should i buy a d21 1986

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smole23

Reaction score
hi im new to this forum

i am need a work ute for my job and want to go 4wd on some weekends. i was looking at a toyota but the resale value is so high it is amazing. so i saw the navara and i dont know to much about them

i want to know if it is a good model are they reliable.

are parts easy to find for a car of that age

and will i handle minor 4wd i want to know if this is the car for me

Thanks tom

Is it diesel or petrol?
It will be just as reliable as a hilux of the same age and as for its 4wd abillity, well mine surprised me with what it could do. Don't be fooled, Navaras are serious 4wd's.

Nothing at that age is going to be reliable enough. I would keep saving, Aim for the late 90's if your budget allows.

yer but it has had one owner and has 257 000 kms in really good nic and has all the extras and a rwc with 4 months rego for about 6500

Is it a dual cab? I'd be looking at a lower price if not.

The V6s are thirsty and a little harder to find parts for. If you want cheap, simple, cheap, cheap reliability then go for the four cylinders, but note that they are as slow as the tectonic plates. The V6 transmission hopefully doesn't exhibit the same problems as the four cylinder transmission with the fifth gear.

86 was the very first year of the D21, so you're looking at an old example. I'd want dead straight panels, quality panelbeating repairs, a dual cab, good tyres, no bad noises and good paint for that price. You can get early D22s for $6500. Not discouraging you, just be aware that for that price you're shopping in the top echelon of the D21 market.

It is a club cab

It has a microtech computer 2 inch suspension lift and 2 inch body lift with heavy duty springs in the rear, 32 inch maxxis buckshots 85% tread bullbar and side rails, 9500lb winch, tow bar and spot lights. duel battery setup, twin 12inch thermo fans.Uniden UHF radio, jvc cd player, amp, custom made rear parcel shelf holds kenwwood 7x10s and a kicker 10 inch sub. comes with a canopy

thats most of the extras

i know it sounds like i have mad my mind up but i dont know much about nissan

the price is neg so how much would you pay?

Last edited:
Okay, it's the King Cab from Dandenong I'm watching on eBay. Fair enough. The engine is not a factory fit as the '86 never came with a V6 (I have the brochure to prove it if you need to see), so the engine is a custom swap from a later Navara or a 300zx, probably a Jap import. You'll need to confirm that the swap is recorded adequately on the registration papers, the seller provides an engineer's report if VicRoads has required one, and also find out from the seller what the KMs on the rolling chassis are, compared to the apparent kilometres on the engine/transmission when purchased, and how many kilometres they've done since purchased and fitted. You may have trouble getting mechanics to source parts as the engine is not a standard fitment. If you're fairly cluey about cars this won't be an issue as you can source your own parts.

If all that checks out, and a test drive has you convinced all is sweet, $6500 is good with all those extras. A dual cab would fetch a higher price.

I just had a look on ebay, I'd buy it. But as pro-nav suggested, check that engine swap is ligit.
Hey, if you do but buy it, you would really be helping a few of us out by finding out how he did the conversion.

Last edited:
It just concerns me that when you look at the Ebay listing, the stats state the old z24 motors engine number.
I would contact the seller and ask him if its all engineered.

i thinking as well that it would have done alot of 4wd beause of the setup and i think its abit iffy with the motor swap and i was really after dual cab in the Toyota hulix the xtra cab has 2 seats so i think im gonna look for something else

i want something not played with to much coz its for work

Ideally yes, a RWC would catch a dodgy engine swap, but A) some mechanics are lazy, and B) he might have got a mate to do the RWC for him, it happens.

If you wanted a dual cab, settle for no less. You could have a really clean late D21 dual cab diesel for $6500.

The TD27 diesel from the D21 lasts forever. If you're looking at that one, have a GOOD listen for the whipping sound of buggered bearings across a range of speeds - the gearbox usually needs a rebuild from 200,000 kays upwards.

Latest posts

Back