Gears number 3 and 5 disengaging

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismango

Reaction score
My 2005 D40 Navara engages all gears but number 3 and 5 comes out (slips) after driving for some time when you stop acceleration. What can be the cause and how can it be rectified? :rock:

Last edited:
I don't like the sound of this...... but hopefully it will be just a shifter bush and maybe a selector bush too.

Remove the boot around the leaver and check that the leaver is not hitting on the surround. Also check when driving as sometimes worn gearbox mount and engine mounts allow the box to shift forward slightly popping it out of gear. It doesn't take much pressure to knock it out of gear when not under load.
But as it is doing it when you back off the accelerator, It could be wear in the box and syncros.

My 2005 D40 Navara engages all gears but number 3 and 5 comes out (slips) after driving for some time when you stop acceleration. What can be the cause and how can it be rectified? :rock:
chris selector bush as the others said common in 3 and 5 I would fit one up for you but your a bit far away lol

As stated above, first remove the boot to eliminate interference from that. Go for a drive and see if there is any difference, if that solves the problem, then I would take a hard look at the gearbox / engine mounts. If nothing hits anywhere and it still happens, you want to be looking inside the gearbox.

If you have a body lift, then some kind of mechanical interference is even more likely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back