The phantom squeak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0bbie

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is my first post but I have been reading through the site for a while. It is cool to read about other people's experiences with one of the coolest utes in the world!

I have taken my ute to several different places with no luck so I am hoping your collective insight can offer some advice.
I have a really annoying squeak coming from the front right of my ute when going over bumps when going straight & turning right but never when turning left. I have made the bonnet as tight as I can by unscrewing the rubber spaces which seems to make it a little better. Sometimes even just the vibration of closing the drivers door is enough to make it squeak.

I have told all this to mechanics & have had steering & suspension checked out but they say everything looks fine & cannot find the problem. I even spend $700 on a 'best guess' which proved to be not a good guess at all.

It is tolerable when driving round the city but as we have some land out country where the roads aren't so good I really need to get this solved before I either go crazy or broke from mechanics fees :)

As I said I would appreciate any ideas as to what this could be.
Thanks for reading

Robbie

Hi Robbie, had a squeak in the front of mine, similar to what you have stated, turned out to be the bonnet catch/latch. Sprayed both with CRC and all good, no more squeak. Probably not what is causing you problems but you never know.

Cheers John

Another good product is "dry lube" - it's a teflon type spray that drys to a dry film. Comes in a smallish sized green can.

Also....bonnet catch - I had a squeak coming from mine - sprayed it with lithium spray grease. Squeak gone.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will go & buy some lube tomorrow & spray the bonnet catch & rubbers. I will let you know how I get on.

Robbie

Check the bracket holding the transfer case. The one that bolts to it. Mine has a crack in it and I am waiting for the new one to come in. Sqeeking and has been pissing me off for weeks.

Dave.

Don't mean to sound like a dummy but where can I find the transfer case? I have tried to find images online with no success. I definately am in need of a navara anatomy lesson!

I went to the store today & purchased some teflon lube. I haven't heard the squeak again but I haven't been able to go on any bumpy roads yet so I will let you know how I get on

Robbie

Mate it hangs off the back of the gearbox and the front and rear prop shaft are attached to.

But sounds like you have found the problem.

Cheers to the other guys as I think I have found the other squeek.

Dave.

I also have an annoying squeak and its something to do with the bonnet. reason I know this is if I unlatch the bonnet the squeaks are gone. I have tried greasing the rubber stoppers and nothing.I seem to think mine mine be the after market bonnet gas struts.
Anyway to narrow it down try unlatching the bonnet at LOW speed and see if the squeak goes

I also have an annoying squeak and its something to do with the bonnet. reason I know this is if I unlatch the bonnet the squeaks are gone. I have tried greasing the rubber stoppers and nothing.I seem to think mine mine be the after market bonnet gas struts.
Anyway to narrow it down try unlatching the bonnet at LOW speed and see if the squeak goes

I have the exact same squeak. If I unlatch the bonnet at slow speeds its gone. I don't have the gas struts either.
I have tried evertthing. It drives me mad.:hmmmm2:

The suggestion I was told of originally was greasing the latch not the rubber stoppers but then that was on Canadian models so it could be different.

For a start I thought it was the headlight cover clips but have taken them off and no change. I think the grill is the next to come out .Its in the front somewhere but cant quite pinpoint it .

I had a squeak in mine coming from the bonnet area, this might have been mentioned already but i tightened up the rubber stoppers as they were loose and now the squeak is gone.

Annoyed the hell out of me for a couple of weeks... You put up with it for 18 months geez!!

No problems i hope this works on the other fellas trucks as well.

I also put some electrical tape around the hook part of the bonnet latch and that seemed to help as well.

Latest posts

Back