What are safe exhaust gas temps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackmortice

Reaction score
Just put an EGT in, but have no idea what is an unsafe temp. Temps now range from 300 to 450c. What is dangerous, I imagine its going to get quite abit hotter towing a trailer through soft sand.

Hi
All depends where you have put your egt probe.If you put the probe before the turbo in the exhaust manifold about 650c temp range.If you put the probe after the turbo in the dump pipe take about 200c of the temp.So that would make it about 450c temp range.

Shane

max safe temps, pre turbo about 800 and after turbo about 600-650 depending a bit on the turbo.

This is good info. I have seen 550 a couple of times and my probe is 200mm past my dump pipe.

I had a feeling that (near the turbo charger), a safe EGT that would prevent the turbo charger fro cooking itself on shutdown was around the 200C mark.

There's oil pumped through these things. If they are shut down hot, the oil in the turbo bearings gets cooked, creating varnish and hard deposits in the bearings. Eventually, this causes bearing wear and ultimately turbo failure. This may be catastrophic, as a turbo charger eating itself at high rpm will pump its broken bits straight down the engine's throat and write the engine off as well (unless you've got an intercooler in the way).

The objective is to shut down with the temperature of those bearings low enough so that the oil in there doesn't cook. For the life of me I can't find the numbers, so hopefully someone else will come along with that info.

Hi Guys

I generally don't take my egt past 650c.My probe is before the turbo in my exhaust manifold which had to be removed from the engine then drilled and tapped to take the probe.When I have finished driving I let the egt temp get to about 150-180c before turning of the engine.I have fitted a turbo timer to my navara and it takes about a 1 minute to cool down with normal city driving.For towing and 4wd driving i let the engine run down for about 3 mintues.

Shane

for shut off temps i wait till its down to 150. probe is in dump pipe. if let it idles for 5-10min it will be down to 100.

coldest i've seen is 50, going down hill.

Back