Permanent/hardwire mini-USB connector

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
I have a few products (GPS, phone, camera etc) that use a mini-USB connector to charge and connect to the PC. These can be charged in a vehicle with a car charger that has a mini-USB connector on the other end, it converts from 12V to 5V to achieve this.

I am looking for a product that I can hardwire in to a fuse/distribution board to provide a permanent solution in the vehicle. Has anyone seen such a product?

I know I could buy a car charger, disassemble and wire in but I want this to be a last resort.

I'm not sure I'd want the weight of a phone levering itself over the small mini USB plug.

I've also found the mini USB plugs clog up and fail rather easily, so what I've done is run a double cig-adapter out of my centre console, put a pair of 5V USB power supplies in and run standard cables from there. Allows the wife to charge her iPhone and me to charge my HTC with no problems at all. If a cable fails, I toss the thing out and get another.

The disadvantage is a bit of wiring that has to be tucked under the sides of the seats. No biggie in my mind, but might irk some people to see a bit of wire hanging around.

It won't have the weight of the phone on it, I just want a fly lead coming out from *somewhere* with the mini-USB plug on the end.

I've done it by taking apart a 12v->usb plug from jaycar

You can pull out the circuit board and stick into a blackbox. Cut one end off a usb cable hardwire it into the circuit board and hang the other end out to where you need.

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I have a bunch of usb powered gear I need to charge when in remote areas. So a couple of pic's of the above set-ups would be appreciated.

Ta

We changed over to one of those 3-cig outlet 2-usb outlet extension adapters that Aldi was selling a short time ago, managed to buy 5 of them and should have bought 10. They're bloody superb, they haven't once failed or glitched on me.

They plug in to a cig socket and provide 3 more cig sockets and a pair of USB ports, you just plug whatever the hell you want into the USB ports - except an iPad.

For the iPad, get one of ITS 12V adapters and plug that into one of the extension's cig sockets and away you go.

Latest posts

Back