Smokey zd30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i was wondering what i can do to stop my zd30 from smoking. It seems to let out a steady stream of smoke from around 2500 revs untill i change gears. It was serviced just recently and it didn't help, i didnt get the injectors done though.
Any suggestions?

what color smoke?
how many km's has it done ?

if it was injectors i would expect it to be smoky at all revs. could be airflow related. i would get if fixed quick. these motors are nicknamed grenades for a reason. having them smoke is not good for them.

would pay to get compression check done.

its got 100,000 on it. Its hard to tell what colour it is but from what i can see from in the car its grey, i can only see it at night in the car behind me's lights. not like a giant cloud but you can still see it

if it's black smoke it will be injectors/too rich.
if it's grey will be burning oil. possibly turbo seal. and you will notice it on deceleration after you give it a boot full
if steam it will be coolant. but you'll notice it at idle

I'd start with some nicotine patches, or maybe try the quit line.....

Ohh, that's bad. Hahahaha.

Its hard to tell what colour it is but from what i can see from in the car its grey, i can only see it at night in the car behind me's lights. not like a giant cloud but you can still see it

Mate that's a funny visual trick. My old man's F250 has a driver's side exit exhaust and the 7.3L turbo diesel - you can watch the exhaust all day long in the wing mirror. During the day, no matter how much of a boot-full you give it or what revs, there's not a puff of smoke. 90,000 kays on it. At night however, as you've said, watching in the light of a following car's headlights, it looks like it's single-handedly pouring global warming into the world. Looks greyish.

Moral of the story, get somebody (trustworthy :big_smile:) to drive the thing away from you in the daytime while you watch from behind. Better than watching in the headlights of other cars.

Mine does the exact same thing.

Dont worry about it, nothing wrong with it. As Dion described is what mine does.

Dave.

on the other hand ours don't have any smoke, including at night in the headlights, and one D22 has just hit 200,000km.

What can I say, I don't stare at the headlights of the cars behind me and I certainly don't have to worry about breathin' that sht in!

Seriously, the colour is the most important detail. Here's the guide that I wrote somewhere else as well:

Black smoke: running too rich, might be injectors/ECU/air restriction
White smoke: injectors need cleaning
Blue smoke: oil burning, may be valve guides/turbo seals
Brown smoke: passengers frightened

white smoke: ignition to cold, poor ignition. ignectors, low compresion, poor timing.
brown smoke: for petrol motor raw fuel pouring out.
brown windows: nappy explosion !

Hey Skippy, I'm assuming you're still in my area. Bring it around if you like and we'll have a good look at it.
PM me (I've moved, but not far)

Hey yakka, I've started renting the place out so i'm actually not in the area anymore. Looks like i'll have to get someone to drive it and have a look at the colour of the smoke. From in the car it looks grey but i'll have to check from out side

Latest posts

Back