HR advice needed.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leprechaun

Reaction score
As stated I need some advice on Human relations. Violence has to be avoided because I'm only 5'4" tall 64kg.

I have recently being promoted in charge of overseeing the building and commisioning of a large pilot plant a 2 million+ project. Problem is I'm much younger than my the rest of the guys. I get along with most of them really well and consider most of them as mates, but they are taking advantage of the situation and slacking off, Now I'm doing more work than I was before the promotion to keep things moving but I'm not getting any more money. In fact I earn less than most of the blokes I'm now in charge of.
Today I asked one of the guys to pull his finger out and he reacted by demanding I put in writing and has now put me up for bullying!.

Any advice good, bad or funny would help as beer is struggling to take away the stress I'm feeling right now.

Cheers.

I feel your pain mate. As a retail manager i know it can be hard to get your staff to do the things they are ment to be doing, without the fear of being put up to the union for overstepping your mark.

The best thing you can do is know your union agreement (i'm presuming your on a union site). These are fairly specific about what is expected of those who are working for you and their rights. It should also spell out what you can demand of your troops and how you can deal with them should they fail to comply. We have a verbal warning, written warning on to dismisal format. Depending on the severity of what has occured.

Make sure you dont give ground to your workmates as they will only abuse the fact that you are soft on them. If they are slacking of under your watch they are not really acting like they are your mates as true mates would work harder for you.

I'm sure that you would not have been put in charge of this project if those above you thought you could not do it.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Sounds like they're testing you out mate.
Around a year ago i was taken off the tools and put in charge of 12-15 guys,i had worked with most of them on a daily basis and got along well with all of them.
All of a sudden i'm checking the work and making comments,good and bad,dealing with the"he's slacking,he didn't do this"complaints and the smart arses testing me out.
I went in hard with the" no friends this is work attitude"because bad workmanship would reflect on me.
A few of the boys complained to my boss that i was been a bit hard,and they still sometimes do but i back myself and always come out on top.

My advice,go in hard because when the job falls behind,the bosses boot will find your behind.
If they want to complain be prepared and be able to back yourself.
If they are not backing you they are not good work mates.

During work hours,

You are either their BOSS, or

their workmate.

Pick which one you want to be,

cant be both.

During work hours,

You are either their BOSS, or

their workmate.

Pick which one you want to be,

cant be both.

Absoutely 100% correct. You are the boss, you are being paid to be the boss. So take charge but don't be arrogant; win them over and all will be well - but take charge and now!

Different tack.
Lead by example.
I have supervised and "bullied" others before. Show them that you are serious by taking them serious and by getting amongst the work they are doing. Put in along side them and earn their respect. Be seen to be doing more than they are and be decisive in your actions.
Listen to their gripes and grumbles - most are petty - and deal with the minor things as soon as you can but re-assure that the major complaints / issues are being dealt with at a higher level beyond your control.
Nothing worse than having a boss that just delegates.
Most of all don't be a smart arse.
Assimilate

Failing all else talk to your superiors, document what is happening and fill them in as soon as possible. Ask them for advice, not us. If they fail to assist you then join the rabble and the lot of you can all slack off! :smile:

While I agree with Aido that your first stop should be discussing this with managers (I hate calling them superiors just because they have a better title) I have been in similar situations when managing staff and my managers were of the opinion that they put me in charge of the others and therefore it was my problem to sort them out, which isn't very encouraging when your looking for help but sometimes it's the way managers work.

I also agree with Krankin about being the boss, you have to make them aware that you are the boss and they treat you that way. I wouldn't suggest using a baseball bat around the head is a good way of making them see this so you might have to dig deeper into the beer can for the right way to handle it but it's the only way some people actually respond to such situations. I don't think you have to be either a boss or a friend because I know there are some people you out there who can handle it both ways but for those who can't sometimes friendships may falter.

I can't see how telling someone to pull their finger out is bullying unless of course you put the finger there in the first place which could also explain why this person isn't working very hard to begin with. I've seen some good written warnings in my time but "failure to pull his finger out during working hours" would attract more attention than is needed I'm sure.

I agree with Jason, you must document everything. I just finished an OH&S course and we were told if it is not documented it didnt happen. Also if you think you are going to get a bad reaction when you pull blokes up try and take a witness with you so they cant go the bullying crap. Its a real shame some people behave this way as you also have bosses that you are answerable to as well. Good luck mate middle management is a hard place to be.

tough place to be in 08kingcab, but remember that it's not bullying if you are giving direction expected of your position. i know i ask for most requests in writing to cover my a$$ not to create problems though. Perhaps if you dismiss the bullying issue temporarily and send through the request, a direction, in writing/email you might get some traction. that way if it is not done in a timely and satisfactory manor you will have some recourse. you got the job for a reason, your obviously the one your superiors will support so be confident & professional and trust yourself to make the right decision.

Good luck.

I run my electrical contracting company in Sydney, which I started at 27, obviously the majority of staff you can find are over 27 and, I think don't ever give you the respect you deserve, they just don't understand exactly what goes on behind the scenes in generating their paycheque every week, I used to be mates with them all, not stress when a job wen't over on hours, not be too worried when they turned up late etc etc.
I changed my mind recently and am now playing hard ball, work is work, I still have a beer after work with them, but between 7-3.30 they do what I say when i say it, i honestly think they are happier knowing thats the way it is and the business is running smoother because of it.
A $2million job isn't that big, so I know the issue, you know everyone well & don't want them talking about you behind your back, but you are the boss, and if you don't have their respect the whole job will be more difficult.
Get the bloke who put the complaint against you into your office and give him a written warning, he'll soon sharpen his attitude up, and if he doesn't, he goes, simple. As previously mentioned, he's no mate.
Oh, and being 5'4" or 7'4" makes no difference, unless you actually want to go him in the carpark afterwards, which I wouldn't recommend.

Some great advice given already mate.
Be 'in charge' and behave that way. They will soon show you the respect you deserve. It can be done without playing 'hard ball'. Be firm and consistent in your directions and document any crap - and make sure they know you are doing it and why. Using the term 'bullying' is often a cop out thrown around by lazy people who don't want to do as their told and think by throwing the bullying around they will get left alone. Don't back off - do the job that is expected by your boss. Take them on with any claim for bullying - then they will be seen for what they really are. Mates play by the rules. And as already said, talk to your manager about it so he is in the picture and no surprises come his way - he will support you.

Nver let your frustrations show through losing your temper, raising your voice etc. Use logical arguments/discussion and try to get the guys to agree and commit to completing a task on time before they start.

There's an old saying in the builing industry

"If you like your foreman then he's not a good foreman"

Your there to get the job done and if the workers are any good they'll know that.

Latest posts

Back