Giant Fridge/Freezer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
Has anyone used this brand of unit or know some history about them.
All units seems to be pretty much the same to me and I've never had a vehicle fridge before.
I'm looking at getting the 45L, it's just for me as it holds enuff cans for an hour or two.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Po...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ec25361f

Cheers

PS. I'll be using an ArkPak to run it. might have a generator as a back up.

Been looking at them myself but have been hoping for them to go on special. Have bought a solar kit and 2 batteries from them and i am happy with their service and knowledge. They are $659 on their website but that is plus delivery.

It's powered by the BD35 and claims a power consumption of 54W. In practice you shouldn't ever see it consume that much power and the BD35 unit is robust. In reality it's up to the insulation around the cooling chamber, and the seal in the lid that would make this stand apart from similarly-equipped fridges like the Waeco range. ARB chose the Danfoss BD35 for some of their fridges and the CR-140 Waeco we had in our caravan was exceptional at what it did (although being a 140L upright it consumed more than its fair share of power).

I've looked at a lot of fridges in the last few days and my heading is spinning.
Engel has the name but pricey. I've read too many sad stories about the Waeco and then you have ARB, Primus, Evakool etc.
A mate bought an ARB a few years back, the fridge wasn't too bad on stinking hot days but the Waeco power pack supplied was bloody hopeless.
$600 to $700 is still a fair chuck of money to be spending. Dunno if I keep researching or just bite the bloody bullet and get the Giant.
Having said that, the ARB fridge doesn't look too bad.

I have also been looking at the jaycar one which also looks identical to the ironman and opposite lock offerings. 3 year warranty on the fridge and 5 years on the danfoss compressor. As i mentioned i am just waiting on specials.

Bit the bullet and got the 45L Giant.
It's on Ebay at the mo for $619 and that includes postage.
Apparently it's 15% discount on all ebay stuff till midnight to celebrate 15 years of Ebay.
Guess I'm about to find out how it performs.
Forgot to say, it's got 60mm of insulation which seems more than most and comes with padded cover, that should help.

I see Aldi has a Stirling 40 litre fridge on special for $449. Has a Secop BD35F compressor -formerly Danfoss ( so the ad in the catalogue says). Anyone know much about these?

Just done a bit of research on the Aldi fridges. From what I can see, they are a re-branded Primus. The Stirling user manual refers you to copr.com.au which is companion, with one of their brands being Primus. Even the model number is the same. I've found the identical Primus for $799, and Aldi are selling their Stirling unit for $449. My birthday soon, so hoping to talk Swmbo into buying one.

I see Aldi has a Stirling 40 litre fridge on special for $449. Has a Secop BD35F compressor -formerly Danfoss ( so the ad in the catalogue says). Anyone know much about these?

It's cheap, drove past the ironman store in Howitt street today Bullwinkle and they have there 40L fridge for $550 I think it was, big sign on the window, might pay to check it out

Ended up buying one of these....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261602794123

Ordered Monday night 6.00 pm, arrived by Toll Wednesday 2.00 pm. Cooled from 17 degrees to -4 in less than 2 hours (empty). $370 delivered, and for the rare use that it will get, I'm pretty happy. It's a rebranded Evakool, with the reference to Evakool deleted from the user manual. We'll take it it the Deni ute muster for its first workout.

Bought the Giant 60l version with dual zones. It is rather large but the 30l engel (which broke) was just too small for us.

Back