations need not come into it if the canopy is the right one for you.

There is certainly things I'd do differently if I installed another one of these canopies again but there is definitely no way I'd ever let someone else install one given they'd probably charge a fee and doing it yourself means you know it's done right and you can concentrate on the important bits like sealing it properly rather than just installing it like a tradesman..

I was just about to suggest caddy, big side doors look good to me and their van racks are very good.
Don't have one though, so can't really comment on quality

It seems all canopies have problems. i really dont think that there is a fantastic canopy out there...in saying this some are definately better than others, ARB, Razorback, Caddy seem to be the leaders while others like SJS canopies and flexiglass have a few horror stories floating around.

Every canopy like just about everything else you can buy will have someone willing to share a horror story how much notice you take of the horror story is your choice. All canopies do a job but very few of us have exactly the same requirements from a canopy so one persons horror story is another persons love story.

For me my canopy is close to perfect, now that I've fixed the factory stuff ups but that doesn't mean it will suit everyone's needs. SJS and some other companies might be cheaper and have horror stories about them but I bet there is still plenty of satisfied customers (or else they wouldn't still be in business), it's just a case of bad news travels faster. No company is immune from that and every company can produce stuff that someone doesn't like.

mate if you are interrested i can do a Ironman canopy for $ 1950
cheers

I got a High roof flexiglass canopy with the tradesman side doors as they are the bigest side doors on the maret which allows me to lift large items in and out the sides and is much more practical than the other brands with small lifting windows or sliding windows. My D22 tub leaks but the canopy does not.

Cheers

On face value the Ironman canopy above isn't a bad price when you consider this one
Nissan Navara D40 Canopy - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 20-Sep-10 08:48:54 AEST)

One thing I would advise with Ironman is to make sure you get a price on everything you want. 12 months ago the bog stock canopy was reasonably priced but the bog stock didn't come with lift up windows, sliding front windows and something else I don't remember right now but by the time the extra were added the cost was only about $100 cheaper than the canopy I ended up with.

You may not want any extras or mods from the standard canopy and therefore the standard might suit you well but it pays to research and ask all the questions you can think of.

Is that price in basic white or colour coded Zordo?

Bugger, they don't do them yet?? for D22, according to their website.

mate that would be how ever they come off the shelf colour coding would be extra
Cheers

Latest posts

Back