Mickey T's ATZ vs BF Goodrich AT

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo77

Reaction score
G'day fellas new to the forum here, looking forward to chatting and learning more from you all!

I am just wondering what tyres would suit me better, i try go off roading at least once a week and mainly just in the sand near the coast, i have stock bridgestone duelers (235/70/16) on at the moment which are ok but i am after more traction.

I am torn between the BF Goodrich AT's 265/75/16 and the Mickey Thompson ATZ 265/75/16, 3 inch lift kit going in tomorrow.

Cheers

Personal choice I'd go the BFG's as thats just what I have now and am very happy with them, have done nearly 40k on them and plenty of tread still and perform great for mild-med offroading.

Welcome Tommo77, i've heard the Mickey Thompson ATZs are too aggressive for sand. the tread pattern is too open for muddy terrain and self cleaning. BFs have a good all round rating.
but that's just what i have read, others may offer some personal experience.

Cheers fellas, probably should post in another section but also will i encounter many problems with the 3 inch lift rather then 2 inch lift, have done a bit of research but opinions are varied quite alot?

I've got the BFG's and i am happy with them. Jason just got a set of 4 rib ATZ's from Mickey T, they are an awesome looking tyre. I'd be tempted over to them next time.

There are two types of Mickey Thompson ATZ - 4 rib and 5 rib. The 4 rib is a more open, more aggressive tyre. The 5 rib is a more closed pattern.

I've run BFG's for many years in the past without a problem - they are (in my humble opinion) a good quality tyre and owners seem to rarely complain about their performance or lifespan.

Having not owned MT ATZ's, I can't offer an opinion.

Open tread pattern tyres digging into sand - I regard this as somewhat of a myth. I regard "mud terrain" tyres as the new "all terrain". Rubber compounds etc have come quite a long way over the years, and now it's not unusual for people to get good mileage from muddies while still using them every day, over all sorts of terrain. I use my muds (currently running MTZ's on the D40) on every kind of terrain you can imagine - it's more about driver behaviour than tyre pattern. A few weeks ago my MTZ's dug into the thick sand along the shores of Eucumbene less than a friend with road tyres on his Triton. Previous vehicles - have found mud tyres (mainly used to use BFG or Bridgestone muds) to just keep clawing away) in sand at places like Newcastle - but never seemed to get stuck.

Again, only my opinion, and maybe it's a few years of 4wding coming out and something like 7 4wd's under my belt, but I'd still put it down to driver behaviour than tread pattern.

Here's a dark horse for your consideration - the Bridgestone all terrain - can't recall the number, is it the D694??? Nice "soft" shoulder profile which suits the sand nicely, and getting great reviews out there for quite a while now.

G'day Tommo77, IMO the stock duelers are a good sand tyre! Like ants is saying it's all about driver behaviour. I'm running Cooper ST's, but if I don't air down they will dig themselves in nicely in the sand with too much right boot on the pedal. Likewise on any surface the right air pressure is vital to their survival. Cooper ATR's are an excellent sand tyre according to a recent tyre test and people who have them are getting a lot of km's out of them.

Cheers Brad

I got a good 60k out of my BFGs before switching to some bighorns. reckon I could have got another 7-10k out of them. cost between the two - I'd have thought the MTs would be more expensive so may depend on ur budget

agree with nevyn on the stocks as sand tyres and right pressures. Have fun.

I've got the 4 rib ATZ's at the moment and I've had BFG AT's on a previous vehicle, both are great.

Have been dealing with a tyre place down here in Vic for my problematic front end. Mickey thompson MTZ 265 75 16 fitted and balanced $310.
Smith Clark Tyres greens road Dandenong. Also do Steel rims $90 and up. Tell Nigel that the bastard Blue Navara sent you!..

Blatant plug but these guys are specializing in the 4x4 tyre market and are reasonably priced

Latest posts

Back