ironman fridge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macnav05

Reaction score
Im in the hunt for a 60 ltr fridge and was wondering if anyone has or had an ironman one . My dad has weaco and swears by it and my brother has engle and reckons there the ones to have but are both pretty pricey . Ironman are cheaper but I don't know much about them any help would be greatly appreciated . Ok cheerio .:cheers!:

www.ironman4x4.com.au only shows a 50L fridge as the largest but their downloadable catalog shows a 65L dual-zone and a 74L unit as well. On the web site they mention that the 50L uses the Danfoss BD35 compressor. The PDF catalog shows its power draw at 40W which is about right (peak, and on average it will draw less than that). The 65 and 74L versions draw 55W but it doesn't say what compressor is used - I'd guess the BD55.

Either compressor (also used by Waeco) is a good, solid and reliable performer. The Engel uses the Sawafuji Swing compressor - a different way of doing things, but also a solid, reliable unit. The Engel's electronics have a better reputation than the Waeco, particularly Waeco control circuits from around 2010-2012 inclusive, which had a small component on the circuit board that would suffer excessive voltage drop and cause the fridge to think the battery was dying. More recent Waeco units don't have this problem. I only mention this in case the manufacturers of the IceCube are using old Waeco circuits. The problem can be easily fixed, so the unit IS worth having.

Oddly enough - and I don't know if it's a misprint or not - the 65L and 74L specs in the Ironman PDF file are identical. Dimensions, weight, power - everything. Under those circumstances I'd buy the 74L unit - but I'd check with them first and see.

I recently bought an ironman fridge and had my heart set on a 65L dual zone, I ended up getting the 50L icecube as I wanted the option to fit it in the cab and the 65/74L chest ironman freezer just wouldn't fit in the back door as it only opens a short distance.

The difference between the 65 and 74L is purely the divider, so the 65L can be used as a fridge and freezer at the same time, only certain sides can be used though so only 3 out of 4 fridge freezer options are available, I assume this is due to the location of the compressor in the unit. So the 74L is the same external dimensions just has no divider hence giving it an extra 9L capacity but has the down side of only being able to use it solely a fridge or feezer. And yes they run the larger danfoss style compressor called the BD50f.

The new 4wd action mag has a test on heaps of fridges, got it today in the mail. Weaco was the winner :)

I see more engels on the road than anything else but the danfoss is a great unit and fitted to heaps of makes as long as the insulation is good they are bulletproof earlier wacoes had electrical dramas but that seems all good now

Waeco fridges don't use genuine danfoss compressors anymore, they use their own version or copy of a danfoss now. My kid just bought one and that was the spiel

I have been told there is no genuine danfoss compressors being made any more, the company who has bought the danfoss brand/copyright now produces them not in germany and somewhere cheap like china.

I cant find anywhere to verify this though, this was what some bloke in rays outdoors told me

Like everything in life, a good strong reputation and name is built up, then companys piss it to the wind and start getting it made in china

My research in September last year showed that the ironman 42 litre fridge was made by Companion, it was on sale for $595.At the time Aldi were the same thing rebranded Stirling for $450. I ended up buying exactly the same thing, rebranded Cenco, off ebay. Link to the current ad: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACC-40-L...27?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d2b7770bf

I got it for $370 buy it now delivered to my door in 2 days. I looked at the user manual for all three - they were identical. I've just come back from our annual beach holiday where this fridge ran at 3 degrees on 240v non stop from 26/12 until 12/01. I took it to the Deni ute muster a couple of days after I got it and it worked flawlessly on 12v. So far it's a bloody good fridge for the dough.

The above ebay seller has the same thing in 50 litre, and also sells the covers, which I think aren't necessary. They have a Danfoss (now Secop) compressor, 3 levels of battery protection, high and low power settings, and you can switch the display between Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Hope this helps. Genuine info, no affiliation, no bullshit

Back