2 wheel drive

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smole23

Reaction score
i just got my d21

i was driving it home and i filled it up and half a tank is gone would have drove an hour or so. i think i must have it on 4 wheel drive lol

how do i make in go on to 2 wheel drive i am a bit of a noob this is my first 4wd and i want to get in to it!!

i have the switches on the front wheels

lock and freewheel

and some switch on the dash lol

ill i know this a bit funny to you guys lol

Would be a total disaster if you drove it for an hour on tarmac in 4x4... The transfer chain will have to be replaced if not more. The two hubs should be flicked to "free" and the little stubby gear stick should be as far forward as it will go. There are instructions on the driver's sunvisor.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe you just had the hubs locked in. Half a tank for an hours driving seems extreme, might be some other issues there. Faulty fuel gauge?

Congrats on the purchase, mate, I don't want to sound condescending but go do a 4wd course. They can teach you a lot especially if you are new to 4wding. They should show you what to look out for inside and outside the vehicle.

Have fun!

Dosent sound like driving in 4wd is your only issue as mentioned above. also if you were in 4wd on tarmac for that long, that in itself is quite something. you would have noticed the transmission pulling you and making all sorts of noises.

in 4wds like the navara the transmission winds up and the energy needs to be released by the weakest / easiest means. whilst offroad the wheels just spin to release it, but the added traction of tarmac can break mechanical components, like transfer cases etc. it is always advisable to disengage 4wd as soon as you are re-entering tarmac and similar conditions.

My Navara somtimes sticks in 4wd when i shift into 2wd after driving in 4wd for a while, to get it back you just need to drive in reverse for a few meters. Oh and as Jason mentioned, a 4wd course is a good idea. you will not believe what your Nav can do until you are shown. good luck & enjoy.

Congrats on the purchase, mate, I don't want to sound condescending but go do a 4wd course. They can teach you a lot especially if you are new to 4wding. They should show you what to look out for inside and outside the vehicle.

Have fun!

I did a course even after doing a few years of offroading and really enjoyed it. They are great.

afaik D21 never had electronic 4x4 control, so no "switch on the dash" to control 4x4. you should have lever by the gearstick to change into 4x4.

I did mine is brisbane here, but there would be some all over australia I would imagine. I just googled offroad course and it brought up a heap of them. I took my missus along too so that she could learn aswell, she really enjoyed it. I'll try and find the name of the place i did mine through.

Z24 engine ?

Out of tune or a rooted carby will do it.

Id believe it, Z24's use alot of fuel for bugger all power.

Dave.

I did mine is brisbane here, but there would be some all over australia I would imagine. I just googled offroad course and it brought up a heap of them. I took my missus along too so that she could learn aswell, she really enjoyed it. I'll try and find the name of the place i did mine through.
thanks mate

ok i have done what you said with the hubs they where on free

after a drive to the short drive to the shops the front hubs are really hot is this normal?

anyway here are some photos of the car

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

ok i have done what you said with the hubs they where on free

after a drive to the short drive to the shops the front hubs are really hot is this normal?

Not at all. You might have excessively dragging front brakes, jack one of the front wheels up and try to turn it by hand. There should be drag, but not enough to stop you spinning the wheel by hand.

is the 4wd selector stick in 2wd in that photo?

Looks like it to me.

So when you jacked up the front wheels you could spin the wheel by hand? In that case get the hub bearing preload checked, too tight and it can generate heat. When you say hot, are you talking too hot to touch? 70+ degrees? Warm is normal.

um i can touch it for about 3 seconds

can u change these to lpg?

and what holds the spare tyre to the body is it one of the wind up think coz my one is missing how would i get one

um i can touch it for about 3 seconds

can u change these to lpg?

and what holds the spare tyre to the body is it one of the wind up think coz my one is missing how would i get one

Maybe not an issue then. Like Dave said, might be an out of tune carby.

Yes.

Dunno where you'd get one but they're not hard to make, a metre of hmm, 10mm OD circular bar stock, weld a ~20mm length of 5-6mm circular bar perpendicular but centred to the end of it, and grind the other end into a square to fit your jack handle, and paint.

Latest posts

Back