Low Fuel Light on 2009 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_cat

Reaction score
I know my model has a fuel light as it lights when I put the dash on diag but are they actually connected in the 2009 model?

The reason I ask is that I ran the tank right down to find out when it goes on and it didnt. When I refilled I put 65 litres in the tank which means only 5 litres left (70l tank?)

I would think it would have gone on by then if it was going to.

Anyone had it come on with the 2009 model?

My 09 D40 has the light come on anywhere from 18 litres left to 9, it's more often closer to 9 but it has been way out. It's mainly due to the gauge itself being out (something I can't be bothered fixing) but I'd imagine at 5 litres yours should have come on before that time if it's meant to come on and I'd have expected it to be a standard feature on any car these days.

.. I'd have expected it to be a standard feature on any car these days.

Yeah you would be surprised how many things have been disabled in the D22.

Only the driver door switches on the internal light for example. All to save a couple of bucks on the switches in the other doors!

My late '08 D22 has the low warning light,
and it sure comes on early @ 1/4 tank left to go.

It should work on your '09,
but then again it would'nt surprise me.

My fuel light comes on at about 1100-1150km's. Mine is a 2006 model, no idea what the standard tank use to do.

Dave.

My late '08 D22 has the low warning light,
and it sure comes on early @ 1/4 tank left to go.

It should work on your '09,
but then again it would'nt surprise me.

Does yours have the double batteries fitted? Maybe they offset the cost of putting them in :)

Not sure if I should get it checked under warranty. That would mean I would have to get my car actually serviced at Nissan :( and I have fitted an alarm to it so I am sure they would say it was interfering with the light (just because it Nissan and that's an easy way out)

Hey mr_cat,

My 09 D22's fuel light comes on just as the tank gets to the empty line.

I usually put around 63-65 litres in when that happens. I thought they set the "reserve" fuel quantity at around 10% remaining which give you nearly 70km to go before dry?

Maybe there is no science to it by the read of others experiences. Maybe ask Nissan to have a look at it. It should definitely come on.

Cheers,

DJ

Does yours have the double batteries fitted? Maybe they offset the cost of putting them in :)

Not sure if I should get it checked under warranty. That would mean I would have to get my car actually serviced at Nissan :( and I have fitted an alarm to it so I am sure they would say it was interfering with the light (just because it Nissan and that's an easy way out)

Na, just have the one batt.

But i"m thinkin your low light should be working and if not should be fixed by nissan.

What does the alarm have to do with the fuel low warning lamp?

Na, just have the one batt.

But i"m thinkin your low light should be working and if not should be fixed by nissan.

What does the alarm have to do with the fuel low warning lamp?

Sounds like it should work then.

I was just thinking the alarm was an electrical change to the vehicle and they might use that as an excuse to void warranty.

So where is the gauge when the light comes on. I took mine down so the needle was sitting across the E line. I see thats where DeeJay took it - maybe I need to go just a little more (and take a jerry can just in case) I put 65 in and I found out its a 75 not 70 litre tank so thats still 10 litres.

Last edited:
sorry 2 highjack the tread mr cat but does anyone know how many litres or Kms are left when the light comes on ( pre 2.5cr)

I was just thinking the alarm was an electrical change to the vehicle and they might use that as an excuse to void warranty.

So where is the gauge when the light comes on. I took mine down so the needle was sitting across the E line. I see thats where DeeJay took it - maybe I need to go just a little more (and take a jerry can just in case) I put 65 in and I found out its a 75 not 70 litre tank so thats still 10 litres.

As no two seem to be alike, best suggestion by me would be carry a jerry full of fuel,
fill tank to full,
and run it dry,
then you'll have all the answers.

My dealer - questioned several times - was quite clear about one thing. If I made a change that was unrelated to a component that failed on the vehicle then warranty would be covered, but if I fiddled with something and it broke, then they'd very likely decline. It's perfect common sense.

Your alarm system is probably not connected to your ECU, which is the gizmo that drives all the instruments, so Nissan would be really hard pressed to reject a warranty claim on it.

Just a note on running the tank dry - if you've got a diesel, you need to be sure of the procedure to re-prime the engine before you try starting it again.

YOU MUST PRIME THE FUEL SYSTEM PROPERLY BEFORE TRYING TO START IT. If you don't, you could destroy the fuel pump.

YOU MUST PRIME THE FUEL SYSTEM PROPERLY BEFORE TRYING TO START IT. If you don't, you could destroy the fuel pump.

I may have just missed running it low enough to go on. I now would really like to know if it does work so I might run it under the E mark and see.

I havent had a diesel before but I was told I must pump the primer on the fuel pump to prime before I start it. Not sure how I know I have pumped it enough but?

For those that don't have their manuals, here's the procedure:

BLEEDING THE FUEL SYSTEM

Bleed the air out of the fuel system after refilling an empty fuel tank by the following procedure:

1. Operate the priming bulb A* several times until there is a sudden resistance felt in the pressure, then stop.

2. Crank the engine until the engine starts.

CAUTION

Do not crank the engine for more than 30 seconds.

NOTE
* If the engine does not start, stop cranking and repeat step 1 of the procedure

* If the engine does not operate smoothly after it has started, race it two or three times

The priming bulb is (in the pictures in my manual) inline in the fuel hose leading up to the fuel pump. It looks a little like the priming bulb you'd find on a two-stroke lawn mower.

There really isn't a need to run the tank dry, yes it's gives you an exact figure of how far you get etc but a far easier way and accurate for most peoples needs is to fill up when the needle is at set marks on the gauge an see how much you put in.

If the needle is at 1/4 and you fill up and only put 50 litres (d40 tank) in then obviously your gauge is wrong, you can try filling up at half and do the same thing, or wait until the light comes on and mark the spot with a little sticker (or finger mark in the dust if it's like mine). Each time you do this you can get an idea of just how much fuel is in the tank at specific marks.

If you have a scangauge these figures can also be confirmed (well partially confirmed given even scangauge isn't always 100% accurate) but while such methods might take a bit longer you're not running the engine out of fuel. While diesels need priming if they are run out of fuel there is a school of thought out there that has been around for many years that says NO engine should be run out of fuel if it can be avoided.

Hi Guys,

Krafty is right! Don't run your tank dry. When you do this, you suck up every last bit of crap in the tank. Your tank may have some water from condensation of from the fuel uplift from the pump (unlikely but can happen, especially if there is a tanker delivering fuel as you fill up), rust scale, dirt, paint flakes etc in the bottom of the tank. Running it empty ensures you send it through to your filter. Not good if you can avoid it.

There are better ways as has been discussed.

Cheers,

DJ

i wouldn't worry to much about picking up crap from bottom of tank. these engine typically circulate so much fuel the tank gets reasonably well stirred up every time you drive.

whats a bigger problem, especially for those in hot climates, is fuel temps. the less fuel in the tank means the fuel gets hotter. hot fuel performs worse, so try to keep tanks topped up as much as possible.

Picking up crap is a legitimate reason whether its crap settled on the bottom of the tank or crap floating in the tank. But there is also the potential to cause other problems as all the parts that expect fuel don't get it even for the briefest of moments.

Engines aren't really made to starve, too little fuel and they usually cough and fart or stop altogether so it's not unfair to assuming running it out of fuel deliberately even for a one off test isn't something manufacturers recommend.

Latest posts

Back