Headlight reminder - Jaycar kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljacko78

Reaction score
hi guys

I thoughts I'd try to install a headlight reminder buzzer (original thread - http://www.navara.asia/d22-electrical/2973-lights-left-indicator.html#post32270)

$27 DIY from Jaycar. I'm no auto-lekky by any stretch but I reckon I can install a few things with instructions so I thought this should be OK (done F900BT stereo, dual batt, spotties). Sinch after these ones hey....

Nup. Instructions on box said 1hr build. For me, 2hrs later I finally had all the diodes, capacitators, resisters, buzzers, links etc soldered on. Was kinda fun putting the circuit board together, but I really wasn't expecting to have to do all that myself (perhaps a little naive on my part)

Was very sure I had all parts connnected correctly. Followed all instructions correctly. Comes time to test the buzzer prior to install as per instructions - nothing. Did a check. Everything looked fine. Thought I might install anyways to see if that would work instead - nothing.

Guessing that I must have overheated and fried one (or maybe more) of the diodes etc when building the board up, but for the time it takes to check it all, I was no where near the 1 hr build stated on the box - 2 hr circuit build and 4 hrs to install with a check, re-check, swear a bit, re-check again and in the end it still didn't work.

Others may find these things a piece of cake.... but its not my cup of tea and I won't be buying a DIY kit like this again. The last pic on top of the bin is where the kit stayed at the end of the evening.

Best tip:
- you need to hook the kit up to battery, ignition switch, roof lamp, headlights and earth. There are two power circuit pics in the instructions - use the second one as they appear slightly different and the 2nd is clearer.
- For the roof lamp, use the light switch in the door frame as its an easy crimp point and can run wire under carpet to headlight wires where you may wish mount the kit
- The instructions for the circuit board were a little vague for a beginner like me. Missing instruction for the three EC units which is a double clip.
- All four screws for the plastic case did not screw in the pre drilled holes and I boared out the screw heads. Use bigger screws and it should work.

Or just buy a pre-made one instead....

Attachments

• headlight rem 01.jpg
    headlight rem 01.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 350
  • headlight rem 02.jpg
    headlight rem 02.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 413
  • headlight rem 03.jpg
    headlight rem 03.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Hi Jacko, looks like you had a fairly good crack at it. the circuit board looks pretty good.

where you said it connects to the "roof lamp", are you connecting it to the power side of the lamp when lit? you need to connect it to the door switch wire, you can test this wire as itr has power when the door is closed and earth when the door is open.

I reckon you would have connected it correctly, just checking.

yeah - got it on the power side.

I think you might need to change it over, if your on the power side. :idea: the wire needs to switch when the door opens to show earth / ground. sounds like you may have picked up the non-switching wire.

G'Day guys.

After seeing this post i was like i gotta get me one of those. Ive left my lights on many times.
Went to Jaycar this morning. Picked one up, came home soldered it all together, took bout 25mins.

Ran same long cables first (40mins); and then tested the circuit board IAW
the instructions. Then spent bout an hour tidying it all up and putting the truck back together.

Here's how i hooked it up.......(make sure you a have test light, this will make everything a lot easier)

The 12v came off my stereo. Not only is this a fused link but i put a piggy back on there when i installed my stereo. You always need 12V for something right.......

The Door switch was a bit tricky. There's not much there to play with. Ended up taking off the plastic covering the drivers seatbelt and ran the cable from the inside-out. Made my terminations and screwed it back on. Then made it all neat by running it under the floor.

Used the earth down by the drivers door. Ran that under the carpet too.

Tapped off ignition and lights from the steering column.

Installed the little unit underneath the ashtrays in the centre column. Just enough room. The speaker is plenty loud enough. Im using LK2 and LK3

As ljacko78 said you need to drill out the holes and use bigger screws to get the lid on.

Quite a smart little circuit.

......Now door opens, buzzer sounds. No more lights left on for me.

Good luck gents

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up lads! I have been meaning to get around to doing this for so long! I cannot beleive nissan didnt put one of these in!!! Frustrates the hell out of me!

hey mate how did you go with the kit? I fitted it the other month.

Ran a small wire from the drivers side door switch into the console.

installed mine today took about 2 hours from start to finish

tapped into the door light right up near the fuse box
also grounded there too
got constant +12v and ACC from the head unit
tapped the parker circuit in the steering column not the headlight cos i always left parkers on not headlights
mounted box just next to the steering column

works great and as said before plenty loud enough

Using the other thread instructions I bought a piezo buzzer and tapped into one of the ignition and light wires, was piss easy. Details in other thread.

thought about doing that but the jaycar one has a door sense so liked that way better even if a tad more expensive

here it is just under the dash

Attachments

• IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
light bizza

Hi guy's
Just thought let you know you can buy one from narva that is read made (size of relay)cost about $15.00 and half hour to install .Wife loves it
Chris

I'm not much on buzzers but I always liked the Forester I had because the headlights didn't work until you ran the engine. Park lamps worked but not the main lights, so I'm thinking of using the alternator output wire to trigger a cut out relay on the main/high beams.

Ljacko78 just noticed in ur pic it looks like u soldered the IC's directly to the board?? if so thats why not working

What color are the wires u got the Parkers, or headlights from steering column?
What color cable did u tee into for the door light?
For a Nissan Navara d22 2003. I just purchased one of the jay car kits and need to know what color the wires are on the Navara

I bought mine off ebay from china and the install was pretty easy.
Mine barely larger than a 10c coin and is doublesided to the dash to one side of the steering wheel underneath.

works fine.

Latest posts

Back