Any need for a Turbo Timer?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara_cruz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

just wanted to know if there is anyone using a turbo timer and is there any point in getting and running with one in the newer turbo powered cars and trucks these days?

i don't use one, i simply wait a while before turning it off. imho turbo timers are worth while, i'm just to cheap to buy one !
also watch your rules, i understand parts of aussie you are not allowed to leave a vechile with its motor going unattended so turbo timers are pointless.

If your turbo is water cooled there probably isn't any real need, let it run for 20-30 seconds before turning it off and it should be fine, but if the turbo isn't water cooled it is a different story, after hard running it can take a good 1-2 mins (even longer on a 40 degree day) before the exhaust temp gets down to 150 degrees C.

I used to just wait around for the EGT gauge to get down to 150 C before shutting it down, but I installed a timer to use when it is safe to leave the car running on the timer, if for instance it's on a hill I will stay in the car and wait for the exhaust temp to drop, then shut it down and stick in gear before leaving the vehicle. It's handy for when I get to work cause I'm usually late, its dead flat ground, and I know it's safe to rely on the handbrake. :big_smile:

Always wanted one, but the nav hardly ever gets hammered. After towing the tool trailer to work I sometimes leave it running for up to 5 mins, or after a good hammer along the 4x4 tracks or beaches

Our Terracan has a sticker that advises that after sustained highway driving or towing the engine should be left to idle for a period of 40 to 90 seconds.

In my experience with turbos a timed idle down is a good idea.

As for the legality.... I dont always do as im told.

Not sure if anyone has read the Nissan manual but in my one it says you always let the engine idle for at least 30 seconds or longer before turning it off.

D22 turbo is not water cooled. i think D40 is. i know in some of the nissans they changed back to not water cooled turbo's in the later years. not sure if thats cost cutting or as rumor has it the water jackets in the variable turbo's where leaking.

i don't use one, i simply wait a while before turning it off. imho turbo timers are worth while, i'm just to cheap to buy one !
also watch your rules, i understand parts of aussie you are not allowed to leave a vechile with its motor going unattended so turbo timers are pointless.

Not only but also, I believe it is an offence to leave a vehicle unlocked and unattended in a public place, or is the local copper who told me just trying to cut down on his paperwork on stolen cars?

Not only but also, I believe it is an offence to leave a vehicle unlocked and unattended in a public place, or is the local copper who told me just trying to cut down on his paperwork on stolen cars?

cooper is probably right. i understand thats the case in parts of AU.

I put a Bogaard timer in not long after i bought the Navara. After seeing upteen trucks at work with timers on them do bearings and break the internal shaft, ( the only reason they did was because drivers turned them off all the time ) i didn't hesitate to put one on. They are that easy, it just plugs into the loom, there is a spare plug for it. 10 minute job.
Mine is set on 3 minutes unless i only drive around the corner.

cheers,

Lance

A turbo timer is like pointing at the wires to attack for hotwiring. I get a laugh when people install an alarm/immobilizer and a turbo timer, kinda defeats the point of all black wires on the alarm, and yes its offfence to leave cars running unattended.

Any car thief won't need anything more than a screwdriver and a bit of wire start a Navara so your theory that it makes it easier is a little flawed and that's if they go to the trouble of pulling the cover off the steering column, most will already know what colour wires to look for under the dash before they break in.

If you have an alarm and a turbo timer the alarm will still sound when a door is opened.

Alarms and immobilisers dont realy stop thieves from stealing cars. They deter them.

The idea is to make the theif decide on an easier target.

Anyway a timer is designed to prolong the life of a turbo. I dont think any thought was put into whether its not legal in one state or another or if a theif could steal it 15 seconds quicker than normal.

A turbo timer is like pointing at the wires to attack for hotwiring. I get a laugh when people install an alarm/immobilizer and a turbo timer, kinda defeats the point of all black wires on the alarm, and yes its offfence to leave cars running unattended.

If some kid wants to break in and go for a joy ride then hopefully an immobilizer will deter them and go to the next one, but a seasoned thief ,professional crook , wouldn't have a problem, i can just here him saying " oh look he has a turbo timer , gee that makes my job so much easier to hotwire this Navara", what a load of crock. My immobilizer does one job and the turbo timer does another, end of story.

If some kid wants to break in and go for a joy ride then hopefully an immobilizer will deter them and go to the next one, but a seasoned thief ,professional crook , wouldn't have a problem, i can just here him saying " oh look he has a turbo timer , gee that makes my job so much easier to hotwire this Navara", what a load of crock. My immobilizer does one job and the turbo timer does another, end of story.

each to their own. i believe my advice is sound, came from the professional that installed my alarm.

or you steal turbo cars and this is how you learned your trade. is this how you got your name.....wozenme.....just kidding mate! :no:

Thanks for all the info on this one. Its more for when I hit the job site or when the misses takes her turbo Subuaru out and down to the shops. I have no problem sitting there for a few minutes but those red light specials at Target get her all the time...haha.

Once I have my turbo in, even though it's water cooled and it's excessive redundancy, I'll have a concealed timer that keeps the secondary water loop going for six minutes after shut off, which makes life easy because it's legal, secure and set-and-forget.

Once I have my turbo in, even though it's water cooled and it's excessive redundancy, I'll have a concealed timer that keeps the secondary water loop going for six minutes after shut off, which makes life easy because it's legal, secure and set-and-forget.

thats not a bad idea, turbo timer running a small electric water pump pumping water through the turbo's water circuit. add a remote cooler for it and it will be cool as ;)

Latest posts

Back