Flagship Navara undergoes refit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010/commercial/nissan/navara/flagship-navara-undergoes-refit-18758

Added safety, performance and refinement in Nissan's Navara ST-X spells trouble for Toyota

Nissan plans to hit Toyota's HiLux hard when the 'Series 4' facelift of the D40 Navara, goes on sale around May/June of this year.

The importer has air-freighted two examples (manual and automatic) of the upgraded Navara ST-X diesel dual-cab 4x4 into the country, presenting them to the local media for evaluation. While the Series 4 facelift will be introduced for all Navara variants -- and the Pathfinder SUV -- it's the range-topping ST-X diesel dual-cab 4x4 that has been subject to the most thorough going-over.

No surprise there either; this variant represents 46 per cent of the combined 4x2 and 4x4 pick-up market in Australia, according to VFACTS. No other variant accounts for more than 10 per cent. Of that 46 per cent market share for 4x4 diesel dual cabs, the Navara took 27 per cent last year, even outselling the industry champ, Toyota's HiLux (with 24 per cent).

Introducing the upgraded models to the local press, Nissan's Brand Manager for Commercial Vehicles, Matt Baily, stressed that the Navara will build on its strong performance in the market last year with changes this year to make it more "SUV-like" than ever, and the focus of those changes will be principally the diesel ST-X range-topping variant.

"In terms of Navara, Navara ST-X has been our number-one-selling Ute... and that accounts for about sixty per cent of all Navara sales," he said. They're profitable sales for Nissan too, being pitched at 'tradies' who want a vehicle to double as family hack and recreational transport at weekends.

By comparison, Toyota is "strong in large fleet, so they've got a whole department -- with about 40 people or whatever employed -- going after large fleet businesses," says Baily. "We don't really have a strength in that area... [but] In terms of commercial vehicle sales, the dual-cab diesel's a very competitive market -- it's 50 per cent of all commercial vehicle sales -- and that's where we're dominant."

With the aim to keep ahead of HiLux in this niche, Nissan has introduced a revised turbodiesel engine which offers "class-leading" power and torque, but does so consuming fewer litres of fuel and pumping less CO2 into the atmosphere. The figures supplied by Nissan tell the story: 140kW of power for the new engine represents an 11 per cent improvement over the previous engine and 450Nm of torque is a 12 per cent hike. Fuel economy is 13 per cent better, rated at 8.5L/100km for the six-speed manual variant and 9.0L/100km with the five-speed automatic box. CO2 emissions are down 15 per cent (224g/km manual, 238g/km auto).

Engineering changes for the turbodiesel powerplant -- which Nissan terms the 'YD Kai 3' engine -- include a new cylinder head designed for improved swirl efficiency, a new direct-injection system that now operates at 2000bar (previously 1800bar), variable-nozzle turbo with electronic control and a by-pass valve for the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) cooling system to enable faster warm-up from a cold start. Nissan has also worked on reducing engine NVH by use of flexible tubing at the turbocharger outlet.

From a brief drive of the new diesel ST-X variants around the Lerderderg Gorge west of Melbourne, we can testify to the genuinely "SUV-like" NVH levels inside the cabin, as well as the engine's easy and effortless performance on the road. It's not just hype.

Nissan claims the Navara diesel will outstrip all its rivals in the class for power and torque, but it's bettered for fuel consumption by manual variants of the HiLux SR5, Triton GLX-R, Holden Colorado LT-R and Isuzu D-Max LSM, although the auto variant of the Navara shades its rival counterparts, other than the Holden and the Isuzu -- level-pegging the Nissan on 9.0L/100km.

The revised engine drives through the standard six-speed manual transmission or the carried-over five-speed automatic option, which has been updated with a sequential-shift manual-mode facility. When the revised Navara arrives in the country, it will carry over the 198kW petrol V6 unchanged.

Outwardly, the new model year Navara is one for train-spotters, frankly. There are subtle changes to the headlights and the bonnet. The v-shaped grille shell is less pronounced and the bumper is rounder and projects 80mm further forward, but it's the six-spoke 17-inch alloy wheels (replacing the five-spoke 16-inch wheels fitted previously) that will be the plainest tell-tale to the new vehicle's identity. According to Nissan, the new wheels boost the Navara's ground clearance and approach/departure angles also.

Inside the new Navara (the ST-X specifically), Nissan designers have specified softer materials of a better quality for the dash, seats and interior moulds. The centre console and fascia designs have been revised, as have the instrument binnacle layout and door trims. Additional bright/gloss finish surfacing is used throughout the cabin.

The six-stack CD audio system is upgraded with speed-sensing volume, MP3 compatibility and Bluetooth connectivity. Other new or revised features include dual-zone climate control, remote audio/Bluetooth/trip computer controls on the steering wheel, trip computer, external temperature gauge, speed-sensitive variable windscreen wipers and 'follow me home' lighting. The electric mirrors now fold in fully for car washes or parking in narrow spaces.

Importantly, the upgraded Navara ST-X (diesel only) gains stability control -- or Vehicle Dynamic Control to use Nissan's term for it -- and both petrol V6 and diesel ST-X variants score side-impact and side-curtain airbags to complement the dual front airbags. Based on our short drive on the unsealed roads of O'Brien's Crossing, the VDC worked seamlessly without pre-empting the driver. The system would allow a degree of wheelspin or oversteer on dirt before cinching things up again.

For all the good news, there's some bad -- the pricing. Claiming the Navara retains a $2700 price advantage over its "closest rival", Nissan has raised the price of the petrol ST-X by $2070 for the manual variant and the diesel manual by $3130. New prices are now $47,990 (manual ST-X petrol), $50,240 (auto ST-X petrol), $50,990 (manual ST-X diesel) and $53,240 (auto ST-X diesel).

Nissan expects the revised Navara and its Pathfinder SUV sibling to 'wholesale' from May with an on-sale date in June.

Sounds good but the stability control on diesel only ?

Why not offer it on the Petrol to ?

The price increase sounds fair considering all the extra stuff.

Dave.

well pretty much all that is standard in my uk spec navara aventura apart from the body changes.17 wheels are standard in the uk.so are they just importing a uk spec ute which has been out since 2006 over there

"'follow me home' lighting"

wonder what that is?

Its where the lights stay on for a short time after turning off and removing key to give you light to go to your front door without stepping in present from your mastiff

I want to know about the V6 diesel!
Unless they bring it here i'm going Hilux, and soon

I'll be getting one of these if it goes into production!

Attachments

• jeep ute.JPG
    jeep ute.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 251
They've been talking about them for ages, you know if they are actually going to do them? i'd be all over it!

Rumors going around are that Chrysler are going to revise their line up, pushing the wrangler as their flagship mode,l their number one saler by far. Their talking about 2WD versions, and the possibility of the ute.
We just bought a 2 door diesel manual Wrangler, It's harsh in the suspension but the engine and gearbox crap all over the D40 Navara, It's effortless to drive compared to the Nav. If I didn't need a ute I would be buying another tomorrow.
So fingers crossed they release that ute!.

Its where the lights stay on for a short time after turning off and removing key to give you light to go to your front door without stepping in present from your mastiff

I don't know what is gayer, the fact it has "follow me home" lights or the fact that they advertise it!

It is not a new feature,if i pull the indicator stalk towards the steering wheel and hold it there for about 5 seconds, then let go the low beams stay on for about 30 seconds.

Sounds good but the stability control on diesel only ?

Why not offer it on the Petrol to ?

The price increase sounds fair considering all the extra stuff.

Dave.

mmmmmmmmmmmm I don't know about that....I got my D40 new in Dec 08 - had a snorkel, steel bar and winch, tow bar and hitch, brake controller, IPF driving lights, window tint, blue tooth thingy for th phone/radio connection, OEM tyres replaced with 6 BFG A/Ts, a 5th alloy wheel, kept the steelie as a second spare and a bunch of auto electrics stuff.....all for the princely sum of $43600....so the new one represents a bit of hike in my case. I hope they have improved the fuel consumption in the auto though.

The poms are reporting as low as high 7's litres per 100 in the autos!!!

Sounds good but never know till they have been around for a while.

I will never buy the first of any new model etc for the simple reason that manufacturers always do running repairs/improvements to vehicles as they go.

Also just so people are aware... Aftermarket side rails will no longer be an option for these as they have the curtain airbags.

Bring on the v6 diesel too that would be awesome.

Hey guys first time poster.. I have just ordered one of these. Will take ownership in the next ouple of weeks.. I Have just traded my Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon ( Deathtrap! ) The thing had problems within the first month and for the rest of the 2 years I put up with it.. Not the least of the problems being a major death wobble issue which is very common in these..

After that fiasco I am hoping that the Navara will be a good vehicle..

Nice one mate,how long to delivery?
Stick up some photo's when it you get here.
I'd be interested in how the motor is with the new power & tourque figures, hope its gets off the mark a bit better now.

Latest posts

Back