Red Air Bag Light Flashing???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowy85

Reaction score
Hey guys,

All of a sudden my air bag light has started flashing. On top of this my horn isnt working. When I remove the fuse for the airbag it is fine and this causes the light to go on solid Red. Upon replacing the fuse it begins to flash again.

Anyone experienced this before?

Cheers,
Paul

It's trying to tell you you need to hit the switches and lay rail, then fit a train horn.

Are you saying when you pull the airbag fuse, the horn works again?

It's trying to tell you you need to hit the switches and lay rail, then fit a train horn.

Are you saying when you pull the airbag fuse, the horn works again?

Hahaha.... Nah the horn doesnt work with the fuse in or out... The airbag light flashes with the fuse in, and with the fuse out it is on solid. So its not the fuse... Hrmmm

try this:

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

Do these cars have a clock spring in the steering wheel/column? If they do, this is the problem. If they don't, whatever they have instead is the problem. You'll probably need a new part.

Thanks guys appreciated....

A few weeks ago i had the steering shaft out and put an extender in... But the light didnt start doing this till weeks later. So maybe the horn is just a co-incidence? Hrmmmm

Ill give that a shot tonight George! Cheers

The electrical current has to get to and from the horn and the airbag somehow and since both are not working, I'd say you have a faulty clockspring. If the airbag light returns after you run through the reset procedure, this should be what you look into.

Hey lads.... OK did the procedure up top. And it just started flashing in this sequence:
on..............on...on.............on..................on...on.................on and so on....

Anyone know what this means?

Pro-Nav, do you know where this clock spring is located? Would it be physically broken or could be faulty even if it looks ok.

Cheers
Paul

If you can obtain a CONSULT readout, use this to confirm diagnosis. The part I am referring to is properly called the spiral cable. Remove completely from the vehicle as per attached instructions and test for continuity with a multimeter. Please observe all safety precautions detailed re: unintentional airbag deployment.

Attachments

• Spiral Cable.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 640
my light is on the same, heading out to do this reset now, I have a scangage, but its not showing any codes.

It came on a couple of months ago, i took it to nissan, there were apsolutly hopeless cos the computer didnt tell them what was wrong. dunno what the dump asses did but the light went out for a few days then came on again.

Airbag light flashing.

try this:

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

Thanks heaps for passing on your knowledge. The light in my ute started flashing last week for no apparent reason and was driving me slowly insane. Tried your fix and it worked first time. Had called local Nissan dealer and was told I probably had an open circuit in the airbag or seatbelt wiring and they would need my ute for the day. Glad to avoid them and very grateful for your advice. Where do you guys learn these tricks?

my guess is it's the clockspring.. every car with air bag in the steering wheel have to have clockspring so you can turn the steering wheel and the airbag wire is not turning with it.. ( not sure if you get what i mean )
did this before at work when i was changing a steering column in a customers car and once we replaced the clockspring it was all sweet..

Back