Thompson State Forest 5 April 2010.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgie

Reaction score
:big_smile:Howdy,

Went for a 'casual' drive today with a mate. We had initially planned to take two Navs but decided we wouldn't be doing anything too hard so we could survive in one. Our plan was to check out some huts and do some 'recon' for a later weekend trip.

We headed off in my 2006 D22 and went up from Erica to the Walhalla Road adjacent to the Thompson Reservoir and went down Merringtons Track. We made our way to Donnelly Creek Track which had no issues apart from the occasional traffic jam - us going in, everyone else leaving!

Checked out some great huts and made a decision on the best to stay at on a future trip - Goonans Hut.

We then made our way to Store Point and across to Edwards Hill. This track was pretty rocky and very narrow - but nothing too tough.

We cruised down McEvoys track which is an unsealed road, turned into Binns Road and were heading to Walhalla when we passed Deep Creek Track 4. My mate had done the Deep Creek Tracks before and said he had no real dramas in his Nav. Well then - if he can, I can! We decided on Deep Creek Track 1.

A nice steep drop into the creek and then carefully negotiated the creek bed. Great fun - and great guidance from my navigator! As we left the creek we met a group of 3 fairly modified rigs - one pulled over to let us pass and we then pulled over to let the other two pass and the last one stopped for a chat to let us now what lay ahead - and he said to go for it - we'd have no worries!

We climbed the very step hill out, lots of rocks and slippery dirt and a couple of tight corners. At the top we were soon met by another group of 4modified rigs - big buggers! We pulled over and let then pass. The little Nav was dwarfed by a couple of the Cruisers.

With that out of the way we cruised into Walhalla and decided to take a look at the 'playground' at Coopers Creek. Through a couple of creek crossings and a splash in the dirty water and a bit of a wet hill climb before we headed home.

I was amazed at what we did and how well the D22 Nav handled it all. The OME suspension worked well and the Nav had what it needed to climb the steep hill out of the creek. I was grateful for the bash plates on the rocks, and the snorkel and new rear diff breather as the water at the 'playground' came up over the bonnet! Even the stock Bridgestone 693 All Terrains did a good job - with only 22psi in each. We took everything nice and slow - including the creek and the other water we passed through.

All in all a great day in the bush and I hope to run the same trip over a weekend and get some of the Vic Nav lads along.

The only damage was the front number plate got lifted and the plastic surround disappeared going into or coming out of the water at the playground.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of part of the Deep Creek No1 track..!!

Attachments

• deepcreek1.jpg
    deepcreek1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back