which oils to use?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy13b

Reaction score
hi, im new to all this i just bought a D22 3.0d 2002 STR 93,000kms and want to do a complete oil change engine, box diffs, just wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of oil i should use and how much oil does the engine take i heard it can take 8L is this right?

thanks
eddie

hi, im new to all this i just bought a D22 3.0d 2002 STR 93,000kms and want to do a complete oil change engine, box diffs, just wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of oil i should use and how much oil does the engine take i heard it can take 8L is this right?

thanks
eddie

There is not really any right or wrong answer to this as long as the oil is a diesel engine oil. Oil choice is down to you and what you consider to be affordable and required, any suggestions from other owners are really only their opinion. There is quite a number of those preferences already listed in these threads for Nav's in general as well as specific models.

As far as how much the engine takes the 09 D40 takes about 7 litres including the filter so it's possible that an 02 could take up to 8 litres and without being able to give you an exact answer I'd suggest it would have to be more than 5 since most oil companies sell 5 litre bottles (it's Murphy's law).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate just check your logbook, The D40 has a very specific oil, 5 weight from memory, its like water. I'm not sure if the D22 has the same oil or not but it would pay to check before you buy any old oil off the shelf.

Brand preference is up to you.

There is not really any right or wrong answer to this as long as the oil is a diesel engine oil. ......

there is wrong oil with these.

DO NOT use CG rated oil on ZD30 motors.
nissan quotes something about top end lube. not sure if its the reduced ZDDP or less soot handling that CG has.
nissan recommend CF rated. i normally use CH-4 and avoid CI if i can. avoid the DPF friendly oils if possible.

I knew someone would take that right and wrong line too literally. Point was no one can tell you the "right" oil because there is no single oil that is right, there are many that are suitable though. We can all list heaps of wrong oils but as long as the oils meet the specs Nissan ask for then it's the right oil.

you have to take things literally. while this is a forum and info should not be treated as fact, i would hate to see someone ruin their ute because of bad advice. i really hate it when someone is setup to fail :angry:
fortunatly on most forums theres often someone to correct the poor advice.

you just can't chuck any old "diesel oil" in and expect it to last.

As Whitesnake once sang "Here we go again"..

Here's an easy way Noisy, since you have internet acces,
go and look up any of the oil Co sites, Caltex, Shell, Mobil, Castrol etc as they all have sections to 'Lube find' which list all or most lube required,
except if you own an '08 and later D22 on the Shell site.
Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline and Caltex have the D22 2.5 CRTD '08-'09 and all other year models.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote goes to Caltex Delo 400 Multigrade. Meets requirements
Buy in 20L drums (~$95) as it's quater of the price of the 5L containers (~$44)

Good day All,
From personal experience - what oils rate favourably for the 09 D22. - more importantly - what grade oil eg....5w/30 - 15w/40 etc etc. Interesting point - Stealership claims the 09 2:5CRD takes round 8ltrs of oil - Oil company websites say 4:3ltrs and when I put round 4:3ltrs in - it reads Full on the dipstick!!!!!! Thanx for your advice in advance.

Good day All,
From personal experience - what oils rate favourably for the 09 D22. - more importantly - what grade oil eg....5w/30 - 15w/40 etc etc. Interesting point - Stealership claims the 09 2:5CRD takes round 8ltrs of oil - Oil company websites say 4:3ltrs and when I put round 4:3ltrs in - it reads Full on the dipstick!!!!!! Thanx for your advice in advance.

I don't ask dealers too many questions, too painful most of the time. But I do remember reading somewhere that the 09 D40 only took something like 5-6 litres plus the filter, but then reading the owners manual that came with the car it's clearly stated that that it's up around the 7.3 mark with the filter.

Can't remember where I read it in the first place but going by the manual the figures I first read as quoted for the diesel were actually for the petrol so any figures can be misquoted and dealers figures should only ever be believed when they tell you they are making a loss in the sale of your new car. The recommendation from Nissan should be in your owners manual though and I'd tend to follow that before I followed anything else including oil companies websites, that doesn't mean the oil company should be deemed wrong but it pays to check.

A scan of the D22 manual.

Attachments

• TechInfo1 (Large).jpg
    TechInfo1 (Large).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 88
  • TechInfo2 (Large).jpg
    TechInfo2 (Large).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 85
In my previous D22 (ZD30) Navara I used Mobil Delvac HP untill it was discontinued,then I switched to Delvac MX. In 4 years I clocked over 200,000klm without any issues.

In my current D22 Navara I started out using Mobil 4x4 untill it was also discontinued. Now I use Mobil Super 2000 10w-40. Same deal - never any issues.

Back