Soft tonneau cover concern.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Reaction score
The plastic strip on the tailgate end of my soft tonneau cover has become brittle and is slowly falling to bits meaning that soon Ill be unable to lock the cover down. The cover is just 18 months old and has not had a lot of use.

Anyone else had this problem??

Jeff.

There was another thread a few weeks ago where someone was saying their cover had become brittle, don't remember anything else about the thread right now but there might have been some answers in it for you.

i had the same problem with mine and was replaced under warranty about 2 years ago last time i was in the dealer they asked me if i have any problems with it as there was a product recall on it but mine had the new one already fitted take it back nissan should replace it

Thanks all,

The cover has obviously not been used that often (I'm retired) and its not as though I've punished it in any way - me thinks a UV problem maybe??.

I will front up to Frankston Nissan tomorrow and see what happens.

Jeff.

Good news

At last something good to say about Nissans service - and something not quite as good.

Took the car into Frankston Nissan this morning re the tonneau cover and they replaced it there and then - no problems.

However,
Serviceman tells me that their records show that I was sent a letter regarding a recall on the tonneau cover Plus a recall regarding the deployment of the airbags.

I received no such letter - I would not ignore something like the airbag deployment especially.

My natural suspicious nature thinks that maybe because I dont take my car there for servicing my letter got misplaced??
But that wouldn't be right I'm sure!!

Jeff.

Thats great news on the tonneau mate.

Its a pity you didn't get notified but at least they told you now!

Technically if they have your details they do have to notify you of certain safety recalls, although it would usually come from Nissan Australia not the individual dealers but that still doesn't mean you will receive it. Things always get lost in the mail, especially those things that were never sent in the first place and have no proof they were sent and there isn't much you can do about it unfortunately.

Although the site may not list every recall it's a good reminder for everyone to periodically check (and post here for others if necessary) the government recalls website Nissan, for the record there is no airbag recall for anything other than the Maxima, which might even explain why you didn't get any letter about such an important recall. Can't say I've seen too many people on here talk about airbag recalls but I'm sure if anyone has had one they will pipe up now.

Glad you got the cover sorted although I'm quite suprised they actually had one in stock for you and didn't give you the usual "it will be 3 weeks until we get one" excuse.

Brilliant as I went looking for the other thread earlier this week. My soft tonneau crapped itself over the weekend. 12 months old and the plastic has broken away.

Edit: just called my local dealer and yes its true a 'recall' on all soft tonneau's with the white plastic strip. The replacement tonneau uses grey plastic which is more durable.

Last edited:
Bosshog,

That's the one they put on today - the grey plastic one, looks better and feels more flexible.

Crafty,

I was pleasantly surprised when they said to take a seat while they fitted a new one - did expect either a lengthy discussion or at least a wait for a new one.

Suggest that anyone with an STX should contact their local Nissan Dealer re the airbag - maybe some other letters got lost too.
Strange that Gov'nt web site didn't list either recall?? might drop them a line.

Jeff.

Just finished putting my two bobs worth into the recalls website - see what, if anything, happens.

Last edited:
My tonneau cover clips failed after two and a half years. Nissan replaced them under warranty at 70000km service also with the grey plastic.

Re the airbag recall, I had that done at 20000 km service in April 2008 if that is the one you are talking about. (bought new July 2007). I can't recall getting a letter but it was checked and done at that service. They called it Airbag Recall PS8A1.

Had airbag recall at 40000 sevice,i don't think it is the airbag itself but something to do with the electricals.
Passenger side from memory.
No letter,they told me when i picked it up after service.

My tonneau cover is doing the same thing so this is great. I'll mention it to them on the next service.

Received a reply from Government Recalls and they advise that the airbags work according to Australian design rules and it is a software tweek that Nissan are doing to try to get their NCAP rating on the Navara up from a minus 1 score.
So not a lot to worry about it seems??

Jeff

Sounds reasonable to me and explains why it wont be under a national recall. I don't give a rats about the NCAP rating anyway given that even at 8 months old I'm betting my Nav isn't as safe as they supposedly tested it as. If it was a failure and the bags didn't work i might be worried but as long as they work Nissan can tweak away all they like.

Hi all after a 4 week wait for the new tonneau's to arrive in Australia they are now here. Mine was fitted today by a "Nissan Mechanic" as all warranty claims need to be fixed by an authorised mechanic - even replacing a soft tonneau!

Gus

I'm somewhat amused by this thread, as the tonneau on my 86 D21, while looking a little dodgy, is still the original one and is still in one piece. It has spent all its life in Qld, the last five in Nth Qld, and most of that ungaraged. Oh, I did replace the elastic after cyclone Ului came through, and the tonneau sat with about 100L of water in it for a week (I was away, the D21 was at the airport, not undercover).

I'm somewhat amused by this thread, as the tonneau on my 86 D21, while looking a little dodgy, is still the original one and is still in one piece. It has spent all its life in Qld, the last five in Nth Qld, and most of that ungaraged. Oh, I did replace the elastic after cyclone Ului came through, and the tonneau sat with about 100L of water in it for a week (I was away, the D21 was at the airport, not undercover).

They don't em like they used to!

A minus one score? Does that mean they actively kill people??

LOL ... surely not a contender against the Hummer. Imagine Nissan Navaras with 50 cal's mounted in the tub screaming through the hills of Afghanistan with Lee Kernigan belting away at full blast on the stereo... fishing rod holders with spare mortar rounds ... and a bloody Aldi winch. That'd send the Taliban packing ... for the funny farm!

The appropriate page on the recall web site is here. No sign of PS8A1 on it, naturally enough, I'll be asking my dealer about this on Monday. Mine's a 2009 model, not sure if it needs it but will check anyway.

At last something good to say about Nissans service - and something not quite as good.

Took the car into Frankston Nissan this morning re the tonneau cover and they replaced it there and then - no problems.

However,
Serviceman tells me that their records show that I was sent a letter regarding a recall on the tonneau cover Plus a recall regarding the deployment of the airbags.

I received no such letter - I would not ignore something like the airbag deployment especially.

My natural suspicious nature thinks that maybe because I dont take my car there for servicing my letter got misplaced??
But that wouldn't be right I'm sure!!

Jeff.

You need to contact Nissan and make sure they have your details correct versus your VIN number. All safety related recalls get three letters. After the first one if you don't have it checked in the first couple of months (2 or 3 I think) you get a seconed letter. Then after six months if there is still no record of it being done you will get a thrid letter. Seems your details are not correct on the Nissan database. Get it sorted as there will be another recall letter going out this week for a new recall.

Latest posts

Back