how do u change the steering wheel on a d21

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smole23

Reaction score
hi again

i got a aftermarket steering wheel off ebay with the converter

but i can not get the old one off can anyone give me some steps

You have two options.

Steering wheel remover, supercrap auto etc, makes it easy.

OR

Muscles. Sit in the seat, put the seatbelt on tight, push against the firewall with your feet and pull the wheel towards you, wriggling the top, sides, bottom etc. It'll release suddenly so be ready.

The second option works about 80% of the time.

Muscles. Sit in the seat, put the seatbelt on tight, push against the firewall with your feet and pull the wheel towards you, wriggling the top, sides, bottom etc. It'll release suddenly so be ready.

For that method you should probably invest in a padded jacket or a cushion between you and the seatbelt, I've not taken the steering wheel off a Nav but I have taken them off previous vehicles and you're right it pays to be ready or your ribs may pay for it.

just loosed the nut a few turns, otherwise it can easily break your nose when it pops off!

You have two options.

Steering wheel remover, supercrap auto etc, makes it easy.

OR

The second option works about 80% of the time.

The first option, do it safe and properly.

Dave.

If it hasn't been off in years, borrow a remover if you can. After that if you remove it regularly it won't be an issue. Mine isn't an issue, it's just that first time it comes off that can be impossible/risky.

Undo the nut to the end of the thread and give it a belt with a hammer, give it a wiggle then do it again. Gets it off everytime. Just did it to both of my D21's.

Undo the nut to the end of the thread and give it a belt with a hammer, give it a wiggle then do it again. Gets it off everytime. Just did it to both of my D21's.

I wouldn't recommend this method, you can break the shear pin and collapse the steering column!

I wouldn't recommend this method, you can break the shear pin and collapse the steering column!

I dont mean smash the crap out of it!! Just enough to loosen the wheel from the spline. If its been in place since it was originally put on I dont think any amount of pulling will get it free!!

Back